Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 14 May 2010 (Friday) 15:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Compact DSLR-like Camera

bongEstrella
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 14, 2010 15:06 |  #1

Hi Canoners,

I'm sure you've all heard about Panasonic's and Olympus' micro four thirds camera. I was fortunate enough to try the Olympus E-PL1 for a few days and the image quality blew me away, for such a small camera of course. My question is, what are your thoughts on Canon making it's own line of compact cameras with interchangeable lenses that deliver dslr-like image quality? I know they already have the G11 and s90 but let's face it, those are very good on good light but the image quality suffers rather quickly when it gets dimmer (no offense meant to users who love their G11s and S90s). So if Canon makes this type of camera, which is compatible to their current lineup of lenses, do you think there is a market for it?

Thanks!

My Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 60d, 15-85
Feedback

sponsored links
ken_vs_ryu
539 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 14, 2010 15:10 |  #2

IMAGE: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/ZCOMPT2I-FRONT-S.JPG

canon needs to compete with this sony. aps-c sensor, no mirror, and interchangeable lenses.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX​5/NEX5A.HTM (external link)

http://google-black.blogspot.com (external link)

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 14, 2010 15:19 |  #3

bongEstrella wrote in post #10181647 (external link)
So if Canon makes this type of camera, which is compatible to their current lineup of lenses, do you think there is a market for it?

No one wants a camera the size of a wallet to have to use lenses that are twice the size. Do you want a 17-55 on a G11?

EOS lenses are designed for phase-detect AF and a mirror. A mirrorless design inherently requires a new line of lenses to make use of its advantages. This is probably why Canon and Nikon have yet to enter the mirrorless interchangeable lens market - they are still developing the lenses, as well as the bodies, all on top of their SLR and P&S lines.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 14, 2010 16:55 |  #4

toxic wrote in post #10181739 (external link)
No one wants a camera the size of a wallet to have to use lenses that are twice the size. Do you want a 17-55 on a G11?

I would like a small compact camera with an APS-C size sensor that would accept Canon lens. If it came with one of those "pancake" style lens that would be great for parties. I'll put a word in with the Canon engineers, hopefully they will get the research ball rolling.

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 14, 2010 17:08 |  #5

watt100 wrote in post #10182222 (external link)
I would like a small compact camera with an APS-C size sensor that would accept Canon lens. If it came with one of those "pancake" style lens that would be great for parties. I'll put a word in with the Canon engineers, hopefully they will get the research ball rolling.

Of course it would accept a Canon lens...it just won't be an EOS mount lens. It is simply not possible to make a pancake EOS lens for a mirrorless design.

The flange-to-focal plane (aka register) distance for mirrorless designs are around 20mm (18mm for E-mount, ~20 for m4/3). The register distance for EOS mount is 44mm. This necessitates an adapter of 20mm+ (nearly an inch) to use an EOS lens on a mirrorless design, so a pancake isn't possible since the adapter would be the size of a pancake lens.

Canon could make a camera with a larger register distance, but that means making a thicker camera and possibly having to use retrofocus design for wide-angle lenses, which defeats two of the biggest advantages of a mirrorless design.

bongEstrella
THREAD ­ STARTER
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 14, 2010 17:24 |  #6

damn toxic, how do you know these things lols..

anyways, i guess it was just wishful thinking on my part. id be the first one to spring on it if ever canon decides to make one. i was actually thinking of mounting a prime lens on it if ever, so it should be reasonably compact. i did not, however, consider the physical design on how Canon is going to implement it. but still, it should be interesting.

Feedback

Anh ­ Richie
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 24, 2010 00:41 as a reply to  @ bongEstrella's post |  #7

it'll be great if canon does get into this market i would surely grab one as soon it is available. I'm guessing if canon is developing some right now, they'll announce it maybe early next year and be available early spring or summer of next year. but the sooner the better i really hope they do make some to compete with the new sony NEX series. (fingers cross)

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 24, 2010 05:51 |  #8

that's if they want to compete with the new sony NEX series. I, for one, wouldnt be on the market for a camera as the such, a slim point and shoot to me should be just that, slim

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

CanonGarcon
419 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 24, 2010 08:03 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

watt100 wrote in post #10182222 (external link)

I also would like a Rolls Royce, a mansion on Miami Beach, and a supermodel as a wife. Doesn't mean I will get them.:rolleyes:

Want a compact camera, get a point and shoot.

