Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question!

this thread is locked
wishlf
405 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 29, 2010 18:43 |  #2896

maverick678 wrote in post #10449967 (external link)
Mine is different...1,2,3,4, and 5. 1 is Short, 2 is Normal, and 3 is Long.

You have D300S? which firmware you have? mine is 1.01

K-5 [31 LTD F/1.8] [100 MACRO WR F/2.8]

sponsored links
DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 29, 2010 18:46 |  #2897

D700 but they should be the same menu-wise AFAIK. Firmware 1.0.2.

wishlf wrote in post #10449981 (external link)
You have D300S? which firmware you have? mine is 1.01

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 29, 2010 18:46 as a reply to  @ post 10449976 |  #2898

Wishlf,
These are or objects that are coming towards the camera. I woudl set the time to short since this is very tying on the Af. The subject is not staying on the same plane very long at all. especially the car. Turning the VR off is also a good idea.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 29, 2010 18:48 |  #2899

wishlf wrote in post #10449961 (external link)
Let's say you taking photo of people riding bicycle, do you use 9 or 21?

my af settings for action is:
a1:focus
a2:focus
a3: dynamic af area 9
a4: normal
a5: af-on only
a6: auto
a7: off
a8:af51

and on the back of the camera I use the dynamic (middle) af mode selection.

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

wishlf
405 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 29, 2010 19:21 |  #2900

midnight_rider wrote in post #10449997 (external link)
Wishlf,
These are or objects that are coming towards the camera. I woudl set the time to short since this is very tying on the Af. The subject is not staying on the same plane very long at all. especially the car. Turning the VR off is also a good idea.

Thanks Kirk.

K-5 [31 LTD F/1.8] [100 MACRO WR F/2.8]

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 29, 2010 19:32 |  #2901

wishlf wrote in post #10449976 (external link)
Those cars in the photos were probably moving at about 60mph directly toward me. Maybe that's the reason why first 4 were OOF. I assume Nikon needs couple of seconds to fully activate AF

Canon, Nikon, same thing. You need to give the camera a chance to be able to predict movement.

Also, with regards to the license plates being blurry at 1/6400, this is precisely why I suggested you turn VR off at 1/6400 while tracking moving targets. VR will work against your movement and it tends to do funky things at that high a shutter speed.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 29, 2010 19:34 |  #2902

midnight_rider wrote in post #10449997 (external link)
Wishlf,

That setting is actually not how fast it tracks a moving target, it's how fast it will latch on to another target.

If you are shooting something solitary, like a car moving towards you, this setting isn't that critical.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 29, 2010 19:36 |  #2903

wishlf wrote in post #10449961 (external link)
Let's say you taking photo of people riding bicycle, do you use 9 or 21?

It depends. I would guess that cyclist move in a consistent fashion, unlike, say a basketball player. So I would use 9. In reality, I have mine set at 21 and it's fine for many things.

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 29, 2010 19:46 |  #2904

nicksan wrote in post #10450208 (external link)
That setting is actually not how fast it tracks a moving target, it's how fast it will latch on to another target.

If you are shooting something solitary, like a car moving towards you, this setting isn't that critical.

Okay I am going to tell you what I know and lets figure this out.

This setting is a way to set the speed in which your focus readjust. Slower settings are very helpful when objects momentarily get in your way of a predictable object. Faster settings are better when your subject is spastic because it will adjust without hesitation.

This setting is very helpful when you are tracking a subject across a frame. If the subject is moving perpendicular to the camera then this setting will allow you to set how sensitive the camera is re adjusted. IE if you set your tracking a bird in flight and it crosses a tree between you and the bird, With the setting on Short your focus will readjust to the tree. Same scenario with this setting on Long and the focus is not so easily reset to the tree, It will keep on the same focal plain longer ans wait for the bird that should be returning near where it was.

Now in my experience since the objects moving towards you it is constantly moving into different plains. With a slower setting the camera will wait longer to readjust the focal plain. With a shorter setting the camera will not hesitate to readjust the plain, hence better tracking with motion towards the camera.

Please let me know if I am misunderstanding something

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 29, 2010 20:14 |  #2905

midnight_rider wrote in post #10450278 (external link)
Okay I am going to tell you what I know and lets figure this out.

