Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 15:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If digital didn't exist...

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,385 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 30, 2010 15:18 |  #1

If digital didn't exist, would you still be as enthusiastic about photography as you are now?

I think this is more relevant to people that either started with digital or switched over completely from film. If you still do film, at all, it's probably not as relevant a question.

Anyway, as for me as a total switch-over convert, I'd say yes... I would still be as enthusiastic if only film existed. I loved shooting with film. My reasons for switching are complex, but don't have anything to do with any faults of film.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

sponsored links
ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 30, 2010 15:28 |  #2

As someone who's never used a film DSLR, I probably wouldn't be into photography if it wasn't for digital. Free pictures is the biggest incentive, and I'm a huge fan of digital post processing.

scobols
Goldmember
1,360 posts
Gallery: 132 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 30, 2010 15:34 |  #3

ingraman wrote in post #10455085 (external link)
Free pictures is the biggest incentive

Ha ha... that's funny ;)

www.scottbolster.com (external link)
facebook (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 30, 2010 15:37 |  #4

I enjoyed photography in the film days. No doubt, and if, as you say, there was not digital I'm sure I would still be enjoying photography. Would I choose to go back? Nah. Now, understand that I never touched MF or LF film shooting, maybe if I had I might still dabble with that, but since I didn't I don't miss it:).

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 30, 2010 15:39 |  #5

Pretty sure I have more negs/slides than I do digital images...so far.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,385 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 30, 2010 15:40 |  #6

As someone who's never used a film DSLR,...

This tips you off as someone who has never used film... there is no such thing as a "film DSLR". :lol:

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 30, 2010 15:40 |  #7

As someone who's never used a film DSLR, I probably wouldn't be into photography if it wasn't for digital. Free pictures is the biggest incentive, and I'm a huge fan of digital post processing.

i don't think anyone's ever used a film DSLR. ;)

edit: hahaha, photoguy beat me to it. :p

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,281 posts
Gallery: 301 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 30, 2010 15:48 |  #8

I'd still be into it, although its hard to say what would be different. Digital has opened up photography to the masses in ways that are both good and bad. I like to see the exciting images people are making as a result of digital. But I have to admit I get annoyed at the number of instant pro's that digital has spawned.

dugcross
876 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 30, 2010 15:51 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #9

Yeah, I've been into photography since around 81. I actually held out for a long time before I went digital.

Doug Cross
Graphic Designer and Photographer
www.crossphotographics​.com (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 30, 2010 15:52 |  #10

gonzogolf wrote in post #10455198 (external link)
I'd still be into it, although its hard to say what would be different. Digital has opened up photography to the masses in ways that are both good and bad. I like to see the exciting images people are making as a result of digital. But I have to admit I get annoyed at the number of instant pro's that digital has spawned.

Just think of it as carte blanche to rifle through everyone's shoeboxes and drawers... ;)

The film negs and slides are out there but digital has simply allowed the world to pretty much clean house via the interwebs.

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 30, 2010 15:54 |  #11

I shot film for quite some time but got out because of the cost and hassle of developing film. Digital brought me back into the game...(though I did wait for some 10 years in between)

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,281 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 30, 2010 16:01 |  #12

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10455226 (external link)
Just think of it as carte blanche to rifle through everyone's shoeboxes and drawers... ;)

The film negs and slides are out there but digital has simply allowed the world to pretty much clean house via the interwebs.

Yeah but there used to be a bit of a brotherhood of film shooters (especially pre EOS). To do it right you had to invest your time and perhaps pay some dues. Now that means nothing. The best still do that, but there are a lot of people booking weddings their second week with a dslr.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 30, 2010 16:05 |  #13

gonzogolf wrote in post #10455288 (external link)
Yeah but there used to be a bit of a brotherhood of film shooters (especially pre EOS). To do it right you had to invest your time and perhaps pay some dues. Now that means nothing. The best still do that, but there are a lot of people booking weddings their second week with a dslr.

The best though remain firmly at the top of the food chain. The major difference now is finding a way to rise above (and remain above) the noise level.

There may be more CL-listed garbage collectors but IMO, it's made the best even better.

In my world, there are now tens of thousands of people posting images from airshows and other fly ins but the very best in the industry still get the magazine assignments and sell the most fine art prints. I prefer to keep looking up at them instead of looking over my shoulder. ;)

Jay

super65
54 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 30, 2010 16:09 |  #14

If digital didn't exist, I suppose the economical thing to do would be to apply my enthusiasm towards making DSLRs. More seriously, I never went beyond film point and shoots, so I've never been able to do what I do today on film.

Out of my ignorance of what it is like to use film SLRs, right now I would say that I would not be as enthused with photography. Perhaps I would appreciate this activity, but as an outsider that made no exposures himself.

Canon 40D, EF 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,281 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 30, 2010 16:15 |  #15

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10455316 (external link)
The best though remain firmly at the top of the food chain. The major difference now is finding a way to rise above (and remain above) the noise level.

There may be more CL-listed garbage collectors but IMO, it's made the best even better.

In my world, there are now tens of thousands of people posting images from airshows and other fly ins but the very best in the industry still get the magazine assignments and sell the most fine art prints. I prefer to keep looking up at them instead of looking over my shoulder. ;)

I'm honestly not even competing with them. I'm shooting for myself and just enough spare change to pay for some extra gear. I just dont like the instant experts I guess.

sponsored links

7,065 views & 0 likes for this thread
If digital didn't exist...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.