Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 21:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 7D focusing trials.

friggaesir
22 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 16, 2010 21:45 |  #1

I recently became a father, and thus rushed out to buy an actual good camera. I had not (and still don't) the first clue about photography, I just wanted to take some nice shots of my little guy, ya know? Went to Fry's, saw the 7D. It was in a price range I was comfortable with, and I bought it. Later, now that I'm enjoying taking pictures of things, I was Googling around about the 7D, and hey, whadda ya know, lots of people moaning about focus problems! That sucks! I just put down lots of money for this thing! I looked through some old pics, and hmmm I guess they're a little blurry? Maybe? I dunno, I'm not an expert.

This thread will document my fumblings as I try to ascertain if my 7D has focus problems, and if they can be corrected through that focus micro adjustment blah blah blah etc. You know what I'm talking about.

Canon 7D | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28-135 | The noobiest of noobs.

sponsored links
friggaesir
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 16, 2010 22:03 |  #2

I did a trial following some tips I saw on here.

Equipment:
Camera - Canon EOS 7D (duh)
Lens - EF 28-135
Tripod - Um... something I just bought. It's nice. If anyone cares, I can find out.

Setup:
0. Flashed firmware to 1.2.1.
1. Cleared all custom functions.
2. Cleared all camera settings.
3. Quality: RAW L, no JPEG.
4. Review time: indefinite.
5. Release shutter w/o card: disable
6. VF grid display: enable
7. Enabled Spot AF (which was used for all AF)
8. Mirror lockup - enabled
9. Drive mode: 2 second delay auto
10. Stabilization: off.

After that, I just took a photo of a target at -20 through 20 microfocus adjustment. Camera was on a tripod. The quality is surprisingly poor, but that is probably user error, because I suck.

ISO: 100
FL: 28mm
Shutter: 1/50
Aperture: f/4.5
Target distance: 5 feet

Camera was leveled and horizon-ed using the built-in 7D level.

-20:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'image/png'

-15:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

-10:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

-5:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

0:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

5:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

10:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

15:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

I stopped at 15, because it was clear things were just getting worse. -10 through 5 look the best, but they're all so crap. I need to try again tomorrow when there is better light, and I also need to either zoom in on the target, or move closer to it. I've read that the target needs to be 50x the FL, but 50 x 28 mm = 4.5 feet. I was 5 feet away. Perhaps I need to be closer due to the crop factor? Ideas?

binlerne
870 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 16, 2010 22:20 |  #3

What do your normal photos look like? At 0 micro adjustment? If they look fine, don't worry about micro adjusting them. The 7D has a new focusing system. Try reading the threads in here:https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=768556

My Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

friggaesir
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 16, 2010 22:40 |  #4

I thought they looked OK, but the wife was all "the pictures from your very expensive new camera are blurry" and now I just don't know anymore. Perhaps I should post a few, and get people's opinions.

Thanks for the link!

jp129
294 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 16, 2010 22:41 |  #5

I would suggest you bump up your shutter speeds (even though its on a tripod) and also do the test with better lighting. Something more evenly lit.

You will find that different lighting may give off different MA adjustments. For me, doing it outside in the shade gave me the best all around adjustments.

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

bruceq
108 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 16, 2010 22:45 as a reply to  @ binlerne's post |  #6

Take a look at the photos you've taken recently and see if you're happy with the results. That should be the real test.

You can literally drive yourself mad trying to over analyze using the method above. There are so many variables that come into play: lighting, being exactly perpendicular, af setting choice, where your focus point is positioned, ect.

Again... life’s to short; let your photos be the judge.:cool:

Cameras - 5D MkII/Grip, 7D/Grip, T1i/Grip
Lens - EF-S 10-22, EF-S 18-55, EF 35-70, EF-S 55-250, EF 17-40L, EF 24-105L IS, EF 70-200 2.8L IS, EF 70-210, EF 100-400L, Sigma 150-500 OS, EF 100L IS, EF 180L, EF 85 1.8, EF 50 1.8

timbop
Goldmember
2,980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 16, 2010 22:49 |  #7

You probably need to spend a little time learning what settings apply to different situations, and you will also need to apply sharpening to your images to get sharp results. Don't look at images at 100% either, as the sensor outresolves that lens anyway. 50% is still a big print, so don't drive yourself nuts.

