Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 21 Jun 2010 (Monday) 21:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Annoyed at Adorama charging "free shipping" fees upon return

awdark
72 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 21, 2010 21:36 |  #1

I bought a Crumpler case from Adorama for a S90 based on a post on this forum saying it fit perfectly. It didn't fit at all so I inquired about a refund, they told me to just fill out the form and ship it back.

The Adorama site states they will give a full refund minus the shipping cost if the item is returned within 14 days.

http://www.adorama.com​/CLTAMBRO.html (external link)

The case was $14 with free shipping.
I took it to the post office within a week and shipped it back for about $2.

Today I got a refund for $9.
This is the first time a company has ever charged me for free shipping. I emailed them and they sent me an invoice that states

Crumpler Thirsty AL M ... $14.00
Free Shipping Cost $5.00

So they refunded me $9.00

If they charged me $9 + 5 shipping then I would say fine, I know I won't get the $5 back but if I knew this would happen I would just keep it around as a spare case. By getting a refund I essentially got half of my money back $9-2=$7! I thought $14 refund - $2 (post office) then that's still OK.

I paid $14 for an item, and $0 for shipping so I shouldn't be charged $5 for "free shipping". The emailed invoice states this

You ordered the following items:

SKU Brand Product Qty Price Total
--------------- --------------- --- ----------- -----------
CLTAMBRO Crumpler Thirsty AL Medium Device Pouch, 1 $14.00 $14.00
--------------- ----------- -----------
Subtotal: $14.00
Tax: $0.00
Shipping Method: 7-10 Business Days
Insurance + Shipping: $0.00
Grand Total: $14.00

I complained back, but I really doubt they care.

I have never seen this type of thing before and well if you ever buy something with free shipping, they will only refund whatever they want. It just feels very shady and I will keep it in mind if I EVER consider shopping with them again.

Edit--
Sorry for not completely understanding the return policy on items with free shipping, and I admit my mistake there.
However I went to check on the price of shipping on that item and they list it at $2.30 so I still see the $5 fee as unjustified. (See page 2, #20 for screenshot)

Edit---
Got a refund from them

sponsored links
jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 21, 2010 21:41 |  #2

wow........another unhappy customer........be prepared to get bombarded by Adorama loyalist

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

www.digital-xpression.com (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 21, 2010 21:45 |  #3

First off, do you really think shipping is free from any vendor? Obviously it is not, so that cost has to be dealt with somehow. I really don't think Adorama tricked you on this one.

Second, why should Adorama, or any vendor, foot the bill for shipping on an item that you purchased but then essentially changed your mind about? I think they are fairly generous in not charging a restocking fee in this case.

Third, did you read the Adorama return policy? Here's an excerpt: Items that qualified for free shipping that are being returned will have our standard shipping charges deducted from refund or credit. The return shipping cost (the cost to send an item back to us) is not refundable.

edit: just read post #2. I am not any sort of Adorama loyalist. I've hardly purchased anything from them. I just find these threads to be more and more ridiculous. It seems that a growing number of consumers don't want any responsibility for what they are doing. I don't think that trend will help the rest of us get the best value.

wgsquallx2002
64 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 21, 2010 22:04 |  #4

Wow mpix345, you're so smart, you answered your own question with an obvious answer, which was totally unnecessary. Gee, second point you made sounds like you have some stake in Adorama. How Adorama runs their store is their business. Do you really have to mention that awdark was LUCKY he wasn't charged a restocking fee? You make Adorama look bad.

However your third and redeeming point, it was in their store policy, so it was someone's bad. Lesson learned. Let's move on.

I personally have shopped from Adorama several times and they have really good customer service. They're not jerks by any means. It's never harmful for a customer to ask if they're unsure about something. Sometimes, customer service even gives customers a break.

Canon Rebel XTi with BG-E3 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens | Canon Speedlite 580EX II |

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 21, 2010 22:11 |  #5

Here we go again.

When it comes to bags/cases, don't take anyone's word for it. Measure your camera and compare it to the manufacturer's dimensions.

