Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 May 2009 (Monday) 01:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DIY dual sliding camera strap for working 'togs

S-S
frustrating simple something
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 04, 2009 01:35 |  #1

i have a black rapid RS-2 strap and i really like it, but when i want to use 2 bodies at once the system falls down somewhat. they have recently released an add-on which allows you to attach 2 RS straps together at the back - which is fine - but it means you have to fork out for another strap as well as the connectors to make it work (of course)

cameraslingers.com also has a similar product range available now - again, not very cheap...

...so, i figured i'd have a go at putting a DIY one together from scratch. now just because this is DIY doesn't mean it has to look homemade - after all, i will be dangling some pretty expensive ornaments from it

i am going to use 1" black webbing, same as my rapidstrap, and i managed to find an online hardware retailer that stocks exactly the same black steel snap-hooks which blackrapid used on my strap - HERE (external link)

i also found triglide slides on the same site HERE (external link) (which will be used for length adjustment on the loose ends of the straps)... and further down the same page i found a 2-sided halter ring, which will become the connection point of all 4 strap ends, in the back of the harness

then i decided i wanted a really nice long shoulder pad which is comfortable both over clothes and on bare skin (in case i am wearing a sleeveless top in hot weather) and eventually found a reasonably priced gel guitar strap pad HERE (external link). i could have made one but this was cheap enough to make that not worthwhile

i dont know how long the webbing needs to be just yet, i will measure it from my existing R-strap once all the hardware arrives and i am ready to put it together

this project will require the minimum of work to assemble it - just a little stitching to fasten the webbing - and should be comfortable and functional - and a LOT cheaper than buying a branded item

to make this yourself you will need:

1" wide webbing (length to be advised)
2 x triglide slides 1" internal width
2 x steel swivel snap-hooks with 1" rectangle strap loop
1 x 2-sided halter ring with 1" rectangle strap loops
2 x guitar strap shoulder pads (or similar)
strong thread and a sharp needle

now blackrapid and cameraslingers both attach their straps to a bolt placed underneath the camera body. i prefer to leave my tripod mount free so i hook the snaphook to a simple split-ring on the camera's left strap mount. works great and i dont have to worry about additional stress placed on my battery grips, or unscrewing the tripod mount bolt by accident while hanging the camera

i will upload pics of the assembly process once i get all the bits (pictured below)

if you've already made a similar type of thing - share your pics & process :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 07, 2009 14:58 |  #2

Thank you! Please update once you get all the pieces.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

S-S
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 07, 2009 16:16 |  #3

will do, just waiting on shipping atm

doubledragon
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 24, 2010 10:38 |  #4

how did this turn out?

Philadelphia Wedding Photographer: Portfolio/Blog (external link)
Follow my Instagram, I'll follow you back (external link)
gear list

S-S
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 24, 2010 18:19 as a reply to  @ doubledragon's post |  #5

i was offered to buy a second RS-2 cheaply from a friend, so i ended up attaching a small removable strip of webbing to the back (just threaded through a handy little existing webbing loop) of both, so i can wear them as a double harness together or separate them to use just one as normal. i didn't have to buy their connector and the one i attached doesn't slip down as it threads through some fixed loops and around the strap... the webbing cost maybe 20c and a single plastic tri-glide fastens it.

i also attached a removable chest-retainer (using another short scrap of webbing and 2 clips) to stop any slippage from either shoulder while shooting - but so far i haven't had to attach it as the harness stays on fine without that

the main reason i didn't go ahead with the DIY one was the total unavailability of good pre-made strap pads here in NZ. the only thing i could find that would be comfortable and the right style was a fancy gel guitar strap pad... which i couldn't get hold of for less than NZ$70 - and i would need two of them. i suppose i could have got some fabric and foam and sewed some myself but i'm a little short on time LOL

it's very comfortable to wear because all the weight is spread onto the large padded areas, and unlike the couple-r that blackrapid sells it cant come undone accidentally, isnt in two separate parts, and i don't have to lose my 'stoppers' from the bottom of the straps to keep it in place

and unlike buying a dedicated dual harness, i can quickly separate the straps whenever i want to use them alone, so i dont have to buy another single strap

in the pic, photo on the right shows the dual harness minus the chest retainer
top left is the chest retainer
bottom left is the back showing the webbing that joins both RS-2s together to form the harness. see how it is threaded through the little loop tab on each which is part of the RS-2 (not sure what its original function was, it appeared to have none)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

leninglass
Goldmember
1,581 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 25, 2010 01:51 |  #6

^^ I love that idea. What and where did you get the center part?

Canon 5D Mark III x2 - 14mm Mark II f/2.8 L II - 24 L II - 35mm f/1.4 L - 50mm f/1.2 L II - 70-200 f/2.8 L II IS - 100L Macro - 600EX-RT x3
Lenin Glass - One of Oklahoma's Premier Wedding Photographers (external link)

Ainoko
Stupidest Question Award 2008
1,406 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 25, 2010 18:50 |  #7

S-S wrote in post #9675992 (external link)
and unlike buying a dedicated dual harness, i can quickly separate the straps whenever i want to use them alone, so i dont have to buy another single strap

Just FYI, the Black Rapid Double Strap (RS DR-1) will split. It's held together with velcro in the back, and when used as a single strap they are just as comfortable. Honestly, it was one of the best purchases I've ever made. I don't know how I shot before without it.

Full Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …?p=4846834&post​count=1005

sponsored links

6,320 views & 0 likes for this thread
DIY dual sliding camera strap for working 'togs
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.