Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 18:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Go L or stick with Tamron

imsilly2
233 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 01, 2010 18:19 |  #1

I'm thinking, and pretty sure, of upgrading from a 30D to a 5D II. I owe the Tammy 28-70/2.8. Aside from design quibbles and a slower focus, would the 24-70L offer so much more in IQ to justify it's purchase.

Don't blame the gear, it only does what I tell it to. :D

sponsored links
Austin.Manny
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 01, 2010 18:23 |  #2

Probably not, but man is it a hell of a lens. :D

450D Gripped | Σ 30 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 18-55 IS
LumoPro LP180 | Yongnuo YN-460 |
RF-602

Flickr (external link)

emdzey01
349 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 01, 2010 18:34 |  #3

IQ, maybe not much. but focusing speed/sound, yes.

my name is mjay.

Click for my transactions as a seller on POTN

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,262 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 01, 2010 20:15 as a reply to  @ emdzey01's post |  #4

I am assuming that you are talking about the 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron. Since you already own this lens, why not try it on your new full frame camera and see how it performs. If it meets your needs, then you have saved yourself over a grand. If it doesn't meet your needs, then investigate the 24-70L. You might try renting the lens and see how you like it. It appears that rentglass.com will rent a 24-70L for $46.00 per week. Rent one and shoot the heck out of it shoulder to shoulder with the 28-75mm Tammy - then make your definitive selection.

I own the 24-70L which I use primarily for studio work and have shot with a friends Tammy. If you switch to the 24-70L there are several things you will notice right off the bat:

Focal range:
Either lens on a 5D will give you a much wider field of view at the short end but, neither lens will seem as long at the telephoto end. The 24-70L will give you a really wide view but, 70mm on a F/F camera is not very long. If you can estimate about 43mm on your Tamron using your present 1.6x camera, that is about the field of view with the 70mm on a F/F. That is really not very long. While 70mm or so is a very nice portrait focal length on a 1.6x camera, IMO, it is not long enough on a full-frame camera for good head and shoulders portraiture. On a 1.6x camera, the extra 4mm at the wide end is quite important.

Weight:
The 24-70L is called the "BRICK" for a good reason. It is a lot bigger and a lot heavier than your present Tammy. The 24-70L weighs almost a pound MORE than the Tammy. This may impact its usefulness or perhaps not.

You might or might not notice faster and more accurate auto-focus (however AF of the Tammy should improve on the full frame camera) and you might also notice improvement in IQ. However, whether any of the above factors will make the 24-70L worth its price is totally up to you.

BTW: have you considered the 24-105mm f/4L IS lens. I would like that focal length better for a full frame camera and the IS and increased ISO capability of the 5D would compensate for the one f/stop slower performance.

What do I do? I stick with 1.6x and shoot with the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens for most away from the studio shooting and use the 24-70L for studio work. ! I just love the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens which is one reason I am sticking with the 1.6x system. A new 7D is just somewhere over the horizon to replace my 30D. However, if I were shooting weddings professionally again, I would definitely consider full frame.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 01, 2010 22:02 |  #5

Played with a 24-70 the other day, didn't greatly impress me compared to my 28-75. Personally I was even a little shocked at the build quality, I thought it would be miles better than it actually was the way people go on about it. I do think the hood/zoom design is awesome though.

Given you already own the Tamron I think you should hang onto it and see if it performs up to your expectations with the 5DII.

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 02, 2010 03:42 |  #6

I would canon. You'll notice a lot of bad things about lenses with a 5d mark II. Way too many megapixels.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 02, 2010 06:11 |  #7

SiaoP wrote in post #10465041 (external link)
I would canon. You'll notice a lot of bad things about lenses with a 5d mark II. Way too many megapixels.

I think not. Same pixel density as a 20D, as it turns out. it's just the corners you'll have to worry about.

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 02, 2010 06:22 |  #8

Can you elaborate on how those bad things are more of an issue with the Tamron?

Roy

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 02, 2010 06:26 |  #9

I would go with the L if you can find it for a good price as part of a 5Dii kit. Otherwise, wait until you try the 28-75 on the 5Dii to make a decision.

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 02, 2010 07:01 |  #10

I had both, L had more speed, better colors. Tamron, had better sharpness, and MUCH lighter weight and size.

-Andy-

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 02, 2010 07:08 |  #11

Try the 28-75 on the 5DII, then decide.

I've kept mine through a 40D/5D/5DII.

The Canon doesn't tempt me.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 02, 2010 08:02 |  #12

phreeky wrote in post #10465300 (external link)
I think not. Same pixel density as a 20D, as it turns out. it's just the corners you'll have to worry about.

rvdw98 wrote in post #10465317 (external link)
Can you elaborate on how those bad things are more of an issue with the Tamron?

it's not the number of pixels or pixel density that brings out the bad in a lens.

it is sensor size, no matter how many pixels are on a FF sensor, the FF sensor will always let you know what is bad about your lens.

This is because the FF sensor uses all the area of the lens, including the weaker fringe areas that a Crop Sensor never sees. The Crop Sensor pick from the center of the lens and more or less cannot get to the edges.

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 02, 2010 08:23 |  #13

Is that Tamron built for a FF sensor? It should have an EF mount - but will the lens project onto a FF sensor?

(the 17-50 doesn't)

On that note - the best way to upgrade to the 24-70 if you do is as a kit with the MK II - unless you want to buy it used somewhere.

28-75 (75!) review...
http://www.the-digital-picture.com ….8-XR-Di-Lens-Review.aspx (external link)
Not sure if there is a 28-70 ...)

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 02, 2010 08:24 |  #14

DetlevCM wrote in post #10465753 (external link)
Is that Tamron built for a FF sensor? It should have an EF mount - but will the lens project onto a FF sensor?

Yes.

Roy

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 02, 2010 08:28 |  #15

imsilly2 wrote in post #10462711 (external link)
I'm thinking, and pretty sure, of upgrading from a 30D to a 5D II. I owe the Tammy 28-70/2.8. Aside from design quibbles and a slower focus, would the 24-70L offer so much more in IQ to justify it's purchase.

All I can say is that my 24-70L is outrageously sharp on the 5D2. It is a great combination.

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,807 views & 0 likes for this thread
Go L or stick with Tamron
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.