Flickr (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 21, 2010 22:11 |  #6

wgsquallx2002 wrote in post #10404174 (external link)
Wow mpix345, you're so smart, you answered your own question with an obvious answer, which was totally unnecessary. Gee, second point you made sounds like you have some stake in Adorama. How Adorama runs their store is their business. Do you really have to mention that awdark was LUCKY he wasn't charged a restocking fee? You make Adorama look bad.

However your third and redeeming point, it was in their store policy, so it was someone's bad. Lesson learned. Let's move on.

I personally have shopped from Adorama several times and they have really good customer service. They're not jerks by any means. It's never harmful for a customer to ask if they're unsure about something. Sometimes, customer service even gives customers a break.

No, I'm not that smart, but this stuff is obvious. Very obvious. Thus my post.

I agree about asking any question to customer service. You may catch a break. Nothing wrong with that. But why the thread?

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 21, 2010 22:18 |  #7

There's really no point to start another flame war. I don't visit the marketplace section very often, but have seen this board plagued with Adorama complaints like this.

Things like this are solved easily, in this case, with the 3rd post. I think we should all just stop there.

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 21, 2010 22:23 |  #8

S30L28 wrote in post #10404252 (external link)
There's really no point to start another flame war. I don't visit the marketplace section very often, but have seen this board plagued with Adorama complaints like this.

I agree, which is why I posted. I really think that more and more folks just venting because of their misplaced frustration hurts us all over time. We have less reliable information in terms of vendor ratings and vendors who are getting constantly and often unjustly beaten up will likely become less customer service oriented over time.

deadpass
Goldmember
3,353 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 22, 2010 00:44 |  #9

While it sucks that you didn't read the return rules and feel you got shafted on the shipping charge, I have to ask is 14 bucks really worth any hassle of returning anything? I'd rather give it to someone on POTN than send it back to the retailer. Lesson learned man, read the fine print.

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​m (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 22, 2010 00:48 |  #10

deadpass wrote in post #10404832 (external link)
While it sucks that you didn't read the return rules and feel you got shafted on the shipping charge, I have to ask is 14 bucks really worth any hassle of returning anything? I'd rather give it to someone on POTN than send it back to the retailer. Lesson learned man, read the fine print.

That's another good point. Over the years I've accumulated quite a few bags that didn't work out for me and they're all sitting in the closet. I need to shoot them and get them out of here.

Flickr (external link)

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 22, 2010 01:04 |  #11

funny thing is until it happens to you then it becomes a different perspective....just saying...I'm just throwing it out there.

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

www.digital-xpression.com (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 22, 2010 01:13 |  #12

Like the thread title says, I would be annoyed, yet also understanding. Adorama paid about $5 to ship you the bag, but figured it was worth it to make a couple bucks profit. Then you returned the bag so they made zero profit plus had to pay for your shipping. So it really isn't fair to them. You'd want to do the same thing in reverse, I assure you.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

MNGUYEN
445 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 22, 2010 01:30 |  #13

jeppoy wrote in post #10404895 (external link)
funny thing is until it happens to you then it becomes a different perspective....just saying...I'm just throwing it out there.

+1, very true

5D/30D 35L 85L 135L 17-40L 24-105L 70-200L 4IS
Full Gear and Feedback

MNGUYEN
445 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 22, 2010 01:35 |  #14

Of course "free shipping" is not free but it's suppose to be free to the customer and a part of the business expense. "Free shipping" is used for marketing; and the OP has to pay for the company's market?

The OP was expecting to get $12 net back ($14-$2 shipping). $12 is $12, it's like using bing to purchase a $150 item to saving $12. Would you not use bing because it's only a $12 savings?

I don't understand how it would cost the customer less to ship something compared to a company that ships products out everyday. If the OP shipping cost was $5 and the retail shipping cost was $5 would that be fair to everyone. The retailer lost $5 and the customer lost $5. I'm sure if the OP knew that he would net back $7 he would of kept it and not return the item.

5D/30D 35L 85L 135L 17-40L 24-105L 70-200L 4IS
Full Gear and Feedback

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 22, 2010 01:38 |  #15

MNGUYEN wrote in post #10404980 (external link)
Of course "free shipping" is not free but it's suppose to be free to the customer and a part of the business expense.

Are you still a customer after you have returned the item?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links

7,444 views & 0 likes for this thread
Annoyed at Adorama charging "free shipping" fees upon return
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.