Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Jun 2010 (Thursday) 11:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 100-400 new vs used

gordholio
294 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 24, 2010 11:18 |  #1

Hi everyone:

This is my first-ever post, so thanks in advance to anyone who wants to respond.

After much deliberation, I'm pretty much sold on the Canon 100-400 for birding/wildlife/long distance shots. I've tried the 300 and 400 primes, and I simply prefer to have zooming capabilities. I also prefer the weight and performance of the 100-400 to any of the long-range Sigma zooms. So no advice needed there.

However, I am looking for some advice on what to do in my own particular situation. I've heard about soft vs sharp copies of the 100-400, so I bought a brand new copy from a local store on the basis that I could take it back within a week for a full refund if it turned out to be soft. Luckily, I was then able to find a used copy (built way back in 1999) at another store that I was able to buy on the same "return within a week" basis. I've now tried them both for several hours, focusing on objects in my back yard at 400mm. And without a doubt, the 1999 version is sharper at 400mm, most notably in the center of the frame, than the brand new copy. I have a dozen side-by-side examples to prove it, and it's the same every time. (I use a T2i, BTW, so I don't have any micro-adjustment capability.)

So...seeing that I don't want to compare lenses forever and seeing that not every store will allow full refunds (and seeing that there isnt an endless suply of 100-400s in my area), I'd like to make a decision. My question then: Would you buy a 1999 100-400 for $1200 that seems to work like a charm in all aspects and looks, as best as I can determine, clean, or would you pay nearly $1700 for a brand new version that isn't as clean at 400mm but could be returned to Canon during warranty (I'd do this immediately) for calibration/repair?

I know this is my own decision, but I thought I'd try to solicit a few thoughts first. I'm still fairly new to high-end camera stuff. Thanks again to anyone who wants to repsond.

sponsored links
crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 24, 2010 11:42 |  #2

For a difference of $500 I'd be tempted to go for the used lens. The 100-400 has remained unchanged over the years so you're ok there. The only thing you might want to consider is possible resale down the road.

TheDA
85 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 24, 2010 11:46 as a reply to  @ crn3371's post |  #3

Based on the information provided I'd go with the used lens. I have had this lens since 2004 and it is a fantastic wildlife/bird lens. Mine is very sharp but I have heard that there are many soft ones out there. If you have your hands on a sharp one...keep it! Good luck.

7D and as much L glass as I can get.

woehlerking
456 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 24, 2010 11:55 as a reply to  @ TheDA's post |  #4

I would consider new only because they are less than $1500 now and for a difference of less than $300 you get brand new with warranty. Also this lens has a reputation of collecting dust (the dust pump) so I would be weary of a lens that old.
However saying that I have bought many lenses used and have no complaints.

gear
https://photography-on-the.net …p=10063848&post​count=2316

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 24, 2010 11:55 |  #5

I had three and was never impressed with any of them so if you have found one that seems like a good copy I'd go used. I'd want to ensure it's in super-clean condition at that price and that the bearings in the push-pull mechanism are still ok. I know this can be a very nice lens.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

seattlite
32 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 24, 2010 12:46 as a reply to  @ condyk's post |  #6

Check out these comments about UW+ date coded lenses: http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/91027​7/0#8593005 (external link)

My UY copy just came a week ago and I found it to be pretty sharp at 400mm.

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 24, 2010 13:14 |  #7

Mine were very sharp and they were dated US/UT. I don't think there is any magic in UW+

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 24, 2010 13:16 as a reply to  @ seattlite's post |  #8

I had a 2003 copy for around $900. No problems. I've never hesitated to buy used, you save a bunch of money, and you lose less when you sell.

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 24, 2010 14:13 |  #9

Amazon has new for $1440 or so, great deal!

Gear & Feedback

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,172 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 24, 2010 14:20 |  #10

I own and have owned a number of used lenses. My 100-400mm was used..

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

gordholio
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 24, 2010 16:17 |  #11

Thanks to everyone who's replied thus far. The Amazon $1410 deal is great - except I live in Canada and even if I bring it back over the border myself, I get dinged an extra $150 or so at customs. Plus, I don't know if the copy they send me is sharp - and judging from my not-so-good experience with this other brand new copy, I'm pretty worried about quality control. BTW, new up here in BC, the 100-400 goes for in excess of $1700, plus 12% tax. Grr...

SkyW
97 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 24, 2010 16:23 |  #12

Any idea if a new 100-400 II will be released any time soon?
It seems to have lived for quite a while .. perhaps an updated version such as in the case of the new 70-200f2.8 IS II shall arrive soon?
Im also in the market for this lens and would hate to buy one only for a upgrade to be released soon after

| (external link) flickr  (external link)| Canon EOS 450D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4.5-5.6 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II |
 (external link)

gordholio
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 24, 2010 16:26 |  #13

Except that the upgraded version, presumably with new IS, etc, would likely cost a ton more.

crcal
808 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 24, 2010 16:41 as a reply to  @ gordholio's post |  #14

I own or have owned three 100-400's. I would determine which one I wanted based on image quality and not on age. Since the one with better IQ is also the cheaper one, for me it's a no brainer.

Calvin
Converted to Sony A7 and love it | Gear & Feedback

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 24, 2010 17:25 |  #15

alpha_1976 wrote in post #10419887 (external link)
Mine were very sharp and they were dated US/UT. I don't think there is any magic in UW+

Oh but I think there is over the years I have owned many of the 100-400's can't remember how many. started years ago when I had a running battle between the 1-400 and the Bigma bought one sold the other many times over. Most of the 1-400 were great then it was the battle between the 1-400 and 400 5.6 and over the years what I have noticed the newer 1-400 seem more consistent in sharpness. I also heard Canon now checks every 1-400 before they send them out. I have never had a bad 1-400 with a date code of UW or newer. I am not saying the older lenses are not good but for the money I will take a newer one any day over a older date code.

sponsored links

4,309 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 100-400 new vs used
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.