Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 30 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 21:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D vs. 7D for Birds?

peregrineflier
Goldmember
4,069 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 30, 2010 21:16 |  #1

Well, The sales girl had to pry the cash out of my hand, but I bought a 7D, have to retire the 40D.
Did I make a wise move?

Thanks, Tom the Peregrineflier ;) Lyle Washington
Canon 1D mk3, Canon 100-400 L, Canon 300mm f/4L IS
http://peregrineflier.​smugmug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 30, 2010 21:26 |  #2

I've had both. I think the 40D was a tie with the 1D Classic for first place in focus ability. Both better than anything else I have had. However, the 7D was no slouch once I had the custom functions set for action shooting. The 7D gives excellent quality images though. The only reason I was willing to part with it, was cause my old 'puter could not manage the huge RAW files without a rebuild and an upgrade to CS5 I could not afford at the time.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

Garry ­ Gibson
Goldmember
1,608 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 01, 2010 07:19 |  #3

Love the 7D, it has more focus points and more focus options than the 40D.

That being said, there is a lot to learn about the camera but when you get it figured out
it is fantastic.

Have fun!!

5D SR- 7D Mark II
Some assorted glass
Learning everyday... well.. maybe every other day.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 01, 2010 08:02 as a reply to  @ Garry Gibson's post |  #4

Sounds good to me, I am planning on replacing my 40D with a 7D at some point, primarily because of the advantages for birding.

To me, the advantages lie in a) more reach for distant subjects and b) the faster fps giving more chance of catching the decisive moment. You cannot time shots to get the birds wings in the most pleasing position, they simply beat too fast, it is also damn near impossible to get the bird just as it is about to touch down or launch. More shots in he burst gives more chance of a great pose with BIF.

I can't comment on the AF differences, as I have never used the 7D, but I believe it is equal to or better than the 40D (when set up correctly for the use you are putting it to).

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 01, 2010 08:25 |  #5

Just to be fair, I sold my 7D after only 2 months, because the prices on the 1D MkIII came down enough that I could afford one. Nothing wrong with the 7D, I just like the Pro body feel and I wanted 10fps burst capabilities. Image quality equals the 7D, the files are smaller though. You want to go from 6.5 to 8fps, and I went 2 more with the MkIII. And before anybody says there can't be that much difference, well, I like to call those people, wrong. ;)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

peregrineflier
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,069 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 01, 2010 08:35 |  #6

canonloader wrote in post #10459210 (external link)
Just to be fair, I sold my 7D after only 2 months, because the prices on the 1D MkIII came down enough that I could afford one. Nothing wrong with the 7D, I just like the Pro body feel and I wanted 10fps burst capabilities. Image quality equals the 7D, the files are smaller though. You want to go from 6.5 to 8fps, and I went 2 more with the MkIII. And before anybody says there can't be that much difference, well, I like to call those people, wrong. ;)

I to would like to have been abbe to get a MKlll or better yet 4, but I wanted to have my first new body, and I could not afford either of the 1D's new. But, going from a 40D I think it will be a nice inprovment. And if I ever wish, I can do video. : ) But, I will have to invest in bigger CF cards, my 16 gig in lg Raw, won't get me through a long day, good thing I have two. : )

Thanks, Tom the Peregrineflier ;) Lyle Washington
Canon 1D mk3, Canon 100-400 L, Canon 300mm f/4L IS
http://peregrineflier.​smugmug.com/ (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 01, 2010 08:38 |  #7

canonloader wrote in post #10459210 (external link)

Yeah, the 10fps is nice. I had a 1D III for a short period however, after trying it out, I decided that the difference it was making to my results wasn't worth the £3,000 it cost. It's not that I didn't like the camera, I did, but I figured that the money could be better spent. The 1D went back and was replaced by a 300 f/2.8L which has become a great part of my armoury (combined with 1.4x and 2x TCs) and has made more of a difference than the 1D.

I would like another 1D III, and will likely get one once they become cheap enough on the used market, but would still want a 7D for birding because of the extra reach (I can't afford a 500 or 600mm L lens). I can sacrifice 1.5fps in order to have the reach to get more distant targets.

Ideally, a combo of 7D and 1D III would cover the best of all worlds, but that will take some time to come together.

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 01, 2010 08:49 |  #8

My big reason for selling the 7D was the huge files and I would have needed to rebuild my computer and buy CS5 to edit them. I figured I could go back to the smaller MkIII files and hold out till I could afford to rebuild. That's coming soon now. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

Gator ­ Stealth
Goldmember
2,395 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 01, 2010 08:50 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #9

I guess I like the 7D ok enough, I bought a second one. :D

Seriously though it is a significant improvement for BIF shots over the 30D which we also have.

Phil
Birds and Alligators
New Post Daily
http://phillanoue.com (external link)

Roy ­ C
Goldmember
2,088 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 01, 2010 09:24 |  #10

My 40D is at home gathering dust since I bought the 7D - I should sell the 40D I suppose as I will never use it again whilst I have the 7D.

TOP BIRD SHOTS (external link)
MY PHOTOSTREAM (external link)

500px gallery (external link)

WingsofFury
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 01, 2010 11:29 |  #11

And if anyone is looking for a buyer in North America for their 40D, please slip me a note...I really want one! :)

Attila P.

popeshawnpaul
104 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 01, 2010 11:51 |  #12

The big difference is you can crop the 7D much more than I ever could on my 4D and retain image quality. It's not a perfect camera but better than the 40D.

www.shawnmccully.com (external link)

Thomas ­ Hopkins
379 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 01, 2010 14:11 |  #13

I recently sold my 40D to justify my 7D purchase..

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10391494#po​st10391494

Thomas ­ Hopkins
379 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 01, 2010 14:14 |  #14

er wait maybe I sold it to justify my 35L purchase. Oh hell, I can't remember what I told my wife.

Anyway, I loved the 40D. It's a great camera. So far I'm loving the 7D even more though.

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10391494#po​st10391494

bettyn
Goldmember
3,448 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 01, 2010 14:22 |  #15

There's a steep learning curve for the 7D if you're moving up from a Rebel. (I'm slowly learning all this camera's functions.) Maybe not so much from a 40D. The 7D gives you some terrific photos once you start getting used to it. I'm sure I'll do even better with it in the future as I gain more knowledge of this camera and photography in general.

My Gear: 6D, 7D, EOS-M w EF-M 22 f2 STM and EF-M 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM, 17-40L f4, 24-70L f2.8, 100 f2.8 non-IS macro, 70-200L f/4 IS, 400L f5.6,, Canon 1.4x II TC, Canon Speedlite 430 EX II, Better Beamer. Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod, 2 monopods, Manfrotto ballhead and pistol grip tripod heads.

sponsored links

2,422 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D vs. 7D for Birds?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.