Real men don't use mirrorless cameras.

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 24, 2010 09:57 as a reply to  @ CanonGarcon's post |  #10

I think this is the wave of the future, and Canon will jump in when the time is right. DSLRs aren't designed as efficiently as they can be, mostly because of all the junk inside them. Minimize all that stuff, and you can design something much lighter and ergonomic. In fact, the grip on that Sony compact looks much more comfortable than the one on the T1i, probably because adding a wider grip on the Canon would increase the weight by half a pound. We're not at the point where these compacts can replace a DSLR, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some big changes to DSLR bodies in the future.

Genome
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 24, 2010 10:02 |  #11

before these things really take off there are certain brick wall issues they need to fix first. For a start when in burst mode and the screens dont keep showing the action. Instead they are either showing a preview or are black making it stupidly anoying to track anything. Secondly is the continuous focus speed. Pretty slow on these camera at the mo. The slow down in low light also is a huge issue.

When they fix these issues (and im sure they will eventually) then they might start to creep into the DSLR's territory. As they stand they are a bridge between P&S and DSLR.... which is fine.

Flickr (external link)
In the bag:
Canon 500D Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Canon 70-200L f4 Jessops 2x converter Jessops 360 Flash

drocpsu
472 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 24, 2010 10:25 |  #12

toxic wrote in post #10181739 (external link)

These cameras seem interesting to me, but this is the biggest thing that I can't get over. With such a small camera body, who would want to put big lenses like this on it? this only isn't even that big compared to many others! Many of the often used Canon lenses would be WAY larger than the camera itself. I'd think that would just be awkward and uncomfortable. A larger body helps balance out the lens and body size/weight distribution when you're holding it and provides a good, solid, large grip.

These little mirrorless cameras only seem useful to me if you're using pancake lenses, which seems pretty limiting to me and causes you to lose most of the benefits of having a wide range of interchangeable lenses of different focal lengths & qualities. I haven't tried out any of the cameras yet, but do they have the typical shutter lag found on most point and shoots? If so, this would also be a huge detractor.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/drocpsu (external link)
Canon T1i | 18-55 IS | 55-250 IS | 50mm f/1.8 II | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
| Slik & Giottos tripod

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 24, 2010 10:30 |  #13

Wow, imagine a camera, about the size of a deck of playing cards, with a 70-200 mk2 or even a 1200mm lens?

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

CanonGarcon
419 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 24, 2010 11:26 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

ingraman wrote in post #10418738 (external link)
I think this is the wave of the future, and Canon will jump in when the time is right. DSLRs aren't designed as efficiently as they can be, mostly because of all the junk inside them. Minimize all that stuff, and you can design something much lighter and ergonomic. In fact, the grip on that Sony compact looks much more comfortable than the one on the T1i, probably because adding a wider grip on the Canon would increase the weight by half a pound. We're not at the point where these compacts can replace a DSLR, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some big changes to DSLR bodies in the future.

We will see how comfortable that grip on the Sony feels when attached to a 24-70mm 2.8 lens or a 70-200mm 2.8 lens.

bongEstrella
THREAD ­ STARTER
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 24, 2010 11:33 |  #15

CanonGarcon wrote in post #10419227 (external link)
We will see how comfortable that grip on the Sony feels when attached to a 24-70mm 2.8 lens or a 70-200mm 2.8 lens.

or a pancake lens..

i think what most folks here forget is that you dont have to use a large lens with a small camera, it's just another option.

Feedback

sponsored links

4,924 views & 0 likes for this thread
Compact DSLR-like Camera
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.