Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Jul 2010 (Friday) 08:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

diopter adjustment

USER876
Goldmember
1,616 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 02, 2010 08:13 |  #1

On my 40d this keeps needing adjustment. I change lenses often, and sometimes when I put a lens back on, i have to adjust this as the viewfinder is blury. Is this normal? I thought this was more a set it once type thing.

sponsored links
pknight
Goldmember
2,675 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 02, 2010 08:17 |  #2

I suspect that you are bumping the dial and changing the adjustment. It should be a "set and forget" adjustment, independent of what lens you are using. If you are not accidently changing the adjustment, then the diopter adjustment dial needs fixing.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

broadcast_techie
180 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 02, 2010 08:26 |  #3

The diopter will adjust the focus of the eyepiece to the focus screen. Unless your eyes are changing this should not need to be re-set. Changing the lens should have no affect on this.
When setting the diopter ignore the image and concentrate on getting the text in focus.
One theory might be you are knocking the adjustment whilst changing lens. I have noticed this sometimes when walking about, but not often.
Another thought is that you may be straining your eyes by not having it set right in the first place and after a day of looking through the viewfinder your eyes are getting tired and unable to correct anymore. (My eyesight can vary dramatically throughout the day as I get tired, much to the annoyance of opticians!)

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 02, 2010 08:33 as a reply to  @ pknight's post |  #4

I agree with both pknight and broadcast_techie. On my cameras it is rather hard to turn the adjustment dials without removing the rubber eye cups first. If you are by chance accidentally bumping it when changing lenses, an eyepiece extender can help. I have an extender on my XTi in which I removed the lenses to prevent the negative magnification that the extender lenses cause. Using an extender also took care of the problem of the eyepiece cups falling off. The tiny screws on the extender can be adjusted to give a nice snug fit on the camera body to eliminate slipping. If you do this mod to an extender, you will need to get a size 0 (zero) Phillips screwdriver.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 02, 2010 09:20 |  #5

Bill Boehme wrote in post #10465787 (external link)
I agree with both pknight and broadcast_techie. On my cameras it is rather hard to turn the adjustment dials without removing the rubber eye cups first. If you are by chance accidentally bumping it when changing lenses, an eyepiece extender can help. I have an extender on my XTi in which I removed the lenses to prevent the negative magnification that the extender lenses cause. Using an extender also took care of the problem of the eyepiece cups falling off. The tiny screws on the extender can be adjusted to give a nice snug fit on the camera body to eliminate slipping. If you do this mod to an extender, you will need to get a size 0 (zero) Phillips screwdriver.

I personally find the little wheel easy to turn on the 5D MK II and the 400D before that...

But as other's have said, its a set once and forget setting - unless you actually touch that little wheel it shouldn't change.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

IVIax
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 02, 2010 11:34 |  #6

USER876 wrote in post #10465711 (external link)
On my 40d this keeps needing adjustment. I change lenses often, and sometimes when I put a lens back on, i have to adjust this as the viewfinder is blury. Is this normal? I thought this was more a set it once type thing.

Is this before or after you focus the lens on something?

-Max
"Bad artists copy. Good artists steal." Picasso

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 02, 2010 11:47 |  #7

To be clear is the setting on the adjustment wheel changing (ie. you are bumping it) or is it going out of adjustment but the adjustment wheel looks to be in the same position? To adjust it properly turn it until the autofocus marks look clear (just to be sure you are setting it correctly in the first place). The adjustment wheel should have definite clicks.

sponsored links

2,955 views & 0 likes for this thread
diopter adjustment
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.