Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 13:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

free workshop with Zack Arias streamed this weekend

ninetwentynine
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 16, 2010 20:05 |  #91

cometzx03x wrote in post #10375444 (external link)
can someone explain this pic on his site?
http://www.zarias.com …ads/2010/06/syn​cspeed.jpg (external link)

shows sync speed yes, but why is there still left over shutter @ 200th and even 160th?

the 5DMKII doesn't sync as fast with 3rd party strobes (therefore you get banding for anything faster than 1/125), therefore zack shot at 1/125 all weekend with his Alien Bees.

sponsored links
bdpaco
696 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 16, 2010 20:05 |  #92

because of the strobes, they have a slow fall off after they fired...

My Blog
http://rickbandaphotog​raphy.blogspot.com/ (external link)
My Website
www.rickbandaphoto.com (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 16, 2010 20:08 as a reply to  @ post 10375517 |  #93

Correct Frank. The mechanics and physics of the focal plane shutter combined with the strobes used and any delay in triggering will reveal problems with sync speed.

1/125s is a safe and pretty standard speed. Unless you need to reduce ambient light there's no reason to try to increase shutter speed to 1/200s or faster. Using higher shutter speeds is only practical for stopping motion and reducing ambient light. If you're shooting static subjects and objects play it safe and use 1/125s.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 16, 2010 23:53 |  #94

Actually, if I recall Zack's exact answer, it was due to the fact that the AlienBees have (in his opinion) a slow flash duration. The flash was going off when the shutter was fully open, but it wasn't finished before the second curtain started to move. This is why Zack said that there was still the edge darkening in the 1/160th photo. A faster duration light source like a speedlite would not have this same issue.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

eduardofrances
679 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 17, 2010 00:45 |  #95

lazer-jock wrote in post #10376736 (external link)
Actually, if I recall Zack's exact answer, it was due to the fact that the AlienBees have (in his opinion) a slow flash duration. The flash was going off when the shutter was fully open, but it wasn't finished before the second curtain started to move. This is why Zack said that there was still the edge darkening in the 1/160th photo. A faster duration light source like a speedlite would not have this same issue.

I think he has it wrong, the problem lies in the 5d MKII it is a known issue that even Stephen Eastwood (Canon Explorer of Light) has explained that this camera won´t be able to sync with PW plus II at their max sync speed, he uses Quantum radio triggers or Hensel triggers because they are able to sync at max speed.

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/ (external link) :D

BrodieButler
94 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 17, 2010 01:20 |  #96

eduardofrances wrote in post #10376953 (external link)
I think he has it wrong, the problem lies in the 5d MKII it is a known issue that even Stephen Eastwood (Canon Explorer of Light) has explained that this camera won´t be able to sync with PW plus II at their max sync speed, he uses Quantum radio triggers or Hensel triggers because they are able to sync at max speed.

Well no, you are both right.

Zack explained it really well in general. And the alien bees do have a long flash duration so you wont be able to sync as fast as some other lights.

And yes the 5D MK II is known to not sync so well also. It changes from camera to camera and depends on the lights you use as well I have found.

Brodie Butler (Perth, West Australia)
5D MK III, 5DMK II, Pro Lenses, Speedlights galore, Elinchrom User.
Automotive / Glamour / Portrait Photographer
www.brodiebutler.com/b​log (external link)

borism
Goldmember
3,417 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 17, 2010 10:21 |  #97

Any news on when the video will be available for download?

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

eduardofrances
679 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 17, 2010 13:25 |  #98

BrodieButler wrote in post #10377104 (external link)
Well no, you are both right.

Zack explained it really well in general. And the alien bees do have a long flash duration so you wont be able to sync as fast as some other lights.

And yes the 5D MK II is known to not sync so well also. It changes from camera to camera and depends on the lights you use as well I have found.

While it may be the case that AB´s are slow Stephen has pointed that regardless of the brand of lighting he gets this problem to some extent or another thus he suggest that if max sync speed is a must then the solution is to try different brands of radio triggers (he pointed out Quantum radio triggers to be able to do max sync speed):

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/ (external link) :D

spesmeadeus
987 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 19, 2010 07:35 |  #99

Did anyone type out any notes from this event?

How does focal length affect portraits? (external link)
| Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) |

misterc
31 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 19, 2010 09:46 |  #100

photopat wrote in post #10358415 (external link)
Did you received any follow up twitt/email to confirm your win yet?

Yes I received a direct email to my Twitter account to email creativelive customer service. They said the prizes would start processing starting this past Monday.

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,467 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 19, 2010 10:01 |  #101

borism wrote in post #10378712 (external link)
Any news on when the video will be available for download?

From the email...it took a few days from the last one to get the rough videos online. Maybe they are working to release a more polished product this time around?

MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,467 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 24, 2010 16:32 |  #102

Any news? Anyone? :)

Hatch

Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

swalter
293 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 24, 2010 17:04 |  #103

Hatch1921 wrote in post #10420928 (external link)
Any news? Anyone? :)

Hatch

I got an email saying about an hour ago saying that they are working on them and they'll send another email when they are finished.

http://scwalter.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

ninetwentynine
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 24, 2010 17:39 as a reply to  @ swalter's post |  #104

for those who won prizes-- have you gotten them yet?

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,467 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 24, 2010 17:54 |  #105

swalter wrote in post #10421064 (external link)
I got an email saying about an hour ago saying that they are working on them and they'll send another email when they are finished.

Thank you for the info. I would imaging it is a huge job...

Thanks again,
Hatch

sponsored links

12,549 views & 0 likes for this thread
free workshop with Zack Arias streamed this weekend
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.