Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Jun 2010 (Saturday) 08:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

is it me or the lens??

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 26, 2010 10:33 as a reply to  @ post 10430163 |  #16

Noise Ninja or Noiseware, can take out excess noise when bumping ISO......There really isn't any way to remove motion blur or camera shake. I don't own your model camera but I suspect for any normal sized print you'll be just fine with the noise level, even without noise reduction.

Noiseware does a better job of removing noise without a lot of tuning. Noise Ninja can be better if you are willing to tune it a bit. If I am removing light noise I'll just pass it through the default settings in Noiseware. If I have a particularily difficult noise job to tackle I'll try fiddling with both and see which does the better job.

If you'd have been shooting at 1/500 and ISO 800 or 1600 I think your results would have been a lot better. The bottom line is don't be reluctant to push the ISO.

Remember, people weren't born knowing this stuff. I've ruined a lot of pictures learning exactly the lesson you learned here. Try some experimenting around the house with different settings. That way you'll be ready for your next graduation, or similar, shoot.

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,443 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 26, 2010 11:04 |  #17

HKGuns wrote in post #10430245 (external link)
Remember, people weren't born knowing this stuff. I've ruined a lot of pictures learning exactly the lesson you learned here. Try some experimenting around the house with different settings. That way you'll be ready for your next graduation, or similar, shoot.

Now that's the TRUTH! :p

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 26, 2010 11:12 |  #18

Snydremark wrote in post #10430163 (external link)
It sounds like you're struggling with some of the "hows and whys" of exposure. I would suggest some reading, such as Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

Sure, if the OP were using a 30 year old manual Nikon film camera. The sticky articles on this site are far more useful for modern gear.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

wtlwdwgn
714 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 26, 2010 11:50 |  #19

HKGuns wrote in post #10430245 (external link)

Well said. There are a lot of good essays on digital exposure as well as other aspects of digital photography. Google "digital exposure" and one of the very best will be the first. I go back to it often. :)

Steve
Pentax K-3, K10D, K20D, Nikon D700

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,048 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 26, 2010 12:17 |  #20

what brand of UV filter are you using?...if it's a cheap one...watch out that could be it right there...

also what focus mode were you using?

putting the lens on a tripod isn't really going to help you out...you've got IS that'll compensate for any shake you do so your shutter speeds should've been fine...there may be subject motion blur, but a tripod's not going to stop that...

my suggestion...it's probably the filter

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

phigment
230 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 26, 2010 12:37 |  #21

adgjqetuo wrote in post #10430066 (external link)
So I guess the only way to have fiexed this was to move the ISO up? But I don't see if it was so bright outside why I would have to up the ISO so much?

It appears that most of your pictures are backlit by the sun, so all the people's features are in shadow. Since you want to expose the faces properly you would have to bump the ISO to get the proper exposure.

A7R, Firin 20mm, CV 21/4, CV 40/1.4, 100ZE, 300 4LIS, Tamron 150-600, Jupiter 8, RX100 IV

paradiddleluke
Goldmember
3,594 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 26, 2010 15:21 |  #22

adgjqetuo wrote in post #10429897 (external link)
So at 250mm focal length I shouldn't be any slower then 1/400th?

How do I compensate for the dark pictures without raising the ISO?

this is correct, nothing under 1/400, though you have IS so you can go a bit under but if you want to rule the lens out completely then stay there. only way to fix this without raising ISO is getting a faster lens, an f/4 or f/2.8

Website (external link) | Chicago Actor Headshots (external link) | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link)
- Luke S -

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 28, 2010 03:09 |  #23

Shutter speeds of 1/250 with an IS lens and slowly walking or moving subject should be fine. I am not terribly stable and I could have done it with 1/100 with this lens. IN my view, these look like missed focus. Did you pick your own AF points? Did you use one shot or AI-Servo AF mode?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 28, 2010 03:36 |  #24

You know, something that occurs to me is that the OP may be too hasty in using the IS, in combination with less-stable shooting technique. The IS works if you leave the shutter button half-pressed for a bit (or the rear button) but it's best to wait until you see the effects in the viewfinder, which can take a little bit. Just pointing the camera and quickly shooting will likely defeat the function of the IS. So, maybe hasty shooting is the culprit here!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Genome
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 28, 2010 10:45 |  #25

Got any exif data for us to see? It really looks like motion blur but at 1/200 with IS on slow moving subjects to rules out motion blur and hand shake.

Flickr (external link)
In the bag:
Canon 500D Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Canon 70-200L f4 Jessops 2x converter Jessops 360 Flash

sponsored links

3,174 views & 0 likes for this thread
is it me or the lens??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.