Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 11 Jun 2010 (Friday) 15:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sow Grizzly & Four Cubs in Yellowstone

Shutterrific
55 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 11, 2010 15:43 |  #1

Our first full day in Yellowstone and by 9:30a a small crowd, in comparison to the following days, was entertained by the mother sow and her four cubs. We watched as the sow trotted from the north end of Swan Flats to the south end some 300 yards off the east side of the road with all four cubs in tote and the runt bringing up the rear as a much smaller dot. As they headed south covering the distance in quick time they got closer to the road. Eventually getting within 40 yards. The cluster of gathering vehicles stopping in the road prevented her from crossing as she clearly wanted to do. The relentless crowd had prevented the crossing and she retreated far off to the east. But we did get a good 30 minutes of extremely good opportunities. I know how lucky I was as I never came close the rest of my days on this trip. Every day after there was a complete zoo of vehicles and onlookers hoping for their chance. Enjoy...

Photos taken with Canon 5DMarkII, Canon 500mm f/4 + Canon 1.4xII

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon 5D MarkII w/grip, Canon 40D w/grip, Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Ziess 21mm Distagon f/2.8, Induro C313 legs, DM23 ballhead, Wimberley Sidekick, Canon 1.4xII & 2.0xII. **Become a Fan** (external link)

sponsored links
vmaidens
860 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 11, 2010 16:00 |  #2

2 and 3 are fantastic!

http://www.vincemaiden​sphotography.com (external link)
http://twitter.com/VMa​idensPhoto (external link)
http://500px.com/Vince​Maidens (external link)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,788 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 11, 2010 21:09 |  #3

We heard about this mama when we were there but never saw her. Lucky you and great shots!!

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Click-it
772 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 12, 2010 09:38 |  #4

Very nice catch. That had to be a blast to see.

Canon 30D & 40D :cool:
Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon 85mm f/1.8 - Tokina 10-17mm fisheye lens.
Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L IS, 24-105 F4 L and 17-40mm f4 L
Canon BG-E2 Battery Grip / Canon 430 EX and 580 EX II.

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,301 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 13, 2010 12:06 |  #5

A wonderful experience for you, I'm sure. Good work.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

M50D
725 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 13, 2010 13:18 |  #6

Bill, after reading the exif I see we were there the same day but didn't happen by that area until latter when she was over againt the hillside. So we weren't so lucky getting close photos of her with the 4 cubs, but we did find others the next day. You got some great photos by the looks of it.

Flickr (external link)

dano57
794 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 13, 2010 19:24 |  #7

Awsome shots!

Dan - Central Oklahoma
www.imagesbywest.net (external link)
www.classychassisphoto​.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/ClassyChassisPhoto (external link)

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,280 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 13, 2010 19:25 |  #8

very nice, thanks for sharing

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

Steiny
70 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 14, 2010 02:15 |  #9

I happened to be in Yellowstone within the last few days and also saw this bear with the 4 cubs. What a sight to see. When we saw the crowd of cars, it looked like a scene from an NFL football sideline with all the huge lenses. I thought it was maybe some group of people who were on some sort of photography tour or class. But after asking around, it was all just individuals. Individuals with a lot of nice glass and equipment. At first when we pulled up, I was trying to gather information and one lady with a big lens very snotty said to me, "I do this for a living". It was almost like it was her territory and how dare I try to find my spot out here to see these bears. Thankfully others were very kind and actually let me look through their lenses to see these bears up close. It truely was a rare sight and glad I got to witness it. Came back the next day and there was a crowd out there again, but we must have just missed the bears. I have not looked through my pictures yet but if I get any thing worth posting I will share with the group here.

Shutterrific
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 14, 2010 11:02 |  #10

Steiny wrote in post #10357552 (external link)
I happened to be in Yellowstone within the last few days and also saw this bear with the 4 cubs. What a sight to see. When we saw the crowd of cars, it looked like a scene from an NFL football sideline with all the huge lenses. I thought it was maybe some group of people who were on some sort of photography tour or class. But after asking around, it was all just individuals. Individuals with a lot of nice glass and equipment. At first when we pulled up, I was trying to gather information and one lady with a big lens very snotty said to me, "I do this for a living". It was almost like it was her territory and how dare I try to find my spot out here to see these bears. Thankfully others were very kind and actually let me look through their lenses to see these bears up close. It truely was a rare sight and glad I got to witness it. Came back the next day and there was a crowd out there again, but we must have just missed the bears. I have not looked through my pictures yet but if I get any thing worth posting I will share with the group here.

Well, I hope some of those "Snotty" photographers read this and take note. If I had to make my living being an ass, I think I'd find a new line of work. Sad thing is there are a number of photographers in Yellowstone with the same attitude. It is very possible to be a successful photographer without being so damn cut-throat. The experience is ruined when you run into people like that I'm afraid. Hope to see some of your shots.

Canon 5D MarkII w/grip, Canon 40D w/grip, Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Ziess 21mm Distagon f/2.8, Induro C313 legs, DM23 ballhead, Wimberley Sidekick, Canon 1.4xII & 2.0xII. **Become a Fan** (external link)

Steiny
70 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 14, 2010 11:17 |  #11

I don't expect anyone to change because of what I wrote or others who may have the same opinion. As soon as the comment was made, I turned my back and just continued to be in awe at the surroundings around me. From all the photographers, to the majestic park I was in, to the bears I could see in the distance, and to the beauty of the day that allowed me to be there at that time.

It is funny, I have this "conspiracy theorist" friend of mine who told me not to go Yellowstone. He said it could blow sky high. I said, If it does, I hope I am there to see it. I told him I am going to Hawaii later this year and he said basically the same thing, don't go cause it could blow. I said I am going and I could not think of a better place to be if I am going to be in harms way. I am not going to stop living and enjoying because something tragic might happen. In my opinion, his conspiracy theories have paralyzed him while life is going by. His loss, not mine.

Anyway, I am glad I made the trip to Yellowstone. My wife and I busted tail around the park in two days. We saw a lot, did a lot and enjoyed it all. We were exhausted. Hope to do it again some day at a slower pace though.

M50D
725 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 14, 2010 11:20 |  #12

Steiny, sadly it's not uncommon to run into some photographers like that who think they are pretty important, but as you said thankfully there are lots of nice ones. People with the big lenses attract almost as much attention as the animals sometimes, and some people are rude to them, perhaps some of them get to feeling frustrated, but it's still no excuse to put on the rude personality. I enjoy being around the people who are excited to see the animals, many for the first time.

I'm glad Bill posted his nice shots here for everyone to see, I only got to see and photograph that bear and cubs from a long distance.

Flickr (external link)

bbqkid8
302 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 14, 2010 13:09 |  #13

The first one is cute with all the little heads peeking in the background! I can only imagine the rush of photographing these guys.

Brian,
Canon EOS R; Canon 500mm f/4 Mark II; Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6 Mark II; Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Mark II; Canon RF 28-70 f/2; Canon 1.4x Extender Mark III;
https://www.brianbaqui​al.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 16, 2010 20:28 |  #14

great pics we tried for a week to get them and never once saw them :(

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 16, 2010 21:43 |  #15

nice shots

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

sponsored links

6,485 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sow Grizzly & Four Cubs in Yellowstone
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.