Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 31 May 2010 (Monday) 15:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Opportunity for press pass, but should I take it?

EOS-100-10-1D
265 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 16, 2010 15:13 as a reply to  @ post 10373844 |  #31

Don't worry too much about the Gear! Here is a Photo I took form the Public Area at the British Superbike Championship Round at Cadwell Park recently of a P&S with a Press Vest:rolleyes:! I also took a photo of "Chippy" Wood, a Staff Photographer for Bike Magazine from the same event.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

EOS5D MkII, EOS1D MkII, EOS10D. EF 17-40 f4L, EF 24-105 f4L, EF 50mm f1.8 MkI, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF 70-200f4L, EF 300mm f4L, EF 1.4X Extender. 270EX, Metz 45 CL3

sponsored links
TC1986
124 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 18, 2010 07:07 |  #32

Ingsy wrote in post #10373613 (external link)
Now, all I need is a circuit guide for the best places to shoot from, having never been there before. I'm sure there's bound to be one on here somewhere.

I've just found this thread but I will be at Castle Combe on the Saturday, and I will see if I can find you. I will be on the spectator side from lunchtime, with a 7D and camouflaged Sigma 150-500.

If you haven't seen it already this map might be of help.
http://www.castlecombe​circuit.co.uk/circuit/​circuitmap.asp (external link)

As others have recommended in other threads, it is best to shot on the right hand side of the circuit (Quarry and Esses) in the morning and the left hand side in the afternoon (Bobbies and Camp) to avoid shadows.

Tim

Shooting wildlife with a 35mm Canon!

Ingsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
726 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 18, 2010 07:18 |  #33

Thanks TC, but I'll only be there on the sunday unfortunately - previous commitments.

Probably a silly question, but are there only certain areas on the press side of the fence I'll be allowed in? Or can I wander round the whole track? I guess I just go through by the marshalls posts or something?

As you can tell, this is all exceeding new to me :)

Zenfolio (external link) || Project 365 - less than 1 month to go! (external link) || Always happy for C&C on my images!
Canon 400D || 18-55 IS || Sigma 30mm F1.4 || Nifty TwoFifty || Not enough time :(

andrewc
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 18, 2010 07:35 |  #34

Always keep a barrier between you and the track. Only cross the track between sessions and best to ask Marshals first. Providing there is a barrier you can move around the circuit until you reach the end of any barriers. Keep eyes and ears open. If you get a chance, talk with the guy at signing on, explain its your first time at Castle Combe and they should explain where you can and can't go.

Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography • Facebook Entry • Canon EOS 7D / 50D / 40D / 24-105L / Sigma 100-300 f4 / 50mm f1.8 / Tamron 28-300 / 2x Canon 580EX2 flash / Interfit and Lastolite studio gear / Manfrotto supports / Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW650 and Computrekker

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 18, 2010 08:17 |  #35

Ingsy,
Make yourself known in to the Media Co-ordinator/Manager or whatever title is bestowed upon him/her
Don't know what it's like in the UK, but in Australia you have to sign on every day and you must be given an induction - that could be via a photographers briefing at the start of each day, it could be just on the first day of the meeting or it could be individually as you sign on.
You should be given a map of the circuit with "no go" zones marked on it.
If you are unsure of where you are allowed to shoot, seek out other experienced photogs and ask them. Better still, check with the Clerk of the Course. If you are trackside, ask the trackies, specifically the Sector Marshalls. If you are in doubt about if you can do something either don't do it or ASK before you do.
As far as where to shoot, don't be lazy and ask other photogs "Where's the best place to shoot"
Nothing pi$$es me off more than someone asking me that question - I usually point to the track and tell them "Out there". Do some work yourself.
It's a different matter if the question is something like "I was thinking of going down to Turn 1 for this session. What's the light like down there this time of day or is it better to go to xxxx and go back to Turn 1 later in the day.
Get to the circuit early - I'm usually at the track by 7am - to talk with people etc or if it's a circuit I haven't been to before maybe earlier so I can walk the circuit and scope out angles and where I might be able to work from and basically familiarise myself with the place.
It's no good turning up 5 minutes before the first race. In my mind, if you are doing that you are late and you may as well not be there at all.

