Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 28 Jun 2010 (Monday) 09:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Still having a bit of problem with taking sharp macro images

GarethJB84
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 28, 2010 09:56 |  #1

Hi guys, I got some good tips in the last topic I started about the problems im having taking macro photos but still dont seem to be able to get the images as sharp as I'd been expecting from my new camera set up (the Canon 550d and the 100mm canon macro lens).
I've uploaded two of the latest images ive taken and wonder if you guys could take a looksee and see if you can give me anymore sharpness/focusing tips?

Here they are:
http://www.flickr.com …2/sizes/l/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)

http://www.flickr.com …0/sizes/l/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)

All the best,

Gareth

silvrr
Goldmember
2,736 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 28, 2010 10:14 |  #2

What are your settings on the second shot?

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art
flickr (external link) FeedBack

ThePritchett
34 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 28, 2010 10:17 |  #3

Lens: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Exposure: Manual exposure, 0.5 sec, f/18, ISO 100

Lens: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/10 sec, f/9, ISO 100
Flash: Off, Did not fire

I'm new at this too, but getting great results from the advice I've read here...

Your shutter speed is too slow. Unless you're using a very sturdy tripod and remote release you're going to get a soft shot.
Your aperture is too small (high number). With no flash, this is causing you to need the slow shutter speed, which is softening your pictures. There's also an issue with diffraction softening that I'm not very educated on and won't try to explain.
If you need a larger depth of field, there are focus stacking software options available that will let you stack multiple photos focused at different distances.

Try this:

Use a flash! With the 100 2.8 and no hood, you can leave the flash on the hotshoe.
Leave flash in ETTL mode
Put the camera in Manual
Set Shutter Speed to 1/250 (the flash sync speed)
Try an Aperture around f/8
For objects of this size, you can leave the lens set to auto focus. For max magnification, swith the lens to MF. Set magnification and focus by moving the camera back and forth.
Take picture. Handheld is fine at this shutter speed.

Use the FEV adjustments to account for over or underexposure. The aperture can be adjusted as well, but I have good luck from f/4-11.

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 28, 2010 10:38 |  #4

cool ring in the second shot
but I agree with thepritchett. definitely the best thing is to start there.
how to get the camera out of the reflection of the pearl, on the other hand, i would love to learn from others here! :)

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,239 views & 0 likes for this thread
Still having a bit of problem with taking sharp macro images
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.