Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 29 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 05:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

saving files for customers

fallenangelmc666
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 29, 2010 05:36 |  #1

I have some photos that I need to send to a customer so they can choose which ones they want me to edit. My dilemma is, I read that apparently every time you resave a photo as a .jpg it supposedly loses more quality. So if I do some general fixes (red eye, watermark etc) for the customer, do I save:rolleyes::rolleyes: as a jpg for them and keep the original in another format eg. tiff? If so, what format do I keep them in for re-editing without losing quality?

Thank you for your help!

sponsored links
Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 29, 2010 06:01 |  #2

No RAW files? Keep an original Jpeg, and edit, and save as another file name. Try to always keep an "original". If you do that, you can always edit the original, vs editing the edited picture.

-Andy-

fallenangelmc666
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 29, 2010 06:09 |  #3

No RAW files. So when I edit the photo, I should do everything to it that I want to do before I ever save it?

Can you tell me what dpi I should be saving it as so the customer can print themselves? And dimensions of the photo? These are wedding photos I took for a friend, and they will be printing themselves.

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 29, 2010 06:22 |  #4

dimensions of a photo vary, and they will have to pay the price for it. a 4x6 is different than an 8x 10. I would keep all photos the same orientation, and let them choose when printing how they would like to change it.

I leave DPI at 300 (when converting from raw) on my 7D Depends on the cameras resolution.

Here is what I am talking about.
I got a photo "img_1000". Its unedited. I do some editing for presentation (I "save as" "img_1000wed"). Your client/friend chooses that same photo as part of the package, but they want selective coloring, so I would load the original "img_1000" and edit it accordingly, and save as another file name, into a separate folder that I will be giving them.

That's just how I work, and you will find your own method in time. But hoepfully this will give you an idea.

-Andy-

fallenangelmc666
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 29, 2010 07:07 |  #5

Ok, that helps a lot. It's a 12.1 mp SLR XSI. They were taken at highest quality pictures that are NOT Raw. Would you still say 300 dpi? Why not 600? Also, when I change the dpi to 300, the picture size changes to around 11 x 14, whereas with 600 it's around 5 x 7

So NOW, lol, they decide which pics they want, and when I'm sending them the final pic, should it be jpg or tiff? If they go to print the picture, and it's not exactly 5 x 7, will they lose some of the photo in the printing?

I'm a videographer by trade, so this is all very foreign to me! Thank you again for your help!

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 29, 2010 08:38 |  #6

Why 600DPI? You can if you want. But I'm telling you what I do. The DPI isn't going keep them from printing larger prints. If you set it up for 600dpi, your not adding any new information that wasn;'t already there at say 300 dpi. Your essentially just digitally enlarging it.

Sending final pic, most peopel don't even know what TIF is. TIF is a "RAW" version of jpg, They don't need it, not to mention the size is incredible (filespace wise).

And yes, they will lose portions of the picture depending on the scaling they choose to prnt with.

AND no problem. Hope this is helping.

-Andy-

fallenangelmc666
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 29, 2010 08:45 |  #7

Why 600 dpi? I have no idea, it just sounds better.

So the settings for photo size should just be kept at what they are when I download the camera? Not change them to 5x7 or anything else?

Thank you AGAIN so much for your help.

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 29, 2010 08:50 |  #8

If you change to a different aspect ratio, you will have to crop your image. the reason I recommend against that, it will create a back and forth issue between you and the client. "I want this in 11x14, and this by 5x7, and this 3x5" It's more work for you in the long run.

-Andy-

fallenangelmc666
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 29, 2010 09:18 |  #9

And they will still be able to print to any size if I leave it this way? That's my main concern.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 29, 2010 11:14 |  #10

fallenangelmc666 wrote in post #10446724 (external link)
Why 600 dpi? I have no idea, it just sounds better.

ppi info in the file doesn't matter one bit.

ppi = pixels per inch = number of pixels / size in inches.

a file that is 5x7" at 600 ppi has the exact same pixels as a 10x14" at 300ppi.

You can print both equally big. (about 10x14" at good quality, any size you like if you have realistic expectations quality wise. I'd say a 20x28 would come out quite decent)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

fallenangelmc666
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 29, 2010 12:02 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #11

Thank you for the information. Sometimes I overthink details when it's not necessary.

Karen

sponsored links

1,715 views & 0 likes for this thread
saving files for customers
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.