Most importantly, ask questions - ASK, ASK, ASK....

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Ingsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
726 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 19, 2010 12:53 |  #36

Thanks for all the tips. I'm pretty much set now. Track map printed, notes made, paperwork sorted.

Just an early start and a 3 hour drive to go :)

Zenfolio (external link) || Project 365 - less than 1 month to go! (external link) || Always happy for C&C on my images!
Canon 400D || 18-55 IS || Sigma 30mm F1.4 || Nifty TwoFifty || Not enough time :(

andrewc
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 20, 2010 14:17 as a reply to  @ Ingsy's post |  #37

So, how did it go?

Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography • Facebook Entry • Canon EOS 7D / 50D / 40D / 24-105L / Sigma 100-300 f4 / 50mm f1.8 / Tamron 28-300 / 2x Canon 580EX2 flash / Interfit and Lastolite studio gear / Manfrotto supports / Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW650 and Computrekker

Ingsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
726 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 20, 2010 15:19 |  #38

Pretty good thanks. Could have done with some more length in places - couldn't do some of the shots I wanted to take.

Got there for about 9am, and left after the Britcar race. So have some of the Mazdas & Toyotas to go through. Will hopefully get them sorted and the write-up done over the next few days.

Got some funny looks from some people too . Not sure if it was my gear, or the ginger hair though...

:)

Ingsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
726 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 21, 2010 05:57 |  #39

Now I've had time to think about it more, a few thoughts:

It was nice to be able to shoot without having people, or fencing, in the way I have to say, and it is definitely somthing I could get used too... Being closer to the track you can get some better angles of stuff as well, which makes a difference.

I've realised that I need to improve also. I need to have more keepers. I'm still going to be getting rid of at least half my images, through being not sharp enough, or simply not getting the whole car in shot - something of a basic really!

I also need to get to learn how to get the image I want. A couple of times I had an idea for a shot, tried it, it didn't come out how I wanted it to, and then I gave up. Not really the right attitude. Whether it's not coming out how I want beacause of gear, or technique, or knowledge, I just don't know. I guess I have to remember that I've still done less than 10 motorsport shoots in total, and some people have been doing these for years.

I want to get to a point where the more bread & butter shots have a much high keeper rate, so I can get the basics in the bag early on, and then leave time to try out other stuff.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 21, 2010 11:48 |  #40

Ingsy wrote in post #10395928 (external link)
...Got there for about 9am, and left after the Britcar race..

haha...were you working executive hours?

I'd love to be able to get to a race meeting that late and leave that early.

If I arrive any later than 7.30am and leave any earlier than 90 mins after the last session/race something's wrong.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jun 21, 2010 12:52 |  #41

philwillmedia wrote in post #10400829 (external link)
If I arrive any later than 7.30am and leave any earlier than 90 mins after the last session/race something's wrong.

If I arrive after 07:30 i don't get a chance to have a "Fat Boys Breakfast" :-)

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Ingsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
726 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 21, 2010 14:20 |  #42

I do this for fun, and do have the length day you suggest, I'd have to have been up at 3am, and not home 'til midnight. Not something that sounds particularly fun. Maybe this isn't the right career path for me :)

In my defence, I was about the 3rd photog to sign on that morning, with some more arriving after me, and leaving before.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 21, 2010 18:15 |  #43

Ingsy wrote in post #10401767 (external link)
I do this for fun, and do have the length day you suggest, I'd have to have been up at 3am, and not home 'til midnight. Not something that sounds particularly fun. Maybe this isn't the right career path for me :)

Glad you had a taste of it and hope you learnt lots, but yep, that's exactly how it works a lot of the time.
Just as well it wasn't a two day meeting.
How do you reckon the photogs at LeMans were feeling after that.
Not only that they would have had deadlines to meet after the race has finished.

