Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 Jun 2010 (Sunday) 14:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

sending pics to computer

billozz
210 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 27, 2010 14:38 |  #1

i have the lead to send pics from camera direct to computer so that you can view thwm immediately is there any other way to do it wirelessly
thanks
bill

sponsored links
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 27, 2010 15:02 |  #2

There is, but it's going to cost you. What model do you have? Transmitters are always a way to do it and there is a SD card that does that.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

billozz
THREAD ­ STARTER
210 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 27, 2010 16:49 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #3

i have a canon 450d

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 27, 2010 19:23 |  #4

http://www.amazon.com …ics&qid=1277684​543&sr=8-1 (external link)

With this SD card, the data goes straight to you computer via wi-fi.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

billozz
THREAD ­ STARTER
210 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 28, 2010 01:58 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #5

does this work if you are away from home, i mean will it transmit to your laptop if you have it with you, say on an outdoor shoot

broadcast_techie
180 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 28, 2010 03:18 |  #6

On a side note, Jessops was recently the cheapest place for eye-fi cards plus if you use the jessops5 code you can save an extrav 5% and do collect in store to save the postage.

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 28, 2010 03:27 |  #7

billozz wrote in post #10438673 (external link)
does this work if you are away from home, i mean will it transmit to your laptop if you have it with you, say on an outdoor shoot

yes that eye-fi is amazing... I have seen it work in an event..

yes it can transmit to your laptop outdoors as long as you have a power source for the receiver and you connect that receiver to your laptop.

the radius is not very big though (not sure of other models) but you could put several receivers to cover your work area and it will continuously transmit the images to the computer

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 28, 2010 04:42 |  #8

billozz wrote in post #10438673 (external link)

You would have to connect using adhoc, though I'm not sure if the Eye-Fi is capable of doing that. Plus I'm not sure if the camera's firmware requires it to use Eye-Fi. I know when I bought my Casio Exelim EX-FC150 (P&S), it specifically states that it's capable of the Eye-Fi. You can configure the Eye-Fi via the camera.

Kind of a hassle I would think, plus you don't really know how well it would work. Safest would be to use a USB cable (maybe with an extender) from you laptop to your camera, then you can use EOS Utility.

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

billozz
THREAD ­ STARTER
210 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 28, 2010 10:15 |  #9

monk3y wrote in post #10438843 (external link)
yes that eye-fi is amazing... I have seen it work in an event..

yes it can transmit to your laptop outdoors as long as you have a power source for the receiver and you connect that receiver to your laptop.

the radius is not very big though (not sure of other models) but you could put several receivers to cover your work area and it will continuously transmit the images to the computer

sorry im not sure what you mean by receiver, i thought the card went in the camera....powered by the camera battery and the pics went straight top a wifi enabled laptop, im not a techie so i might be completely wrong!!!

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 28, 2010 11:14 |  #10

You're correct. The original EyeFi cards didn't support connections to ad-hoc networks; you needed to use a separate wireless access point (WAP, Router, Bridge or the like). Newer versions do allow ad-hoc connections; this has also enabled them to offer "geotagging", although the geotag gives you the location of record for the network when the file was transferred, not necessarily the location where the photo was taken. But the canera doesn't need explicit EyeFi support; you can (and in the original models were required to) configure your card in your computer. All EyeFi support does is give you a camera-card configuration capability. I've used an original EyeFi SD card in an SD-CF adapter in an EOS 20D successfully, and the camera predates the EyeFi card.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

billozz
THREAD ­ STARTER
210 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 28, 2010 11:34 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #11

sorry just to be absolutely clear, i have a wireless modem etc at home and a wifi laptop, i appreciate that it will transfer pics when im at home, but if ii take my laptop away from the router, does this device act like a dongle and send items to my computer even though im not near my wireless router. also how quickly does it send the pics to the computer
thanks for the help btw
bill

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 28, 2010 12:20 |  #12

If you have a recent EyeFi card, and you've configured it to talk directly to your computer, not to your WAP, yes it will send files directly. How fast depends on how far away you are and what the radio noise level is like. You're talking WiFi here, so the theoretical max. is around 9 MB/sec.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links

2,004 views & 0 likes for this thread
sending pics to computer
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.