Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Apr 2010 (Tuesday) 16:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you regret your Tripod purchase?

asty80
585 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 17, 2010 16:53 |  #211

Well..the SLIK 700DX seems too heavy and I dont use it as much as I want to...
though I'm happy whenever I use it!

Canon 5D Mark iii, Canon 40D
24-105mm f/4 L IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 100-400L, 100mm macro, 430ex ii, SLIK 700DX tripod
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shyamyag (external link)
:)

sponsored links
RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 18, 2010 12:17 as a reply to  @ asty80's post |  #212

Having read all 15 pages (including all the drama), what do people think about having TWO tripods?

To the OP: I made multiple mistakes with my tripod purchases so far (2).

When I bought my 1st tripod, I was still using a point-and-shoot (well, a superzoom with angle-of-view-equivalent of 36-432mm, so I knew I needed something steady). I knew I was going to move into DSLR land at some point, so I bought a Slik U212 Deluxe in anticipation. On paper, it looked great -- it came up to eye level without centre column extension, it came with a quick release plate, it had indenpendent leg angle adjustment, and one could mount the head on one of the legs to get VERY low. Best of all, it fit into my starving-student budget very well -- only $130.

Mistake #1: The tripod was so big (27" collapsed) and so heavy (6 lbs/2.72 kg) that even with a double-shoulder tripod bag it was a chore to carry with me.

Mistake #2: The 3-way pan head was ok when shooting in the "landscape/horizontal" orientation, but "portrait/vertical" (or tilting up or down by more than 45 degrees) was a pain. The head had a spirit level on the panorama base, but the camera platform/quick release plate was NOT always parallel to the base, so even if I took 20 minutes to adjust the legs so the spirit level is perfectly centred, the camera might still be tilted.

So after a couple of years I gave up and bought an ultra-light tripod which received a lot of good review on (non-POTN) forums: Slik Sprint Pro. It only weighed 2.42 lbs/1.1 kg, even though it was made in aluminum. This allowed for a super-affordable price of $95. It collapsed down to 18.5", making travel possible, and its light weight meant I actually take it with me. Surprisingly, it can reach 63.9" (162cm) with the centre column extended. It also had a quick-release plate, and a spirit level (this time on the QR mounting plate). It can do independently leg angle adjustment, and one can mount the head on the bottom of the column, again making very low-level shooting possible.

Mistake #3: As you probably guessed, lightweight + cheap price = unsteadiness! Even though it was supposedly rated for 4.4 lbs (2kg), the thing was not very steady with my Rebel and a lightweight lens.

Mistake #4: Since the tripod was so light, if I tried to shoot in "portrait/vertical" orientation, the centre of gravity would shift so much that a strong gust of wind would initiate a "timmmmmmbbeeeeerr" sequence (and the necessary diving catch).

So, I'm learning tons reading this thread, and hope my horror stories are of use to some up-starters as well.

This brings me back to my opening question: How many people here use a two-tripod combo -- a heavy one for big lens close to home, and a light/small travel tripod?

Now that I have a job and is no longer limited to sub$150 budgets, I'm thinking about the Benro 1-series (CF) or Gitzo GT1550T for travel use, which is when I do most of my photography nowadays. However, with a 100-400 on crop, I am also debating whether I should invest in a 2- or 3-series Gitzo instead. However, buying both (with 2 decent heads from Markins, for example) will run up a bill approaching $2000.

Love to hear what people do/think....

:cool:

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List
Need/Want: More time for photography (And some talent would be nice.... :lol:)

stax
731 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 18, 2010 12:36 |  #213

RetroBlader wrote in post #10385441 (external link)
Now that I have a job and is no longer limited to sub$150 budgets, I'm thinking about the Benro 1-series (CF) or Gitzo GT1550T for travel use, which is when I do most of my photography nowadays. However, with a 100-400 on crop, I am also debating whether I should invest in a 2- or 3-series Gitzo instead. However, buying both (with 2 decent heads from Markins, for example) will run up a bill approaching $2000.

Love to hear what people do/think....

