Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 11:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS 7D vs. 5DmkII

19dsniper
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 29, 2010 11:05 |  #1

I need some advise from those who have experience with both of these cameras. I am looking at upgrading from my gripped 40D to one of these two cameras... However i dont know which one to chose. I LOVE the high megapixel count of the 5DmkII but it only bursts at 3fps, where as the 7D bursts at 8fps. I do all sorts of photography, from portrait, candid, landscape, animals, birds in flight, sports.... just about anything and everything... The 5DmkII is at the top of my price range so please dont recomend anything above that... My question is, what would be best for my photography needs? I feel as if i need/want the 8fps of the 7D. But i have no experience with either of these cameras, and dont have a local place to rent both and put them through their paces just to test them out... Please help. Pictures are always welcome!!
Thanks everyone!

ETA: I also shoot ALOT in low light and need something that wont have alot of noise at high ISO.

sponsored links
vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,987 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Jun 29, 2010 11:09 |  #2

19dsniper wrote in post #10447416 (external link)
I need some advise from those who have experience with both of these cameras. I am looking at upgrading from my gripped 40D to one of these two cameras... However i dont know which one to chose. I LOVE the high megapixel count of the 5DmkII but it only bursts at 3fps, where as the 7D bursts at 8fps. I do all sorts of photography, from portrait, candid, landscape, animals, birds in flight, sports.... just about anything and everything... The 5DmkII is at the top of my price range so please dont recomend anything above that... My question is, what would be best for my photography needs? I feel as if i need/want the 8fps of the 7D. But i have no experience with either of these cameras, and dont have a local place to rent both and put them through their paces just to test them out... Please help. Pictures are always welcome!!
Thanks everyone!

ETA: I also shoot ALOT in low light and need something that wont have alot of noise at high ISO.

5DII off that need right there.

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 29, 2010 11:10 |  #3

vipergts831 wrote in post #10447440 (external link)
5DII off that need right there.

IDK. The 7D is more than proficient in low light

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 29, 2010 11:13 as a reply to  @ midnight_rider's post |  #4

If you go to the 5D2 you it will ( appear) as if you lost some reach. Most sports shooters enjoy the higher FPS of the crop cameras along with the extra reach. For birdingthis is helpful as well. The New AF on the 7D may also be a good selling point for you as well.

What are you wanting that your 40D is not giving you.

What other gear do you have?

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,288 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 29, 2010 11:15 |  #5

19dsniper wrote in post #10447416 (external link)
... I am looking at upgrading from my gripped 40D .... I LOVE the high megapixel count of the 5DmkII ....

One thing to concider is that though the 5D has a higher pixel count, you'll get fewer pixels on target than with your 40D. This is important when doing wildlife/bird shots. For instance, a pic taken with your 40 of a bird in flight will give you an image. The same pic with a 5D you'll either have to have a longer lens, or be a lot closer to fill the 5D frame to the same amount.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

bkdc
888 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 29, 2010 11:17 |  #6

gjl711 wrote in post #10447471 (external link)
One thing to concider is that though the 5D has a higher pixel count, you'll get fewer pixels on target than with your 40D. This is important when doing wildlife/bird shots. For instance, a pic taken with your 40 of a bird in flight will give you an image. The same pic with a 5D you'll either have to have a longer lens, or be a lot closer to fill the 5D frame to the same amount.

Or you can just crop the picture.

RF 24-70 f/4L IS | RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS | RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS | RF 50L | RF 85L | 600EX-RT x 3

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,288 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 29, 2010 11:21 |  #7

bkdc wrote in post #10447485 (external link)

But that's my point. Yes you can, but the image you will get will be of lower resolution than the current 40D. The 5DMkIIs sensor with the 1.6 center cropped out is about 8mp. For many things like landscapes and portraits this isn't important. For wildlife and birds your upgrade might actually be a downgrade in IQ without some other adjustment.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,928 posts
Gallery: 1739 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Jun 29, 2010 11:21 |  #8

bkdc wrote in post #10447485 (external link)

Eh? I think he was highlighting the fact that you'd still have less pixel-on-target. Isn't so much about cropping to recompose.

There is no jack-of-all-trades camera. To gain an advantage somewhere, you must sacrifice elsewhere. Make a list of what you shoot, what you want/need from the camera, and then find the camera with the least amount of sacrifices/compromises and there's your decision.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 29, 2010 11:24 |  #9

Ha..would it be kosher to recommend a D700? Has the low light performance of the 5D MK II and the burst/autofocus of the 7D. I'd still prefer a crop camera for birds though. That fake reach is invaluable, given the exponential cost of long lenses.

Edit: Minus Nikon, I would go with 5D MK II, or maybe a used 1d Mark III. Don't think you would be happy with a 7D if the 40D high iso bugs you that much.

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Jun 29, 2010 11:24 |  #10

Any chance of keeping the 40D as a 2nd/backup? If so, go with the 5DMKII.

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

19dsniper
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 29, 2010 11:26 |  #11

I just realised my gear list is not coming up for some reason, sorry.
Gripped 40D, 20D, Canon 100-400mm. f4.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon 28-135mm. f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM.

The 40d just has soo much noise that i dont enjoy shooting it at ISO 800 or higher. That, and i am getting married in a year and a friend is shooting the wedding for free.... I would LOVE to have a better camera for her to use than her 40D and my 40D as a back up..

19dsniper
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 29, 2010 11:28 |  #12

Definately keeping the 40D as a back up.. forget Birds in flight, hope that doesnt make anyone mad... Its not something i do often enought to be a huge factor...

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 29, 2010 11:36 as a reply to  @ 19dsniper's post |  #13

With all of your lenses being EF My first response would be 5D2 that way you can enjoy both FF or crop...Best of both worlds right.....

But then I notice all of you glass is SLOW... Forget high ISo, it is not nearly as nice as glass speed. So for the same amount as a 5D2 go get some good glass and get the extra stops of light there

40dbaby
516 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 29, 2010 11:36 |  #14

5d2 then, but dont expect any improvements in AF.

Only an untrained eye can appreciate the sharpness of a lens...
5DII | Zeiss 50 MP | Sigmalux | 85 1.8 | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 100-400L | 580ex II | 430ex II

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,289 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 29, 2010 11:43 |  #15

19dsniper wrote in post #10447552 (external link)
The 40d just has soo much noise that i dont enjoy shooting it at ISO 800 or higher.

It's so different how you envision it. When I use my 40D, I think it has very little noise. I use high ISO mainly for action photos, where hopefully what's going on in the picture is interesting enough to keep people's attraction away from possible noise in the image.

Anders

sponsored links

11,928 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 7D vs. 5DmkII
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.