Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 22 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 09:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Urgent Mac help needed - after LR3 install

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 22, 2010 09:37 |  #1

imac
2.4GHz
300 Hdd
3 Ram

Lr3 was a disaster - I found it kept crashing my mac in 64 bit but limps alomng in 32 bit.

I mentioned on Lightroom forum that I had got 'kernel panic' after it crashed and (eventually) was advised to re-install Osx 10.5.8.

I did Time Machine backup & inserted disc.

Seemed to be ok in initially, but hung on ''importing documents' : it was ' approx time 19 hours and 56 min' overnight.

I pulled the plug & started again, imputting new admin name & passwork (which I wrote down); but now, it keeps saying my password is wrong - I can't even re-install as it wants the password.

I have only one use on (me) with standard priviledges - am at my wits end!

Gear List

sponsored links
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 22, 2010 12:09 |  #2

I would reboot in safe mode and repair your boot disc permissions. If that doesn't help I'd boot from your install DVD and repair the disc. Also, kernel panics are usually tied to a hardware issue.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

mattyb240
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 22, 2010 12:25 |  #3

Yeah do a hardware check from the install disk and repair permissions. If this fails, run tech tool deluxe.

Deviant Art (external link)

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 23, 2010 03:30 |  #4

mattyb240 wrote in post #10407190 (external link)
Yeah do a hardware check from the install disk and repair permissions. If this fails, run tech tool deluxe.

Thanks for that.

I have tried re-installing again - this time erasing the disc first - and am cautiously optimistic that all is ok.

Before, when I just re-installed, the re-install took about 2.5 hours; when I did erase & install, it took 35 mins!

Shall try the above if I am still having problems.

Admin priviledges seem ok; updating mac software currently.

Have managed to access and copy back some items from Tima Machine - which I couldn't do previously.

Am a bit concerned that I may have problems re-installing some software such as CS3 as I didnn't deregister it befiore erasing the disc.

Update: still getting ACL problems mainly on:

ACL found but not expected on system/library/UserTem​plate/Englist.lproj/ (lots of things,music etc)

also:

Just reinstalled my HP printer and am getting:

Groups differ////.... should be 80 are 20 which is a new one!

Update again: CS3 extended installed ok to my surprise.
Will have problems with Lightroom as lent the disc to my sister who lives in the US - so will have to wait until she sends it to me as LR2 /LR3 are upgrades .

Gear List

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 24, 2010 15:01 |  #5

Did you do the hardware checks (Disk Utilities > Verify Disk). It really sounds like you have a hardware problem. It's pretty clear you have corruption. I would check HD then move to RAM (use one model at a time to see if things improve).

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 24, 2010 16:10 |  #6

MaxxuM wrote in post #10420433 (external link)
Did you do the hardware checks (Disk Utilities > Verify Disk). It really sounds like you have a hardware problem. It's pretty clear you have corruption. I would check HD then move to RAM (use one model at a time to see if things improve).

Yes did all that. Surprised its still there after a total clean reinstall of the system.

The HD disk verfies ok - never thought of checking the RAM - shall do that next.

Gear List

mattyb240
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 24, 2010 17:20 |  #7

Yeah download techtool deluxe, it will test each component for you! And obviously make sure your all backed up!

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 25, 2010 01:11 |  #8

mattyb240 wrote in post #10421148 (external link)
Yeah download techtool deluxe, it will test each component for you! And obviously make sure your all backed up!

Its on the way - thought I could download it but looks like a disc is being sent.

Gear List

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 25, 2010 01:36 |  #9

MaxxuM wrote in post #10420433 (external link)

I ran the Disk Utility from startup disk : HD checks out fine both in verify & repair.

Re Permissions: lots of problems - and now that I have re-installed itunes - permissions problems there both in verify & repair.

I may be being very dense, but I can't find where to check the RAM :) (the only options I have for checking are the HDD and any external drives I have)

Gear List

mattyb240
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 25, 2010 02:00 |  #10

The main way to check the RAM is through the tech tool deluxe: https://support.apple.​com/techtooldeluxe/mai​n?id=dl (external link)

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 25, 2010 03:14 |  #11

mattyb240 wrote in post #10423503 (external link)
The main way to check the RAM is through the tech tool deluxe: https://support.apple.​com/techtooldeluxe/mai​n?id=dl (external link)

I was just about to answer that I can't download this version because I am out of my 3 year aftercare package but just decided to double - check - and I'm just in time : August 2010!

Many thanks for reminding me of this .

Gear List

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 25, 2010 06:58 |  #12

mattyb240 wrote in post #10421148 (external link)

All the system checks out clean, but still getting permissions problems. sigh!

Seeing as I am till just about in the 3 year care package do you think a trip to an Apple store is in order ?

Gear List

TTk
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 25, 2010 07:02 |  #13

hania wrote in post #10424069 (external link)
All the system checks out clean, but still getting permissions problems. sigh!

Seeing as I am till just about in the 3 year care package do you think a trip to an Apple store is in order ?

Yes might be your best bet..:D

Terry.:cool:
http://www.terrykirton.co/ (external link)
http://www.ttkphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
http://www.langtoftpho​tography.com/ (external link)

(external link)

mattyb240
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 25, 2010 09:24 |  #14

Definitely take it to the store! Best to get any failings out the way before apple care runs out!

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 26, 2010 02:02 |  #15

mattyb240 wrote in post #10424626 (external link)
Definitely take it to the store! Best to get any failings out the way before apple care runs out!

I spoke to apple support over the phone - there is a file he pointed me to which lists all permission messages which can safely be ignored - those in red need to be urgently acted on.

All my messages fell into the 'ignorable' category - why do they bother to list them during repair/verify disc!

It does say ' permissions repaired' but then I had this long list - which left me unsure if they had actually been repaired or not....... .

The ACL messages are caused by files being moved from the library apparently.

Sigh ....so all this was almost for nothing..........but on the bright side, I have a clean install of the system.

Gear List

sponsored links

2,629 views & 0 likes for this thread
Urgent Mac help needed - after LR3 install
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.