Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jun 2010 (Sunday) 16:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50D vs T1I

MK5GTI
34 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 28, 2010 10:44 |  #31

Canon Canada recently clear some 40D with 28-135 for like $600 CAD or something, band for the bucks, consider the lense is worth ~$400US brandnew..

Original Rebel
Original 5D

sponsored links
petriej
83 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 28, 2010 10:50 |  #32

Obviously I would get the 7D, but if it were a head to head match between the 50D and T1i, I would pick the 50D. I have the T1i and yes it shoots video, but I really don't care all that much for the video. AFAIK you have to focus lock and shoot the video. If your DOF changes and you become out of focus you have to focus lock again which is extremely noisy during playback. AFAIA the T2i has basically the same focusing system on the video which again limits itself and if you are really serious about capturing new baby movements I think you will be disappointed - I was. I still kick myself for not getting the 50D. The video was the deciding factor for the T1i at the time and I'm not ecstatic about it. It's good for a still camera, but still no substitute for a real video camera.

Canon 5DMK4 | Canon EOS Rebel T1i | Canon ELF SD1000 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 II | Canon EF 50mm 1:4 | Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS | 580EXII | Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 | Manfrotto 488RC4 | PW MiniTT1 | PW FlexTT5 | Black Rapid Sport

murtaugh
THREAD ­ STARTER
301 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 28, 2010 11:16 |  #33

i just want to thank everyone for the awsome input and it is greatly appreciated.

kcbrown- the flash has a mind of it's own, some times it just won't take a pic and shuts down with different error codes, and i have a HUGE dust spot on the sensor and some little ones to.

warat- yes i am currently stationed at Dyess

so after reading all the input i think i have come to my decision, i think i am goind to go with the T2i for the time being, seeing as I have enough lenses for the time being to cover from 17-300 range. I will then start saving for the 5DMKII and the T2i will become my backup. This way I can start shooting again any maybe get a few odd jobs and shoots to help pay for the 5DMKII But the T2i is in my budget right now and will be more than adequate for what i need right now, after all the camera is just one of the many tools required, and will test me and allow me to work on my strengths and weaknesses alike.

Gear List.
50D w/grip, 50 1.8 II, 28-105 3.5-4.5 II USM, 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM, 17-40 4L/USM

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,288 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 28, 2010 11:19 as a reply to  @ murtaugh's post |  #34

Bravo - run with it and have fun! :cool:

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 100-400L IS II | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 10-18 IS STM
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 28, 2010 12:44 |  #35

murtaugh wrote in post #10440506 (external link)
will then start saving for the 5DMKII and the T2i will become my backup. This way I can start shooting again any maybe get a few odd jobs and shoots to help pay for the 5DMKII

Exactly what I'm doing, I think you'll enjoy the T2i and I hope you have a good lens to go with that sensor.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 28, 2010 12:50 as a reply to  @ enrigonz's post |  #36

the step up is really to T2/550D or 7D. Skip the other 3 digit or 2 digit bodies for the best bang for your money given what is currently on the market.

Getting the T2 saves money that can be applied to L glass. ;)

murtaugh
THREAD ­ STARTER
301 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 28, 2010 12:52 |  #37

engrigonz- i am thinking my 17-40L will do just fine, have you gotten the T2i yet, or still saving, i am hoping to have enough money together to get mine before my daughters 1 year birthday on the 23rd

Gear List.
50D w/grip, 50 1.8 II, 28-105 3.5-4.5 II USM, 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM, 17-40 4L/USM

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 28, 2010 13:12 |  #38

murtaugh wrote in post #10441091 (external link)
engrigonz- i am thinking my 17-40L will do just fine, have you gotten the T2i yet, or still saving, i am hoping to have enough money together to get mine before my daughters 1 year birthday on the 23rd

The 17-40L should be great!

I had my T2i for a few months already and I'm constantly blown away by the IQ and low light performance of this camera. I shoot mostly with my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and with the Canon 55-250mm IS lens, I get great results from those two lens. I want to start saving for a 70-200mm IS f/2.8 and once I acquire that lens I will start saving for a full frame such as the 5DMKII, it might be the 5DMKIII by the time I save the money, having a baby is not cheap so it'll take a while, but I'll get there one day.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,786 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 28, 2010 13:24 |  #39

I went with 500D (Tli) instead of 50D which is more expensive for my family budget. Last year November.
I don’t understand then they say - 50D has better grip. I’m big and tall and my hands are not small ever. It fits perfect to my hand. And I like small size and weight of Tli.
Just because I’m taking a lot of pictures outside and I do a lot of walking-hiking with it for hours.
Very often with kids.
Or this one, for example. Camera in one hand, kite in another one. I have to lay down to take this picture. Small weight and size of the camera were benefits for this shot.

IMAGE: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_hdZasF15SMc/S_CvRl7HQ0I/AAAAAAAAKAw/gkMGfsVOwXw/s400/IMG_6153.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com …/gkMGfsVOwXw/IM​G_6153.JPG (external link)

I’m not using any fancy bags for it. Very small, over the shoulder, lunch cooler fits camera, two more compact lenses, flash, and filter and micro-fibre towel, if water, snow gets on the lens-camera. It has pocket for charger and second memory card holder as well. I’m leaving it in my car sometimes, who needs lunch bag?

Taking video is very good option if you have kids.(Going to). You are taking not only motion, but their speech as well or how they play music. And if you would like just to catch some action, like snow tubing.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=e3F5RCn8jt8 (external link)

Only few futures I found on 50D to be usable and not existing on Tli.
1. 50D has top of the camera display. Very nice if you need to take low object shots (small kids often and sometimes rooms interiors).
2. 50D, if I’m not mistaken is more weather proved. I would like it, because I taking pictures while on boat and when I’m skiing.

I would recommend to get 500D or 550D and have some spare money for 15-85 or 24-105.

IMHO - 50D is not for pro-photo. It is if you would like to feel and looks like a pro. xxD is semi-pro. FF is something professional, I would think.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

tom ­ s
434 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 28, 2010 18:41 |  #40

I just got 50d (50d body and 550d 18-55 kit cost the same price here in Croatia).
I love it. Thank God 50d is on clearance so I was able to buy it that cheap. :)

Using: Canon 70d, Canon 50d, 135 2 USM L, 50 1.8, Sigma 10 2.8 HSM EX fisheye, Sigma 180 2.8 AP✿ macr✿, Sigma 18-35 1.8 ART, Nikon D5500

Guapo
548 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 28, 2010 19:36 |  #41

kf095 wrote in post #10441282 (external link)
I don’t understand then they say - 50D has better grip. I’m big and tall and my hands are not small ever. It fits perfect to my hand. And I like small size and weight of Tli.

Good for you! For others, this is not the case. Sorry you cannot understand this.

IMHO - 50D is not for pro-photo. It is if you would like to feel and looks like a pro. xxD is semi-pro. FF is something professional, I would think.

Think again. There are plenty of pros shooting with XXD's. There are also plenty of pros shooting with XXXD's as well.

- Steven
Canon 7D MkII

Nifty Fifty - Canon 17-55 f2.8 - Canon 70-200 f2.8
L IS MkII -

WARAT
Goldmember
1,190 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 28, 2010 20:05 |  #42

Are you ordering online? I am not sure if abilene's best buy has one. I was going to say check the t2i in store before you buy it that way you can order a grip too if you think its too small and too light for you.

For IQ, check out the t2i thread here somewhere..

CANON 5D3 [35 L] [70-200 mm MKII] [50 mm 1.4]

sponsored links

3,913 views & 0 likes for this thread
50D vs T1I
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.