Current: 5DM3, 6D, 8mm fish, 24-105/4IS, 35/2IS, 70-200/2.8IS, 85/1.8, 100-400/IS v1, lensbaby composer with edge 80, 580's and AB800's
Formerly: 80D, 7D, 300D, 5D, 5DM2, 20D, 50D, 1DM2, 17-55IS, 24-70/2.8, 28-135IS, 40/2.8, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 70-200/4IS, 70-300IS, 70-200/2.8, 100 macro, 400/5.6, tammy 17-50 and 28-75, sigma 50 macro & 100-300

friggaesir
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 16, 2010 22:50 |  #8

I've started a picasa album of pics I took a few days ago. Just walking around my area, snapping away at things. I thought they were sharp! But are they really? Perhaps y'all can take a look and tell me.

http://picasaweb.googl​e.com …260333/Canon7DF​ocusTrials (external link)

millwright
161 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 16, 2010 22:50 |  #9

I am no expert and there are allot of people on this forum with a great deal of knowledge. My thoughts are go into AV mode or auto and go out and take lots of photo's. Then take a look if you are having focusing issues. I had and still have an xsi before taking the plunge to the 7D and it has taken me some time to adjust to my new camera. Personally I wouldn't go into manual mode at this point. I am sure you are at the right place to ask for advice and your issues will be resolved.
BTW congrats on becoming a new father, now you are entitled to a fathers day gift, hmm maybe another lens is on the way ;)

Web sitehttp://www.wix.com/imf​inc/daves-photo-experience (external link)

S ­ P
174 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 16, 2010 22:51 |  #10

To get nice baby photos you either need a faster lens or an external flash that will bounce off of walls and ceilings, or preferably both. I'm guessing your photos are blurry because your shutter speed is way too slow either due to subject movement or hand shake blur. I'd post one of your baby photos that your wife thinks is blurry along with the shot data (shutter speed, ISO, etc). I'm guessing the issue has nothing to do with microfocus adjustment.

For posing subjects, 1/60s is about the minimum. To freeze casual movement you need at least 1/125s which would include babies moving the arms and head around because they don't know to pose or hold still.

Put your camera in manual mode at 1/125s, set the lens aperture to maximum (smallest number), set ISO to 400 or 800, and use the pop-up flash if that's all you've got and I bet your issues will clear up. :)

Steve
Instagram:@canikonnomnom (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,558 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 16, 2010 22:52 |  #11

If you go into this assuming you will have issues based on all the internet noise, you most likely will end up creating issues where there aren't any. First and foremost, learn photographic basics, then read your manual and learn the camera, then worry about the quality and whether it is camera, lens, or user.

Congrats on a great camera though and welcome to POTN.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

mikerosal
162 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 16, 2010 22:52 |  #12

Could also be the lens are defective, you only stated using one lens, you gonna need another lens that you can guarantee is sharp to rule out that 7D is the problem.

Canon 40D | 17-85 | 55-250mm | 50mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 70-200mm f/4 L

IPT
183 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 16, 2010 22:56 |  #13

Are you are aware that especially if shooting RAW, digital files usually benifit from some post shooting sharpening? P&S cameras used by most of the general public do this for you. Once you move up the ranks in quality of equipment (unless you preset it in the camera to do so) the system leaves it to your liking and judgement to assess and apply the desired amount of sharpening required to the image after you have taken the shot. One might argue that the final outcome of an image is a lot more dependant on the post processign than the exposure. I might go further and say that a properly exposed image ("to the right") straight from a camera would not look very good at all. Tweak it after the fact, and "Wha-la" an amazing image.

I can't remember the exact percentages or the exact quote, but Ansel Adams did a lot more in the darkroom than in the field to get the final outcome of his prints.

One other thing. That lens is not known to be one of the better ones. It's ability to resolve sharpness in the first place could be questioned. Consider the Canon 50mm F1.8. It's only like $80 (or at least it used to be) and is quite an amazingly sharp lens. You will quickly learn that no matter how good the camera, it must go thru quality glass first to record the image.

millwright
161 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 16, 2010 22:57 |  #14

friggaesir wrote in post #10376470 (external link)
I've started a picasa album of pics I took a few days ago. Just walking around my area, snapping away at things. I thought they were sharp! But are they really? Perhaps y'all can take a look and tell me.

I only saw one photo there, it looks ok to me the background will be out of focus if that is your concern. especially if you are shouting with a low f stop
Edit ok saw the others now,

Web sitehttp://www.wix.com/imf​inc/daves-photo-experience (external link)

S ­ P
174 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 16, 2010 23:01 |  #15

friggaesir wrote in post #10376470 (external link)

Lenses aren't always sharp at their maximum aperture, and I don't think the 28-135 lens is any exception. If you're shooting at 135mm you'll probably want to set the aperture to at least f/8 and preferably f/11 if you really want a sharp photo. Most lenses get sharper a stop or two down from their maximum aperture. Also you can turn in-camera sharpening up on JPEGs. Since it looks like you're shooting in RAW and using Bibble for conversion you also bring post-processing method into play. How much sharpening did you add in conversion, if any? And now you're playing with lens focus microadjustment. Too many variables.

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself and also making things too complicated. Agree with TeamSpeed. Start with and learn the basics and then start looking at other things if you're still not satisfied or think there's an issue.

Steve
Instagram:@canikonnomnom (external link)

sponsored links

3,943 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 7D focusing trials.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.