Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 24 Jun 2010 (Thursday) 09:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

is this a good deal for a begginer?

dawnreedcarter38
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 24, 2010 09:53 |  #1

I am new at this and a begginner in taking pics. I will be buying a canon 50D next month and the camera and the lense cost $1299.00 at best buy. i was browsing to see if there was a cheeper place and i found "get digital". this camera and 6 Tamron lenses with tons of other stuff is $1371.99. should i get it? this is the link. http://www.getitdigita​l.com/package.php?id=6​04 (external link). thanks for any good feedback.

sponsored links
Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 24, 2010 09:57 |  #2

I suggest going to http://www.bhphoto.com (external link)

Dave Hoffmann

mikerosal
162 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 24, 2010 10:06 |  #3

No, don't buy from there. They doesn't even have any info on the camera.
Either buy from refutable sites like B&H, Adorama, Amazon etc.

Are pictures you all wanted to do? If you are also interested in video, you can also check if you might like t2i or a t1i, they are much more oriented for consumers and beginners, otherwise 50d will be a better camera, for beginner or veterans alike.

Canon 40D | 17-85 | 55-250mm | 50mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 70-200mm f/4 L

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 24, 2010 10:11 |  #4

mikerosal wrote in post #10418794 (external link)

Erm...I think that should be REPUTABLE, although there are some people on here who would probably refute what I say.

Ahhh...the English language.
One letter can make such a difference

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 24, 2010 10:14 as a reply to  @ philwillmedia's post |  #5

Get a 50D and a Canon 18-55mm IS and 55-250mm IS. Enough to keep you occupied until you're more experienced. Most of the lenses in your link are junk, or aren't real lenses at all.

mikerosal
162 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 24, 2010 10:17 |  #6

philwillmedia wrote in post #10418824 (external link)
Erm...I think that should be REPUTABLE, although there are some people on here who would probably refute what I say.

Ahhh...the English language.
One letter can make such a difference

lol my mistake, its still early in the morning! For entertainment purposes I won't update it :p

Canon 40D | 17-85 | 55-250mm | 50mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 70-200mm f/4 L

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 24, 2010 10:24 |  #7

mikerosal wrote in post #10418845 (external link)
lol my mistake, its still early in the morning! For entertainment purposes I won't update it :p

haha...figured as much, but couldn't resist.
And no, don't update it. It could be entertaining but I don't think you'll have to worry about the "lightrules syndrome"

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

dawnreedcarter38
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 24, 2010 10:44 as a reply to  @ philwillmedia's post |  #8

thank you all so much for the quick reply!!~~

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 24, 2010 10:46 |  #9

dawnreedcarter38 wrote in post #10418722 (external link)
I am new at this and a begginner in taking pics. I will be buying a canon 50D next month and the camera and the lense cost $1299.00 at best buy. i was browsing to see if there was a cheeper place and i found "get digital". this camera and 6 Tamron lenses with tons of other stuff is $1371.99. should i get it? this is the link. http://www.getitdigita​l.com/package.php?id=6​04 (external link). thanks for any good feedback.

For $1,385.87 you can get the 50D plus accessories and two reasonably good Canon lenses from an extremely rePutable ;) vendor.

Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera /Lens Kit Black , with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens, 8GB CF Memory Card, Spare BP-511 Lithium-Ion Battery, Slinger Camera Bag , Digital Remote Release $1185.92

http://www.adorama.com​/ICA50DKA.html (external link)

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer - Refurbished $199.95

http://www.adorama.com​/CA55250AFSR.html (external link)

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

dawnreedcarter38
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 24, 2010 10:51 |  #10

mikerosal wrote in post #10418794 (external link)
No, don't buy from there. They doesn't even have any info on the camera.

Are pictures you all wanted to do? If you are also interested in video, you can also check if you might like t2i or a t1i, they are much more oriented for consumers and beginners, otherwise 50d will be a better camera, for beginner or veterans alike.

No i just want to take pictures for now. thanks

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 24, 2010 11:38 |  #11

The get digital deal is junk mostly.

Go for a deal from either B&H Photo or Adorama. They are by far the best photography outlets.

I would go with the kit lenses (18-55 IS and 55-250mm IS) as they are good lenses which are also pretty cheap.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

henryp
420 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 25, 2010 11:13 |  #12

Gatorboy wrote in post #10418740 (external link)
I suggest going to http://www.bhphoto.com (external link)

Thank you.

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

layzieyez
40 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 25, 2010 11:58 |  #13

I'd buy from b&h over adorama. Spent over $300 at adorama for an expensive manfrotto tripod and head and one of the adjusting screw knobs was cracked (shipping materials didn't indicate box was abused in shipping so it was sent broken from adorama). Tried for weeks to get their customer support to replace this inexpensive part and they ultimately just told me to go to the manufacturer. Customer service means everything for a photographer that tries to give the best customer service experience to his own customers. Skip adorama.

http://consubcon.com (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,587 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 27, 2010 06:10 |  #14

layzieyez wrote in post #10425495 (external link)
...Spent over $300 at adorama for an expensive manfrotto tripod and head and one of the adjusting screw knobs was cracked (shipping materials didn't indicate box was abused in shipping so it was sent broken from adorama). Tried for weeks to get their customer support to replace this inexpensive part and they ultimately just told me to go to the manufacturer....

I was concerned to read your posting, and would firstly like to apologize that from your description, our service to you fell far short of our standards.
I would be grateful if you could email me directly
span style="color:#006699;"[EMAIL="helen.oster@ad​oramacamera.com"]helen​.oster@adoramacamera.c​om (external link) with additional details, including your order number, and I will give this my immediate attention.

squirrelking101
71 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 27, 2010 08:10 |  #15

Those Tamron lenses that they have attached in the whole thing are pretty junky. I've got the 28-80mm, lets just say I got it for $40, and it isnt even worth that much. It is just a bad lens, really bad IQ at 55 compared to both 18-55 and 55-250 of Canon. The extra filter I bought for it just in case will never go on it because, this lens is just that bad. I assume by examining the build quality, the 75-300 is the same. The 500 isn't even a canon mount.

Just as mikerosal said earlier, go for a T1i or T2i. Not only are they built for consumers and beginners, but they are great small cameras that a lot of people want even if you don't stay in photography long. The 50D is a beast of a camera, not sure if it would be great for starting out as it is a lot of mula.

Plus with the T1i or T2i you can dabble in video, still with great IQ of your pictures and video.

Canon XTi | EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8II | Canon EF-S 55-250mm

sponsored links

1,426 views & 0 likes for this thread
is this a good deal for a begginer?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.