This setting is a way to set the speed in which your focus readjust. Slower settings are very helpful when objects momentarily get in your way of a predictable object. Faster settings are better when your subject is spastic because it will adjust without hesitation.

This setting is very helpful when you are tracking a subject across a frame. If the subject is moving perpendicular to the camera then this setting will allow you to set how sensitive the camera is re adjusted. IE if you set your tracking a bird in flight and it crosses a tree between you and the bird, With the setting on Short your focus will readjust to the tree. Same scenario with this setting on Long and the focus is not so easily reset to the tree, It will keep on the same focal plain longer ans wait for the bird that should be returning near where it was.

Now in my experience since the objects moving towards you it is constantly moving into different plains. With a slower setting the camera will wait longer to readjust the focal plain. With a shorter setting the camera will not hesitate to readjust the plain, hence better tracking with motion towards the camera.

Please let me know if I am misunderstanding something

Correct.

You omitted the most important part in your initial post so I was just trying to make things more clear. It has nothing to do with the actual act of tracking, it has more to do with re-acquisition more than anything else. If another athlete crosses in front of the one you were tracking, this setting determines how long the camera waits until it decides whether it's supposed to track that athlete or continue to track the original one.

Hence, for tracking a solitary car headed towards your way, once the camera acquires focus, this setting really shouldn't have any impact on things at all.

Pretty much the same deal whether you are shooting a Nikon or Canon.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 29, 2010 21:08 |  #2906

Turns out it's different on D300s...anyway for what you're trying to shoot this setting doesn't matter. It should be easy...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

maverick678 wrote in post #10449996 (external link)
D700 but they should be the same menu-wise AFAIK. Firmware 1.0.2.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 30, 2010 00:22 |  #2907

nicksan wrote in post #10450208 (external link)

Just don't set it to "Off". Quoting Nikon: "note that Off reduces effectiveness of dynamic-area AF"

I shoot at my daughter's swim meets and "Short" works really well. If I shot soccer or football I'd probably use "Normal".

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 30, 2010 00:27 |  #2908

nicksan wrote in post #10450203 (external link)
Canon, Nikon, same thing. You need to give the camera a chance to be able to predict movement.

Also, with regards to the license plates being blurry at 1/6400, this is precisely why I suggested you turn VR off at 1/6400 while tracking moving targets. VR will work against your movement and it tends to do funky things at that high a shutter speed.

Thanks Nick. Makes more sense why Nikon recommends in the D3 Professional Technical Data Guide setting VR to "Off" for shutter-speeds higher than 1/500s.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

YseanY
160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 30, 2010 02:28 |  #2909

anyone who swtiched over to nikon miss the canon primes? it's been tempting to move from the 5d classic to the d700 with their zooms (i'll be starting with the 24-70mm), but canon 35L, 85L, and 135L are holding me back. but with the higher ISO handling capabilities matched with the F2.8, it seems like the fast primes won't be missed too much. is this what can be expected?

Padawan ­ Dad
908 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 30, 2010 06:03 |  #2910

YseanY wrote in post #10452112 (external link)
anyone who swtiched over to nikon miss the canon primes? it's been tempting to move from the 5d classic to the d700 with their zooms (i'll be starting with the 24-70mm), but canon 35L, 85L, and 135L are holding me back. but with the higher ISO handling capabilities matched with the F2.8, it seems like the fast primes won't be missed too much. is this what can be expected?

I had the 24 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.2, and the 135 2.0.

I think that canon has a much better assortment of primes than Nikon, but I did pick up the 50 1.4G for my D700, and my copy it is tack sharp at 1.4, focuses faster than the Canon 1.4, and has nicer bokeh IMO. I am going to pick up the 85 1.4. Would like to rent and try Nikons 35's at some point, but would love to see more of a quality selection of primes from Nikon in the future. Canon definitely has them here. Although, I really do believe that the Canon 24 1.4 and 85 1.2 are WAY overpriced.

Bill Hicks Photography (external link)

Nikon D700 • 50 ƒ/1.4G • 24-70 ƒ/2.8 • 70-200 ƒ/2.8 VRII SB900  iMac

sponsored links

642,184 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question!
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.