Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 06 Jun 2010 (Sunday) 21:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A True Beauty

CW ­ Jones
737 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 06, 2010 21:13 |  #1

One picture from a whale watch I went on last weekend at Cape Cod in Massachusetts. C&C always welcome.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4675837564_a05e241b55_b.jpg

Sorry for the watermark in the middle... you just can't be too careful sometimes!

-Collin

-Collin
Canon 30D Gripped + The "Budget Trinity" of lenses.
Full Gear List Here
Flickr (external link)
Razzi (external link)

sponsored links
Zipline
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 28, 2010 13:43 |  #2

My biggest pet peeve of whale watching photos is when people don't straighten out the horizon. You obviously did that so all's fine here! Great shot. I go whale watching quite a bit out of Gloucester, MA, but I don't recognize this whale's fluke pattern right off the top of my head. Do you remember which whale this was?

- Mandy
> Bodies: Canon Rebel 300D, XTi, and T3i
> Lenses: Kit Lens, Canon 75-300mm & 55-250mm lenses
> Check out my new site @ Hypnotized by Nature (external link)

CW ­ Jones
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 28, 2010 14:45 |  #3

O god I wish I knew which type this one was.... Let me go to the website and try and find out the common ones were. I am actually trying to get a job working with them next summer.

-Collin
Full Gear List Here
Flickr (external link)
Razzi (external link)

SkyBaby
Goldmember
1,205 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 28, 2010 20:46 |  #4

That's a Humpback Whale. No idea on age or gender, but I'll guess and say it's mature. I'm a bit obsessed with whales and dolphins.

~Kira~
Check out my Flickr for lots of aviation and nature related photography: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/skys_flickr/
Check out my Facebook fan page for my best of the best imagery. Give it a thumbs up if you like what you see! https://www.facebook.c​om/PhotographybyKiraAn​dreola (external link)

Zipline
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 28, 2010 21:13 |  #5

Ok... so I did some digging and figured out who this is. :)

This is an adult female named Cajun who is a new mom this year! Some background info if you're interested... Cajun is 12 years old (her mother is a whale named Cascade) and her calf from this season is her 2nd recorded. Her first calf from the 2008 season has been named Vault.

Here's a photo that I got of Cajun back on 5/25/09 if you want to compare markings or whatever. :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

http://www.whalesonfil​m.com/mn052509u.jpg (external link)

Also, from Dolphin Fleet's website:
http://www.whalewatch.​com …ages/humpbackid​/cajun.JPG (external link)

- Mandy

CW ­ Jones
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 28, 2010 21:44 |  #6

WOW very cool! I do remember them saying that name a few times. I was wondering which whale I captured!

We saw the Dolphin Fleet boat out there. I was on the "Whale Watcher" however because well.. I like the 5 jet engines on it. I like knowing we are the fastest thing in the water. I also like knowing that when we move there is no prop to hit a whale or anything.

I just wish I had a longer lens for that day.... the 18-55 wasn't nearly long enough! Time for the 55-250 eh? haha

-Collin
Full Gear List Here
Flickr (external link)
Razzi (external link)

CW ­ Jones
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 28, 2010 21:46 |  #7

I do remember them saying Cajun was a mother as well now, its funny how it all comes back to you!

I applied to a few different companies up in that area. Lucky for me my aunt has a place very close to the cape and I could live there for nothing with my girlfriend who is studying marine microbiology :)

-Collin
Full Gear List Here
Flickr (external link)
Razzi (external link)

Zipline
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 28, 2010 21:56 |  #8

Good luck to you on the job. Hopefully you'll get it. I can't imagine working on a whale watching boat. I'd be in heaven!!!! :) I usually go out of Gloucester myself.

I just bought the 55-250 lens myself. I have been using the old 75-300 IS, but it's seems to be dying on me so I ordered a new one tonight as a matter of fact. Can't wait to try it out this weekend!

If you have any other tail shots and want ID's on them I can try to help. I'm not an expert, but I am getting better and better at it. ;)

- Mandy

CW ­ Jones
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 28, 2010 22:00 |  #9

Sweet defiantly, thanks! I just noticed you were from this coast too haha wow I am slow! I was just in New Hampshire this weekend too! Up at lake winnipesaukee!

-Collin
Full Gear List Here
Flickr (external link)
Razzi (external link)

sponsored links

1,527 views & 0 likes for this thread
A True Beauty
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.