:cool:

A lot of folks have two or more tripods. I don't. To split the difference, I went with a 2 series Gitzo with four-section legs. Light, stable and compact enough to fit in carry-on luggage, but it's expensive, as you know. It's good for travel and local use. It will carry a 100-400mm lens, but that's about it. 300mm or smaller is ideal weight.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/staxnet/ (external link)

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=865770

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 18, 2010 13:15 |  #214

Having read all 15 pages (including all the drama), what do people think about having TWO tripods?

Sounds rather conservative to me.

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

IanC
199 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jun 18, 2010 16:10 |  #215

.......So after a couple of years I gave up and bought an ultra-light tripod which received a lot of good review on (non-POTN) forums: Slik Sprint Pro. It only weighed 2.42 lbs/1.1 kg, even though it was made in aluminum. This allowed for a super-affordable price of $95. It collapsed down to 18.5", making travel possible, and its light weight meant I actually take it with me. Surprisingly, it can reach 63.9" (162cm) with the centre column extended. It also had a quick-release plate, and a spirit level (this time on the QR mounting plate). It can do independently leg angle adjustment, and one can mount the head on the bottom of the column, again making very low-level shooting possible.

Mistake #3: As you probably guessed, lightweight + cheap price = unsteadiness! Even though it was supposedly rated for 4.4 lbs (2kg), the thing was not very steady with my Rebel and a lightweight lens.

Mistake #4: Since the tripod was so light, if I tried to shoot in "portrait/vertical" orientation, the centre of gravity would shift so much that a strong gust of wind would initiate a "timmmmmmbbeeeeerr" sequence (and the necessary diving catch)........

I bought the Slik Sprint Pro II for very similar reasons you have mentioned. So far after using it for at least 5 occasions, mainly night shots switching between a 5DMK2 with EF17-40mm & 40D with Sigma 18-200mm, it's stable enough for me & the pics turn out quite well ie: sharp.

Although I have started to use the mirror lockup feature & different exposure settings which I feel may have improved the pic quality too. I have tried using the tripod in a portrait/vertical with the 40D/Sigma combo & it did not topple over but again the tripod is a "II" version so perhaps SLIK may have addressed this problem vs. "I"....

Gear List
flickr (external link)

CW ­ Jones
737 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 20, 2010 07:53 |  #216

I just got my Manfrotto 190XPROB and 496RC2 head... I will never regret this combo! The legs are amazing construction and the ball head is great as well. VERY well made! I don't need the heavier duty legs because I don't have any huge heavy lenses just my 30D and some landscape lenses.

-Collin
Canon 30D Gripped + The "Budget Trinity" of lenses.
Full Gear List Here
Flickr (external link)
Razzi (external link)

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 09, 2010 11:12 as a reply to  @ CW Jones's post |  #217

I do regret my previous purchase of the Vanguard Alta + 264AP Aluminum Alloy Tripod with PH-32 Panhead. I did my research and found that it would be perfect for me. I wanted a good tripod head with smooth panning, so I can use it for video as well. When I got it, I thought it was great. The panning was smooth as silk.

I haven't really used it for my video camera, but mainly used it for macro or celestial shots. Unfortunately, since the pan portion does not lock, it got to be a PITA. Any slight bump or movement would shift it. If you're doing macro or taking photos of planets, this would SUK! I would find a star/planet, but I would accidentally bump the tripod and lose site of it. And due to it's orbital path, I would periodically adjust the horizontal and vertical for proper focus. This too got to be PITA, since I have to move the camera into position and then lock everything. Unfortunately, due to the weight of the camera (7D or 5DII with grip & 100-400L), the camera would lower. So I would have to adjust just above the target and I hope that once I lock everything in place, I would get it in center. Unfortunately, not. Another issue was I cannot tilt the camera too high, so I would have to adjust the rear legs and pull them back further, this making it more unstable.

