Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I wanna make a double image.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 30, 2010 14:11 |  #16

I'm not, but we have a stickie: Gimp tutorials ;)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links
TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 30, 2010 14:12 |  #17

xs5875 wrote in post #10454650 (external link)
AWESOME! Thanks..I am using GIMP, dont have photoshop..sigh! Are you familiar with that?

Not really, but the tools are all pretty much the same.

Get the images on two layers and I'm sure you can google to figure out how exactly to use a layer mask. What you're doing is actually quite simple.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

Edsport
662 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 30, 2010 18:58 |  #18

Easier way in photoshop is to copy one photo and paste on the other then use eraser or history brush. I've never used gimp so not sure how to do it with that program...

Cameras - Canon 350D, 5D
Lenses - Canon 18-55mm, 75-300mm, 50mm f/1.8, 24-105L, 24-70L
Flashes - Yongnuo YN460 II, YN468
RF-602 transmitter and 2 receivers

Michael_B
THREAD ­ STARTER
817 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 01, 2010 00:38 |  #19

Anyone know how in GIMP?

My Gallery (external link)

50D, 18-55 IS, 70-200 f4L[COLOR=black], 430EX II, BG-E2N, 200-400 IS USM L w/1.4x..thats right, getting ready.

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 01, 2010 00:41 |  #20

xs5875 wrote in post #10457974 (external link)
Anyone know how in GIMP?

Follow this:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=682977

Just replace the black and white image in the steps with your second image.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

obkcaptain
159 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 01, 2010 02:05 |  #21

Easy way:
I use a simple trick in photoshop
I make two pictures (using MANUAL FOCUS, tripod, same exposition)
I put one over the other one, then I erase where "myself" would be (sliding the opacity, thaht helps)
and...voilá.

A Canon gear, some lenses, mono(tri)pod, flash and need to learn...

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 01, 2010 06:03 |  #22

I get the idea that the OP has no understanding of masks, layer masks, and how to use the tools to work with them. If anyone can point to a very basic link describing these things and how to get started with them in Gimp, it would help. The above link to selective coloring in Gimp had a lot of useful info, but may throw the brand new beginner a bit off for what is a pretty simple project.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

obkcaptain
159 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 01, 2010 09:01 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #23

Ah... it's hard without a prior aknowledge...
First: download this file http://www.vislab.uq.e​du.au …/manuals/gimp/g​imp2.2.pdf (external link)
Second: go to the chapter 5 where its explain what does the layer work and read slighly and then the chapter 8.17
Third. Install the camera on the tripod. Set MANUAL FOCUSING (in order to maintain the focus invariable) and take (with the delay shutter) two pictures. In fisrt of them, you would be in position A, on the second, in B position.
Fourth: Download these images on the computer.
Fifth: Open GIMP software
sixth: open these two images. Normally they would be in the same size. (Otherwise, adjust it).
seventh: put the image A OVER (yes, just over) the other one (B).
Once you had this, you will have a picture win only one of "yourself".
Erase (using "erase" tool, yes, as when you were at school) the area where you would be (in the other photo) and you will appear....
(it's more easy to do, than to explain)...specially for me. 'cause I'm spanish and my mother tonge isn't english.
Sorry, Can't be more didactical....

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 01, 2010 09:57 |  #24

Thanks, obkcaptain, I hope that helps the OP! I'm not a Gimp user and so can't say much but "layer this, mask that, blah blah blah" which doesn't help someone who is both brand new to Gimp and unknowledgable about the basics of such things!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Michael_B
THREAD ­ STARTER
817 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 01, 2010 10:25 |  #25

tonylong wrote in post #10458783 (external link)
I get the idea that the OP has no understanding of masks, layer masks, and how to use the tools to work with them. If anyone can point to a very basic link describing these things and how to get started with them in Gimp, it would help. The above link to selective coloring in Gimp had a lot of useful info, but may throw the brand new beginner a bit off for what is a pretty simple project.

Bingo.

50D, 18-55 IS, 70-200 f4L[COLOR=black], 430EX II, BG-E2N, 200-400 IS USM L w/1.4x..thats right, getting ready.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 01, 2010 11:15 |  #26

xs5875 wrote in post #10459831 (external link)
Bingo.

Heh! I figured as much!

Have you done the Gimp install? If so, take some time to browse the Help file to get an overview, then try going carefully through obkCaptain's post above my last one and see if you can follow it, make some sense of it, and do something with it. After you've done a bit, then get back here and ask questions that come up, but get some of the basics down first!

Tony

Michael_B
THREAD ­ STARTER
817 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 02, 2010 11:00 |  #27

Well I finally did it. And after pulling my hair out, I decided to see how similar PS and GIMP really are, and there are quite a few similarities. This is just a quick shot, to learn how to combine, get familiar with PP, and set the stage. To be honest, the screen shots from the link on the first page really helped. This is mine! No touch ups or nothing, I just freaked when I finally got them to combine, then I erased it and done it againto make sure I didnt do it on accident!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

obkcaptain
159 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 05, 2010 01:17 |  #28

well done !
repeat the procesus 3,4,5....more times and you will be crowded...

Stupid idea: put a group of chairs (4 or 5) in the garden. And take a photo in each position, (seatted and behind), looking at front, right, up, down, left, wearing shades, tie, jeans, blah, blah, blah. You will have a group (10 people) of "you"...

sponsored links

3,023 views & 0 likes for this thread
I wanna make a double image.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.