Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 22:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

20d flash problem

Jay1204
121 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 16, 2010 22:23 |  #1

My 20d flash does not pop up. It tries 3 times then brings up error messege. so I turned it off and hand wiggled it then it poped up. Tried again next day, same thing... I took it to rits/wolf camera. they quoted me $249.00 I said no thank you and came home. it bothers me that it only pops up when I try to lift it up(wiggle) by hand. so I dumped it in ebay for $350.00 I wonder if it is good price to sell. I was gonna sell it here but I have to have 30 or more post count.... so do you guys think is it fair price? I was going to buy 50d right away but someone mentioned here that 60d is due sometime soon. so I guess I'll wait for that.

sponsored links
whirligig
280 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 17, 2010 11:21 |  #2

anyone who is educated on the price of cameras is not going to buy a 20d that is malfunctioning for 350- much less a working one for 350. this person on the forum is selling his with the grip for that price:
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?t=886378&hig​hlight=20d
250 sans grip. do you really need the pop-up flash?

you can get a 50d for between 700-750 right now. i would go for a nice 50d and save your money over a brand new 60d when it comes out. or keep your 20d with the malfunctioning pop-up flash and buy yourself some sexy new glass. :)

Jay1204
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 17, 2010 12:41 |  #3

Even if I include 18-55mm ?

whirligig wrote in post #10379033 (external link)
anyone who is educated on the price of cameras is not going to buy a 20d that is malfunctioning for 350- much less a working one for 350. this person on the forum is selling his with the grip for that price:
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?t=886378&hig​hlight=20d
250 sans grip. do you really need the pop-up flash?

you can get a 50d for between 700-750 right now. i would go for a nice 50d and save your money over a brand new 60d when it comes out. or keep your 20d with the malfunctioning pop-up flash and buy yourself some sexy new glass. :)

whirligig
280 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 17, 2010 13:12 |  #4

i think that the kit lens is only selling for about 50 bucks. of course you can give it a try, but even a mint 30d with a kit lens costs only about 450 or less. you might be better off with craigslist than ebay... i always feel i like i do better if i sell on craigslist- plus, you don't have to ship it!

ZXDrew
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 17, 2010 13:33 |  #5

I would put it on craigslist. People have no idea about price on that site.

PhotoWolfe.com (external link)
Facebook.com/PhotoWolfe (external link)
Gear / My flickr (external link)

whirligig
280 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 17, 2010 13:37 |  #6

ZXDrew wrote in post #10379695 (external link)

+1 :)

Jay1204
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 17, 2010 17:43 |  #7

lol... I will try craiglist.

ZXDrew wrote in post #10379695 (external link)

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 18, 2010 13:27 |  #8

Check your personal integrity unless you disclose the problem. Don't know about you but mine worth a lot more than $180 (Canon's likely refurbish fee).

I had the same issue on a 30D - also shutter release sticking. Problem was sand. I had Canon work it over. They replaced the shutter release and cleaned the rest. $126 (using a friend's 30% discount).

You could try brushing it clean. If the problem is electronic then the camera's probably on it's way out and not worth fixing.

Gear List / Photos (external link)

Jay1204
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 18, 2010 14:22 |  #9

I indicated flash problem on the ebay so the buyers aware of the condition of the camera. My personal integrity is good to go.

NBEast wrote in post #10385873 (external link)
Check your personal integrity unless you disclose the problem. Don't know about you but mine worth a lot more than $180 (Canon's likely refurbish fee).

I had the same issue on a 30D - also shutter release sticking. Problem was sand. I had Canon work it over. They replaced the shutter release and cleaned the rest. $126 (using a friend's 30% discount).

You could try brushing it clean. If the problem is electronic then the camera's probably on it's way out and not worth fixing.

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 18, 2010 16:08 |  #10

Jay1204 wrote in post #10386173 (external link)
I indicated flash problem on the ebay so the buyers aware of the condition of the camera. My personal integrity is good to go.

Sorry to jump to the negative so quick and glad to see all the honesty karma floating around. Good luck with it.

Hey; the 1D and 5D users get by just fine without a flash.

Gear List / Photos (external link)

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 18, 2010 16:10 |  #11

I had the same exact problem with my 20D so I sent it off to the Canon service center in Irvine. I don't remember the exact cost but it was around $125. It was just dirt/lint in the latch mechanism. They cleaned and perhaps tweaked it a bit and it was just fine. Try some compressed air (not to be used inside the camera) and check the latch alignment. Should be just fine.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 19, 2010 01:27 as a reply to  @ Skip Souza's post |  #12

My 50D flash does the same.. First attempt I get an error message, I then give the flash a tap and wriggle ,,it pops up..

I'm not concerned,,I don't even care.. I never use the pop up flash anyway..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 19, 2010 07:14 |  #13

yogestee wrote in post #10388924 (external link)
My 50D flash does the same.. First attempt I get an error message, I then give the flash a tap and wriggle ,,it pops up..

I'm not concerned,,I don't even care.. I never use the pop up flash anyway..

Exactly the same problem and remedy with my 40D
Care factor?...zero.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 19, 2010 08:29 |  #14

My 20D used to do it when I bought it (2nd hand), it's very common. I cleaned any lint out I could see and then left the flash sitting up overnight a few times, hasn't done it since.

mhazlett
404 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 19, 2010 18:56 |  #15

+1 on compressed air. Had the same problem with my 20D, keep the flash closed and shot some compressed air at the space between the flash and body, never had a problem since. But if you do want to sell, 350 is to much for a malfunctioning 20D. They go for that in pristine condition on Adorama now. Included with the kit lens, I would say 300 would be a reasonable price. Hope either way you have success with your 20D it is a fantastic camera!

WEBSITE (external link)

sponsored links

2,840 views & 0 likes for this thread
20d flash problem
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.