Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Jun 2010 (Friday) 15:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Struggling with the Tamron 17-50 in low light

g3org3y
553 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 25, 2010 15:13 |  #1

Anyone else?

Using the Tammy for some 'inside' shots around the dinner table last night (and a bit outside). Light wasn't too bad tbh - opened up at f/2.8 and the lens was hunting like a hunty thing (i.e. a lot!). Quite surprise as I would have expected this from the Nifty Fifty, but perhaps not the Tammy. To note, it was on ISO 1600 and slightly underexposing. No flash.

Would it have performed better on a different body (currently on a 400D)?

Anyone else finding this lens a struggle in low light?

EOS 400D, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17 -50, Nifty Fifty f/1.8, Canon 100 f/2, 70-200L f/4, Speedlite 430EX II.

sponsored links
watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 25, 2010 15:24 |  #2

g3org3y wrote in post #10426568 (external link)
Anyone else?

Using the Tammy for some 'inside' shots around the dinner table last night (and a bit outside). Light wasn't too bad tbh - opened up at f/2.8 and the lens was hunting like a hunty thing (i.e. a lot!). Quite surprise as I would have expected this from the Nifty Fifty, but perhaps not the Tammy. To note, it was on ISO 1600 and slightly underexposing. No flash.

I don't find it a struggle as long as something you're aiming at has light on it,

an example with the Tamron 17-50 in low light @ f2.8, ISO 800 (XSi)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i974.photobucke​t.com …cyclo100/IMG_97​41copy.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Yaamon
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 25, 2010 15:30 as a reply to  @ watt100's post |  #3

I don't find that my tamron17-50 lens struggle or hunt, but what I do find that indoors if you do not use the flash it will get a focus lock but the pictures are not perfectly focused.

Outdoor focus is not a problem.

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 25, 2010 15:34 |  #4

watt100 wrote in post #10426612 (external link)
I don't find it a struggle as long as something you're aiming at has light on it,

So it doesn't hunt in low light when the light isn't low?  ???

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

ProD1gy_KiD
894 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 25, 2010 15:37 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #5

i have the same thing happen to me with the tammy. thinking of selling it in the near future.

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 25, 2010 17:41 |  #6

The lens is just one factor in obtaining good & quick low-light auto-focus .. the others being the body and the photographers technique.

Rebels generally have the least effective AF system of all Canon DSLR's, and many newer photographers fail to fully understand their role in obtaining good autofocus .. so before you blame the lens consider what else may be going wrong and how you can improve it.

FWIW I used a Tammy 17-50 2.8 extensively for two years with a 40D and was more than pleased with it's autofocus performance.

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

g3org3y
THREAD ­ STARTER
553 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 25, 2010 18:02 |  #7

mmahoney wrote in post #10427232 (external link)
The lens is just one factor in obtaining good & quick low-light auto-focus .. the others being the body and the photographers technique.

Rebels generally have the least effective AF system of all Canon DSLR's, and many newer photographers fail to fully understand their role in obtaining good autofocus .. so before you blame the lens consider what else may be going wrong and how you can improve it.

FWIW I used a Tammy 17-50 2.8 extensively for two years with a 40D and was more than pleased with it's autofocus performance.

As ever, I am always willing to improve my technique. Any hints?

It just surprised me given that in the situation the light wasn't as low as I thought would cause issues.

EOS 400D, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17 -50, Nifty Fifty f/1.8, Canon 100 f/2, 70-200L f/4, Speedlite 430EX II.

westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 25, 2010 18:17 |  #8

g3org3y wrote in post #10426568 (external link)
Anyone else?

All lenses/camera combos(using AF)are hungry for contrast and light that shows contrast. Anything the camera can do(a preflash or whatever) to show that contrast will help.

The attached picture comes from a Tammy 17-50, the VC version plus a 7D...shot a 1/10 of a second(would you believe??) and f/2.8. The color is a bit strange because the only light available was an incandescent bulb across the room...75 watts.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

FWIW, I was never tried to shoot a shot like this at 1/10 of a second before I bought this Tamron.

The only other f/2.8 lens I own(and will never sell) is my f/2.8 IS Canon 70-200 but I never use this lens for close ups like I did here with my dog Buddy.

The Tamron 17-50 is good lens...when used for what it was designed to do.

If you need more light.....

Go with the VC version of the Tammy, or a similar Canon or Sigma lens....

They are all very good.

Best of luck.

:)

IMAGES (external link)

VIDEO YouTube (external link)

VIDEO Vimeo (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,454 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 25, 2010 18:25 as a reply to  @ g3org3y's post |  #9

Making sure that your subject has enough contrast to it for the camera to GET focus. If your subject is monotone at all it begins to be hard for the AF system to lock on.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 25, 2010 19:30 |  #10

g3org3y wrote in post #10427314 (external link)
As ever, I am always willing to improve my technique. Any hints?

Use center point, single shot. Focus on a high contrast areas. Use the AF assist light if using an external flash. Pump the AF button by pressing it more than once.

Any more I'd have to charge 'ya :lol::lol:

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

jrs-7
71 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 25, 2010 21:36 |  #11

As others have said, use the centre focus point as it is the most sensitive, and aim at a high contrast area.

I love the lens, don't give up on it.

Here is a photo at the Australian War Memorial I took a few years ago with 400D and 17-50 Tamron in very low light.

17mm, f2.8, 1/30 sec, iso 1600, hand held

http://i61.photobucket​.com …ookes/war-Mamorial-24.jpg (external link)

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 25, 2010 23:06 |  #12

mmahoney wrote in post #10427657 (external link)
Use center point, single shot. Focus on a high contrast areas. Use the AF assist light if using an external flash. Pump the AF button by pressing it more than once.

Any more I'd have to charge 'ya :lol::lol:

this.

I shot a wedding reception outside, after 5pm, in mid october. the AF assist on my 550EX did wonders for the tamron.

not always an ideal or possible solution.. but you do what you can do

garycoleman
450 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 26, 2010 01:04 |  #13

yes the Tamron 17-50 is terrible in low light regardless if using it with my XSi or 7D.

Then I got a Canon 17-55 and it snaps in to focus instantly in low light. This is one of the main advantages of the Canon 17-55 vs Tamron 17-50

Canon 5D MKIII | Canon 60D | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 580EX II

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 26, 2010 04:36 |  #14

garycoleman wrote in post #10428939 (external link)
yes the Tamron 17-50 is terrible in low light regardless if using it with my XSi or 7D.

Then I got a Canon 17-55 and it snaps in to focus instantly in low light. This is one of the main advantages of the Canon 17-55 vs Tamron 17-50

maybe it depends on the photographer!
my Tamron 17-50 snaps into focus "instantly" in low light - even dark museums !

Tamron 17-50 2.8 ISO 1600 @ f2.8 (with XSi (450D)

http://i974.photobucke​t.com …_161328130iso16​00copy.jpg (external link)

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 26, 2010 05:07 |  #15

tkbslc wrote in post #10426647 (external link)
So it doesn't hunt in low light when the light isn't low?  ???

:lol:

gordon
Gear and Feedback

sponsored links

2,367 views & 0 likes for this thread
Struggling with the Tamron 17-50 in low light
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.