Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jun 2010 (Sunday) 18:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d problem, involving water... help?

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 28, 2010 00:00 as a reply to  @ post 10437839 |  #16

I would be very hesitant to use either 91% ir 99% isopropyl alcohol because it is a solvent for some lubricants and also may damage some materials like rubber and plastic. I know that it is often used to dissolve soldering flux from fiberglass printed wiring boards, but only when removed from the equipment -- not when they are installed in the presence of materials that have the potential for being damaged by alcohol.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

sponsored links
Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 28, 2010 00:02 as a reply to  @ Bill Boehme's post |  #17

Canon would use a protective conformal coating over their circuit boards, Alcohol would just eat that away and your board will be even more susceptible to corrosion than if you would have just left it alone... keep in mind this same conformal coat would protect the boards and parts from salt corrosion but if you feel it totally necessary then clean it out with distilled water.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

PicSniper
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 28, 2010 00:07 |  #18

OP, I drive by this place whenever I visit my customers in North Miami. I've never stopped inside, but if you Google them, they're supposed to be an authorized Canon repair center with quick turn-around on repairs.

Here's their website: http://www.sp-ts.com/ (external link)

Good luck to you!

Hello, my name is Victor.
My Gear List

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 28, 2010 00:26 |  #19

Kento wrote in post #10438220 (external link)
Canon would use a protective conformal coating over their circuit boards, Alcohol would just eat that away and your board will be even more susceptible to corrosion than if you would have just left it alone... keep in mind this same conformal coat would protect the boards and parts from salt corrosion but if you feel it totally necessary then clean it out with distilled water.

Conformal coatings, as far as I have observed seem to only rarely be used in consumer equipment -- even the high grade stuff. Conformal coatings are not a cure all and have their own problems when it comes to microcircuits. Because of the high density of active circuits on chips and dense board packing, a lot of heat gets generated. Conformal coatings impede cooling and can also induce thermal stresses on components due to differences in coefficients of thermal expansion. The dielectric constant of conformal coatings can also be problematic at the very high frequencies used in microprocessor circuits (things like increasing the capacitance between wiring traces where the effect of even picofarads are significant or changing the velocity factor of strip lines causing pulse smearing).

FWIW, conformal coatings are normally impervious to alcohol.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

joeseph
"smells like turd"
11,036 posts
Gallery: 200 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jun 28, 2010 02:35 |  #20

sadly any problem repair involving water, especially salt water, is usually declined by the Canon tech folks.
There just isn't any way short of replacing everything, to be sure there won't be further trouble over time. If you can dry it out to a point where it works - great, but I wouldn't consider relying on a unit that had water-damage at some stage. If your camera isn't insured, you might be able to get a Canon loyalty program and get a good saving off buying another unit.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 28, 2010 02:56 |  #21

I really hope you get your camera fixed. All of the mentioned solutions are all but probable ways to maybe fix the submersion issue. The longevity of the camera is what's really in question. You may see it power up and work fine but damages to pieces affected may deteriorate much faster than others. Best to give it to Canon and let them do their business with it. Worst case: you gotta buy a new one but that would be a bit more assuring to me than to have your camera fail when you need it to work the most. Again, best of luck to you.

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 28, 2010 14:19 |  #22

Canon won't even look at water damaged items, at least in my experience. My 40D + 100-400mm went halfway under saltwater briefly. Sent it over to Canon, they did nothing but offer to trade up my 40D for a 50D. 100-400mm was sent straight back without being looked at.

Your best bet is to send it to a local camera shop, and possibly they can open it up and get replacement parts. That salt water is like acid on electronics, you should get it looked at asap.

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 28, 2010 14:23 |  #23

Do you have insurance on it? If not I'm afraid it is toast. Canon won't touch water damage. Independent shops will likely charge you as much as it is worth so you will likely have to get a new camera if your own fix doesn't work. Sorry about your luck.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

joeseph
"smells like turd"
11,036 posts
Gallery: 200 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jun 28, 2010 15:40 |  #24

hpulley wrote in post #10441666 (external link)
Do you have insurance on it? If not I'm afraid it is toast.

wouldn't it be toast either way?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 28, 2010 15:51 |  #25

joeseph wrote in post #10442160 (external link)
wouldn't it be toast either way?

Yes, but the insurance replacement would not be...

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

sponsored links

3,274 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d problem, involving water... help?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.