Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 18:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pocket Wizard Mini TT1 and old PW's II

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 11, 2009 22:14 |  #16

only thing i wish the mini used AA's...ah well nothings perfect.

thanks for all the input guys

rory

.....yeah, but the "mini" wouldn't be so mini if it had AA's in it ! I have to admit I like the fact it's so low profile. I just got a couple of spare 2450 batteries for it from B&H....$10 for the two of them.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

sponsored links
k_strecker
428 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 11, 2009 23:58 |  #17

george m w wrote in post #8265119 (external link)
.....yeah, but the "mini" wouldn't be so mini if it had AA's in it ! I have to admit I like the fact it's so low profile. I just got a couple of spare 2450 batteries for it from B&H....$10 for the two of them.

add to that the fact that I'm at least 500 shots into using the mini and that's a *very* conservative guess . . . and PW utility is still showing me 1/2 power remaining.

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 12, 2009 00:33 |  #18

and PW utility is still showing me 1/2 power remaining.

.....isn't that cool !? I plugged in both of my TT5's this morning to do the firmware update, and it showed my batteries half used up on one of them.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

RoryOD
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 12, 2009 05:54 |  #19

george m w wrote in post #8265617 (external link)
.....isn't that cool !? I plugged in both of my TT5's this morning to do the firmware update, and it showed my batteries half used up on one of them.

Wait i didnt know about this!! if you plug it in to the pc will it tell you whats left in the battery?? thats class. the only reason for the wanting the AA's issue is that if something was to go flat on a shoot i have heaps of eneloop's on stand by! but if i could check the strenght of whats left that would be brill! another + for the mini :D

www.odonnellphotograph​y.ie (external link)
Canon Eos 1D mk III, 40D & 30D with grips. Canon 24-70 f2.8 L. 24-105 f4 L[COLOR=Black]. 50 f1.4. 70-200 f4 L. Sigma 10-20mm, 120-300 f2.8, 580ex MkII. 580ex MkI, 2x Pockwizard II Plus,

k_strecker
428 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 12, 2009 11:37 |  #20

RoryOD wrote in post #8266187 (external link)
Wait i didnt know about this!! if you plug it in to the pc will it tell you whats left in the battery?? thats class. the only reason for the wanting the AA's issue is that if something was to go flat on a shoot i have heaps of eneloop's on stand by! but if i could check the strenght of whats left that would be brill! another + for the mini :D

The one caveat being that you have to turn them on before you plug them in to get the battery info. Plugging them in while turned off won't show ya :)

But yes, it's a killer feature.

One of my flexes is low enough to be blinking red instead of green when turned on, but it's only a pinch under 25% full if I remember correctly. They seem to be pretty generous with the low-battery-blink warning if you're not around a PC. Even walgreens/cvs sellls the coin batteries so they should be easy to come by even in a pinch.

RoryOD
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 12, 2009 12:03 |  #21

thats one more for the "to buy" list along with a sunpak 120j they look to be great for strobist work! looks like ill need to see if i have any cousins coming home for the summer hols that can bring them back for me. dont think the new PW's are available in europe yet....nice to be ahead of the game :-)

www.odonnellphotograph​y.ie (external link)
Canon Eos 1D mk III, 40D & 30D with grips. Canon 24-70 f2.8 L. 24-105 f4 L[COLOR=Black]. 50 f1.4. 70-200 f4 L. Sigma 10-20mm, 120-300 f2.8, 580ex MkII. 580ex MkI, 2x Pockwizard II Plus,

Dennis ­ Evertse
37 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 14, 2010 15:35 as a reply to  @ RoryOD's post |  #22

I am thinking about getting a TT1 and TT5 OR 2 TT5's.

IF i get 2 TT5's i can trigger my 580exII from my 30D, but is it also possible to trigger my 30D when I have the 580exII in my hand (with HSS)?

And what cable do i need to do this?

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 14, 2010 16:14 |  #23

Dennis Evertse wrote in post #9795128 (external link)
I am thinking about getting a TT1 and TT5 OR 2 TT5's.

IF i get 2 TT5's i can trigger my 580exII from my 30D, but is it also possible to trigger my 30D when I have the 580exII in my hand (with HSS)?

And what cable do i need to do this?

Not sure what you mean by "trigger my 30D when I have the 580exII in my hand (with HSS)". Did you mean to ask if you can trigger the 580EX II even if you're holding it your hand? Or did you mean to ask if you can remotely trigger the 30D with the FlexTT5 sitting in the hotshoe in relay mode? If you want to remotely trigger the 30D with the FlexTT5, you will need a remote release cable that'll connect the FlexTT5 to the 30D remote release port. With just two units, though, you won't be able to remotely trigger a flash unless the flash is connected directly to the camera.

You'll need a cable similar to this:

http://www.flashzebra.​com/shutter_pw/0090.sh​tml (external link)

...Leo

Dennis ­ Evertse
37 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 15, 2010 06:28 as a reply to  @ PacAce's post |  #24

Yes that is what i meant.

I think I'm better of buying an TT1 an TT5 and a wireless remote for my 30D. Then I can have the 580EXII in my hand, en remotely trigger my camera and flash.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 15, 2010 08:40 |  #25

Dennis,
If you want a wireless remote for your camera buy the RF-602. It will also work as a non-TTL trigger for flash units. Nice features include flash wake up and they have a hot shoe to eliminate cables for flash connection.

I use one for a remote with MiniTT1 on camera and Flex TT5s. Second one for backup and to use with Speedlites if I want to go manual.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

leninglass
Goldmember
1,581 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 17, 2010 15:03 |  #26

SO I am not getting a clear answer here.. Could you guys help me out?

5D with Mini triggering AlienBees 1600 with PW II's as receiver.. What is the highest Shutter speed I can go to?

Canon 5D Mark III x2 - 14mm Mark II f/2.8 L II - 24 L II - 35mm f/1.4 L - 50mm f/1.2 L II - 70-200 f/2.8 L II IS - 100L Macro - 600EX-RT x3
Lenin Glass - One of Oklahoma's Premier Wedding Photographers (external link)

IUnknown
738 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 17, 2010 15:26 |  #27

Read through this:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=705851

Fiske | Film (external link)
5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | LEICA 50MM SUMMICRON-R F2 | Canon 135L | Elmoscope anamorphic lens | 430EX II

leninglass
Goldmember
1,581 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 17, 2010 15:55 |  #28

To answer my question with the link above - 1/4000s ... differs with what strobes you fire? I am firing AlienBees 1600. I just ordered the mini. I will try this out soon.

"One other thing, is that hypersync also works using Plus II's as recievers, as long as you are triggering with a Mini/Flex on camera. The one difference I have noticed is that you can't push hypersync as far using Plus II's as recievers. The maximum shutter speed I can get, with a 1DmkIII, is 1/4000s. "

Canon 5D Mark III x2 - 14mm Mark II f/2.8 L II - 24 L II - 35mm f/1.4 L - 50mm f/1.2 L II - 70-200 f/2.8 L II IS - 100L Macro - 600EX-RT x3
Lenin Glass - One of Oklahoma's Premier Wedding Photographers (external link)

sponsored links

6,240 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pocket Wizard Mini TT1 and old PW's II
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.