So looking for a new tripod, I did my research. I first looked at the Manfrotto 498RC4 ball head, but then realized I would have problems for small minor adjustments. Did some research and found out about gear heads and saw a Youtube video review on the Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared head. The video review was in a different language. I understood enough by just watching the video and it looks perfect for what I need. So I placed an order for it. Since I'm getting a decent geared head, I figured I might as well spend the extra $$$$ for a quality tripod legs. I was thinking I may have some occasions where I may place the tripod in water, so I wouldn't want it to rust. I also figure I may use it in the cold, so I a metal tripod wouldn't be suitable, so I opted for a carbon fiber tripod. So I ordered the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 Carbon Fiber tripod. So hopefully this will be it for awhile. I know there are better, like Gitzo, but from what I've read, Manfrotto is a good quality tripod and head, so I probably won't be needing to replace this one. Unless I break it or I get a super tele. I will probably keep the Vanguard just to use with my video camera.

I just got the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 CF tripod and the 410 Junior geared head. It's a nice combo. I was a little disappointed that I'm not able to tilt the 410 gear head too high up, but I remembered the 055CXPRO3's center column can be set horizontally. So now I can shoot anything right above my head. :D The only issue I can see is when I shoot anything directly below, that the tripod legs may get in the way.

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 09, 2010 15:53 |  #218

Ecub, I have found the 410 Junior geared head very satisfactory. Not ideal for all occasions...too slow for sports or wildlife, but brilliant for architecture, landscape etc.
Good luck with your photography.

Growing old disgracefully!

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 10, 2010 02:59 |  #219

Ricardo222 wrote in post #10880221 (external link)
Ecub, I have found the 410 Junior geared head very satisfactory. Not ideal for all occasions...too slow for sports or wildlife, but brilliant for architecture, landscape etc.
Good luck with your photography.

Yeah. Just got it today and tried to use it to shoot Jupiter. It's almost perfect for me. I was able to make quicker, more precise adjustments compared to the Vanguard.

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 10, 2010 10:07 as a reply to  @ asty80's post |  #220

I don't regret my original Slik CF for my smaller DSLR. It was solid and perfect.

When I get the 5D2 and needed a travel setup, the Gitzo 1541t was perfect...until I discovered back pain on bending to shoot one day.

I still have no regrets about the Gitzo setup, I just needed a taller travel tripod, and found it with the Feisol 3441T (Tall.)

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 10, 2010 10:34 as a reply to  @ tvphotog's post |  #221

Bought my Bogen 3021 tripod first, and then the Bogen 3036 tripod for my medium format camera. Am now all digital, and the 3036 seems a little heavy sometimes, but use both and do not regret either one. BTW, heads are 3410. Don't know what the numbers are called now under Manfrotto.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,807 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 10, 2010 11:58 |  #222

Gee, we think alike, Nick!
In the 1990s, I had a Bogen 3221+Linhof Profi-II head for 35mm and medium format usage and/or portable work, and a 3236+3038 head for my large format monorail and/or studio usage. The 3236+3038 is a real brute at 14 lbs. I have taken it out into the field, but only rarely.
My 3221 was replaced for even lighter portability, with a Gitzo 2530 a couple years ago, along with an RRS BH40 for dSLR usage, and the Linhof is reserved for medium format usage.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 10, 2010 12:02 |  #223

I guess that I'm in the minority since there are so many 50 inch high pods with center columns. I went with good legs, but was never happy having to compromise the height, and having to lift the center column to get over obstacles or for framing. Too many images came out "good enough". Now, I spent a large amount of money on a 6'8 tall set of legs, and couldn't be happier.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

dahl
270 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 16, 2010 02:43 |  #224

I bought the Joby Gorillapod Focus with the X ballhead and I returned it after using it once on my trip in Panama. The tripod is an OK idea, but you need patience when you set it up. I felt it got frustrating to set it up and I would rather bring a real tripod and shot without those issues. I found the hassle made me use it less, so why keep it.

"To travel is to live." - H. C. Andersen
(don't forget your camera)
---------------
flickr (external link) I Twitter (external link)

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 17, 2010 00:59 |  #225

dahl wrote in post #10918899 (external link)
I bought the Joby Gorillapod Focus with the X ballhead and I returned it after using it once on my trip in Panama. The tripod is an OK idea, but you need patience when you set it up. I felt it got frustrating to set it up and I would rather bring a real tripod and shot without those issues. I found the hassle made me use it less, so why keep it.

That's exactly the problem with cheap tripods: they're more trouble than they're worth.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

30,406 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you regret your Tripod purchase?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.