Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 21 Jun 2010 (Monday) 21:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Annoyed at Adorama charging "free shipping" fees upon return

MNGUYEN
445 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 22, 2010 01:39 |  #16

tkbslc wrote in post #10404992 (external link)
Are you still a customer after you have returned the item?

Nope, but a return policy is for returning a product. It's not like shopping a the swap met where all sales are final.

5D/30D 35L 85L 135L 17-40L 24-105L 70-200L 4IS
Full Gear and Feedback

sponsored links
MNGUYEN
445 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 22, 2010 01:47 |  #17

I think the point of the OP was to share a bit of his/her experience to the community where he/she has picked up some knowledge from.

5D/30D 35L 85L 135L 17-40L 24-105L 70-200L 4IS
Full Gear and Feedback

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 22, 2010 01:50 |  #18

jeppoy wrote in post #10404895 (external link)
funny thing is until it happens to you then it becomes a different perspective....just saying...I'm just throwing it out there.

It's happened to me with several retailers including Adorama. I chalked it up to the way things go when you order online and took the loss for shipping both ways. I didn't constatly single out a retailer to bash on an online message board.

Flickr (external link)

tobotech
82 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 22, 2010 02:40 |  #19

thank you for sharing your experience

XT, T1i / 11-16, 17-55IS, 50 1.8, 55-250IS, Bigma OS / 580EX ii / Gitzo M3551 Monopod, 234 Tilt head / Lowepro AW Primus+Compuprimus / Hakuba 6240 tripod, Benro Travel Angel, PhotoClam PC-36N

awdark
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 22, 2010 02:47 |  #20

Yeah I understand, I misread part of the return policy.
How about this do you think they overcharged me for this "free shipping"? They stated "standard shipping charges deducted"

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i995.photobucke​t.com …af74/awdark1/sh​ipping.jpg (external link)

Free
$2.30
$8.60... well they certainly didn't use the $8.60 shipping so they sent it to me using the $2.30 shipping method.

Based on their return policy, they should at most deduct $2.30 from the $14.

I selected them for the price and reputation of being a good seller. I know B&H had it for a little more and buy.com had it for the same price except they charged tax.

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 22, 2010 04:12 |  #21

K6AZ wrote in post #10405033 (external link)
It's happened to me with several retailers including Adorama. I chalked it up to the way things go when you order online and took the loss for shipping both ways. I didn't constatly single out a retailer to bash on an online message board.

just maybe...maybe different people have different ways of venting....who know i might be right. :rolleyes:

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

www.digital-xpression.com (external link)

EmmaRose
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 22, 2010 05:16 |  #22

Email Helen about it and she will explain it to you or resolve the issue

Gear. Flickr. (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 22, 2010 06:12 |  #23

EmmaRose wrote in post #10405434 (external link)
Email Helen about it and she will explain it to you or resolve the issue

Delighted to explain....

MNGUYEN wrote in post #10404980 (external link)
....I don't understand how it would cost the customer less to ship something compared to a company that ships products out everyday....

I guess because the customer isn't paying the on-costs of buildings, salaries, tax, insurance etc of all the employees who contribute to getting each item onto the truck, which is our shipping cost.

MNGUYEN wrote in post #10405019 (external link)
I think the point of the OP was to share a bit of his/her experience to the community where he/she has picked up some knowledge from.

The OP stated that "it just feels very shady".
There is no attempt to hide this element of our policy; I am a passionate supporter of forums (POTN in particular) because of the unrivalled service and peer support that they offer to the consumer in terms of information-sharing, but sometimes............:(

The 'standard shipping 3-5 business days' that is displayed in the shipping calculator on the website is not the cost to Adorama of shipping a unit to a customer.

The 'Shipping Cost' is made up of the elements that contribute towards the cost of getting each item out of the door: including, but not exclusively, packaging materials, staff picking and packing time, IT support and much more.
These on-costs are recouped in the profit element of the purchase price when an item is sold - but we've made a loss on the bag because it will now end up being sold as o/b, used or will go back to the manufacturer for a partial credit.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 22, 2010 06:52 |  #24

jeppoy wrote in post #10404895 (external link)
funny thing is until it happens to you then it becomes a different perspective....just saying...I'm just throwing it out there.

My perspective when something like this has happened to me (and it has) is to think "I should be more responsible for my actions", not "I'm going to start a thread to vent and complain about a vendor".

volfan1978
720 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 22, 2010 07:33 |  #25

Amazon does this with their free "super saver shipping." I learned this the hard way myself. Since that time, if I'm not happy with the item I usually just sell it elsewhere to not have to take the hit on the shipping charge for the return.

I don't blame retailers for taking this stance. Some do, some don't. What it boils down to is where you want to give your money in the long run.

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 22, 2010 09:46 |  #26

volfan1978 wrote in post #10405766 (external link)
Amazon does this with their free "super saver shipping." I learned this the hard way myself. Since that time, if I'm not happy with the item I usually just sell it elsewhere to not have to take the hit on the shipping charge for the return.

I don't blame retailers for taking this stance. Some do, some don't. What it boils down to is where you want to give your money in the long run.

so did they deduct standard shipping when you returned or more like in this case?

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

garycoleman
450 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 22, 2010 10:10 |  #27

It's normal. Amazon does the same thing if you return the item unless it is defective.

Canon 5D MKIII | Canon 60D | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 580EX II

volfan1978
720 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 22, 2010 10:52 |  #28

alpha_1976 wrote in post #10406303 (external link)
so did they deduct standard shipping when you returned or more like in this case?

They deducted whatever the super saver shipping cost was at the time. It depends for each product, but for mine it was $6 or $7.

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 22, 2010 11:00 |  #29

volfan1978 wrote in post #10406652 (external link)
They deducted whatever the super saver shipping cost was at the time. It depends for each product, but for mine it was $6 or $7.

I guess my question rather was whether they deducted standard shipping or a bit more like in case of OP here?

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

tommibear202
186 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 22, 2010 12:45 as a reply to  @ alpha_1976's post |  #30

Helen,

Like the OP, I would also had assumed that Adorama would only subtract $2.30 because of the wording "standard shipping rate"... from the shipping calculator.

Maybe some wording needs to be modified to lessen confusion?

sponsored links

7,454 views & 0 likes for this thread
Annoyed at Adorama charging "free shipping" fees upon return
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.