Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 01:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

USB HDD storage with no computer

bass87
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 15, 2010 01:07 |  #1

Hi guys,

I'm look for a USB hard drive enclosure that supports USB OTG to backup my CF cards while on trips and shoots without the need of a computer. I was looking at the Thecus N1050 however I already have a spare SATA drive, no IDE drives. The Welland ME-600 would be perfect however it is discontinued and I can't find anyone with stock.

I'm looking for the cheap and simple solution, not the $300 photo banks with LCD screens etc.

Thanks.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,908 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 15, 2010 01:32 |  #2

Digital Foci offers a product which allows CF to be plugged in directly, and files transferred to internal HD. It uses a simple LCD for status displays only and confirmation of transfer, no fancy color LCD for viewing photos. http://www.digitalfoci​.com/photo_safe.html (external link) but it is not available as a driveless enclosure.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 15, 2010 04:35 |  #3

No experience of it, but the Nexto ND2700 should be available as an empty enclosure and claims to have working USB OTG - which should allow direct connection of the camera.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

bass87
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 15, 2010 05:30 |  #4

Both seem like pretty expensive options compared to the N1050 (around $30aud) and the ME-600 ($85 AUD). Didn't realise this would be so hard to come by since the technology is realtively old.

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 22, 2010 20:31 |  #5

Digimate is the one I used to have. the latest version has swappable rechageable batteries.
the risk is with no lcd to see an image.. you're holding your breath until you get home and download them.
Do not buy anything lower than the digimate iii they don't support cf cards < 2 gigs.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,319 views & 0 likes for this thread
USB HDD storage with no computer
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.