Here' a snippet from a post I've got on another forum

"...Also, there is a way, way, waaaaay more to it than just standing by the track/oval/court and taking photos. That’s actually the easy bit.
There are deadlines (sometimes very short, insanely short) to meet and as a rule I would suggest that for the same amount of time spent track/courtside there is at least 1/2 to 3/4 of that time and sometimes more, to be spent on editing, sending images etc when the day shooting has finished.
If you spend 8 hours taking pics, then you will usually spend another four to six hours, at least, once you have left the venue, on editing etc.
Often you may even have to file images on the fly – from the media centre/trackside/court​side/the boundary line.

A typical day at a motorsport event like the Clipsal 500/Bathurst etc goes something like this -
Arrive at the track around 6.30am but no later than 7am and leave at around 6pm – even later if I’m doing some night shots or the after race concerts then edit and send images, field the “How long before I see any photos” phone calls from pic editors, clients etc, prioritise who gets their pics first, decide which images to send and to whom, try and have something to eat at the same time and get to bed in the early hours of the morning often around 2am, sometimes later, then up at 5.30am to do it all again for the next 3 or four days – fortunately at Clipsal I get to sleep in my own bed.
At Bathurst in 2008, I actually had more sleep on the Sunday night after the race than the combined total from Wednesday to Saturday.
Adrenaline is a wonderful thing. Lots of coffee helps too.
Recently I shot the ANZ Championship Netball semi final at ETSA Park in Adelaide. Got home from the day job at 5 and was at the venue at 5.30 for a 6.30 start. Left the venue at around 8.30 edited and filed images and finally got to bed at around 2am – more time in front of the ‘puter than actually shooting..."

If you want to read the whole thing, click here http://catchfencephoto​s.net/viewtopic.php?f=​8&t=1869 (external link)

Memo to mods: apols for the link to another forum, but (I feel) it is releveant.
Remove the link if it breaks any rules

Regards, Phil

Ingsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
726 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 22, 2010 01:38 |  #44

Haven't had chance to read the link, but will do. What you've put in your post is quite an insight!

I guess the game changes completely when you've got people paying you for your images, and who want images of specific teams or drivers. I can completely see the necessity to get there early and find out the background info on anything and everything that can help you get 'that' photo. After the race is a good time for the behind the scenes type shot, which presumably are in demand as well as the in the race stuff.

One thing I am curious about though - how do you edit and sort that many shots in a fairly short space of time behind? Do you limit the editing you do down to just maybe a crop and a tweak of colour? I just can't see how you can get through the hundreds (if not thousands?) of shots you'd take in a day, if you spend more than a minute or two editing each one.

If you edit at the media centre as well during the day, then you're not out on track shooting - so I guess it's quite a balancing act to keep the most important customers happy.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 22, 2010 04:04 |  #45

Just to quickly answer -
I don't edit and process every shot - you're right, it would take forever.
Usually the first images to get out are those to the mags - one of them has a deadline of 7.30 am Monday morning.
Sometimes I might have a newspaper that requires pics and if it's a daily, there d/l is as soon as possible.
I only ever do any pp to images that are being sent out to clients or publications and do each one individually I don't batch process.
After I've selected the images I'm sending out, it's generally something like this - adjust brightness/contrast, adjust curves, clone dust, adjust colour saturation, unsharp mask, crop, and resize to requirements.
Some pics may only take 30 secs, but some may take as long as two minutes.
It would need to be a pretty special pic for me to spend any more time on it than that as I simply don't have the time.
Also I only shoot jpeg and that's an argument I'm not going to get into, suffice to say it works for me and it's each to his own on that one.

I work on a "keeper rate" of 85% as being acceptable but I expect it to be higher. Any less than that and I've had a bad day. I'll explain that.
It means that 85% of my images must be able to be used if they need to be. It doesn't mean that they will be, but that they CAN be.

I'll come back and answer the other questions in more detail later - just got a bit on my plate right now

Regards, Phil

sponsored links

5,555 views & 0 likes for this thread
Opportunity for press pass, but should I take it?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.