Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Jun 2010 (Monday) 23:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you save raw files after converting to dng?

itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 28, 2010 23:41 |  #1

for those of you who import and convert your raw files to dng into LR,
do you still keep your RAW files around or do you delete them and just work with the dng files?

I am still trying to figure out the best way to do this because having both dng, raw is beginning to take a toll on my HD space.

is it really necessary to keep the raw files once they are converted into dng?

thanks

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
- TT Streetwalker Pro | Domke F-5XC -
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 28, 2010 23:43 |  #2

I have onsite backups in CR2, offsite in DNG. If I converted to DNG when I imported i'd only back up DNG.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

itsmejson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 28, 2010 23:58 |  #3

tim wrote in post #10445004 (external link)
I have onsite backups in CR2, offsite in DNG. If I converted to DNG when I imported i'd only back up DNG.

great thanks for your input

anyone else?

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
- TT Streetwalker Pro | Domke F-5XC -
Flickr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 29, 2010 03:02 |  #4

I keep both. I can work on DNGs when I use LR or ACR. But sometimes I want / have to use DPP so I need the CR2 for that.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,206 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 29, 2010 07:25 |  #5

I keep my original CR2's. (after culling the obvious junk in Bridge) I keep them because I sometimes want to use them in Capture One or DPP later.

When importing into Lightroom I select to create a copy of these CR2 files and these copies get saved to another internal hard drive. After doing keywording and any PP work on them I then convert to DNG.

I back up the original CR2's and the DNG's I use as working files.

Kev

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 29, 2010 08:31 |  #6

I do not save CR2's, nor do embed the original RAW in the DNG. To me sort of defeats the purpose of DNG to save both and would be very demanding of disk space. I don't reformat/erase the card until after I have processed the DNG's in LR and exported the jpg's of any keepers and uploaded to Smugmug, with that I have ample backup copies for my needs.

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

dugcross
876 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 29, 2010 09:58 as a reply to  @ lungdoc's post |  #7

I only keep my dng files. Granted they're backed up 3 different times.

Doug Cross
Graphic Designer and Photographer
www.crossphotographics​.com (external link)

Redcrown
345 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 29, 2010 11:54 |  #8

I keep the CR2 files until I've completed all processing of the DNG. Then I sometimes selectively save a few of the CR2s, only the ones that presented some unique or difficult challenges. Very infrequently I may reprocess some in DPP.

One thing to remember about CR2 and DNG. All cameras imbed a jpeg in the CR2. Some cameras, like my Canon 5D2, imbed a full sized jpeg, adding several megabytes to the file.

The DNG converter has the option to keep or strip the imbedded jpeg. If you strip the jpeg you save disk space. Considerable disk space on large libraries. Even if you tell the DNG converter to strip the jpeg, it still imbeds a small thumbnail sized jpeg.

spkerer
953 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 29, 2010 15:46 |  #9

I'm in the "keep the DNG only" crowd.

Leesburg, Virginia
http://photos.kusterer​s.net (external link)

ccp900
Goldmember
1,569 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 29, 2010 20:39 |  #10

i keep cr2 because sometimes we get much better dng converters down the line and i re-encode to dng...case in point when 7D came out...

[Sony A7R Mark 3 | Sony A7S | Sony Zeiss 16-35m f/4.0 | Sony FE 85m f1.8 | Sony FE 20m f1.8 G | Samyang 18m f2.8 | Samyang 45m f1.8 | Zeiss Batis 40m f2 | Sony FE 28m f2 | Sony Zeiss 55m f1.8 | Sony FE 28-70m f/3.5-5.6 | Helios 44-2 | Helios 44-3 | Nikon 105m f/2.5 AIS | Contax Zeiss Planar 50m f1.7 | Contax Zeiss Planar 100m f2 | Voigtlander Nokton 40m f/1.4 | Canon 24-105m f/4.0L | Canon 85m f/1.8 | Sigma 30m f/1.4 | Canon 10-22m f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 100m f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580 EX Ver 1.0]

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 29, 2010 21:19 |  #11

I keep all my RAW files and in my opinion its foolish not to keep them. After sorting and culling, I rename my RAW files into the format I prefer, then use the standalone converter to process them into DNG. All my RAW files are backed up on two external drives and the DNG are imported into Lightroom for processing.

The reason I keep the CR2 is simple. Raw processors are improving over time and both Camera Raw/Lightroom and DPP are still evolving. If I throwaway the original RAW files I cannot take advantage of any possible improvements, especially in DPP.

Also, I can recall several major issues with early versions of DNG. If I hadn't kept the RAW files I would have been unable to reconvert them when the issues were addressed. And given that the public isn't usually aware of problems until after they are addressed I can't see why anyone would dispose of their RAW files. Storage is cheap.

Here's what I recall:
1. An issue with losing "masked pixels" when converting to DNG. Adobe finally addressed the problem with the DNG Recover Edge app.

2. Some early versions of DNG were not fully compliant with the JPEG specifications.

3. Both versions 4.3 and 4.4 of ACR/Lightroom were faulty and were withdrawn shortly after publication. Since then Adobe has issued Release Candidates of every new version to detect and fix any problems prior to final publication. However, one can never be sure that a problem didn't slip through the cracks undetected.

itsmejson wrote in post #10444999 (external link)
for those of you who import and convert your raw files to dng into LR,
do you still keep your RAW files around or do you delete them and just work with the dng files?

I am still trying to figure out the best way to do this because having both dng, raw is beginning to take a toll on my HD space.

is it really necessary to keep the raw files once they are converted into dng?

thanks

Gear List

alann
Goldmember
2,689 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 29, 2010 21:23 |  #12

I convert to DNG and send CR2 files to a backup drive during import to LR3. That way I always have a backup of every pic I have taken.

My FLickrPage (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 29, 2010 21:30 |  #13

alann wrote in post #10450815 (external link)
I convert to DNG and send CR2 files to a backup drive during import to LR3. That way I always have a backup of every pic I have taken.

Culling the rejects is handy if you're a high volume photographer. I take maybe 30GB of images at a wedding, and cull 20G, which adds up pretty quickly.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 29, 2010 22:37 |  #14

I rename the CR2 and XMP file and then do the DNG conversion into my working directory. I keep the RAW file and work with the DNG in LR. My JPEG conversion has the same filename as the CR2 and DNG. I keep the CR2 for VERY infrequent editing in DPP and as the ultimate photo backup.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

tkoutdoor
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 01, 2010 10:29 as a reply to  @ Tom_D's post |  #15

I've embedded the RAW into the DNG in my first trial with LR3 and my 7D. The file size is quite large and since I shoot a lot of images it's not gonna be workable for me. I'd like to remove the embedded RAW from the DNG's and just keep my CR2 as my backup image copy rather than keeping it in my main library. I haven't been able to find info on this yet this morning. Do you guys know about this (removing embedded RAW from DNG) or could you point me to another thread if there's one around here somewhere explaining it.

Canon ~ 7D, 1D MkIIn, 5D, 20D, 10D, 100-400L IS, 70-200 2.8L IS, 24-105 f4L IS, 17-40 f4L, 135mm f2L, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 50mm 2.5 macro, Ext. tubes, TC's 1.4 & 2.0, Feisol 3441-S CF Tpod, Gitzo Traveler Mpod, Acratech ballhead, 550EX, 200EG bag, Epson Pro 3800 printer.

sponsored links

3,795 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you save raw files after converting to dng?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.