Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 21:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Training Videos 5D Mk II & 580 Speedlite

drdimento
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 01, 2010 21:39 |  #1

OK, so after years (I mean decades really) of being 100% Nikon, I've switched to the Canon EOS 5D Mk II and so far love the camera but I need to get up to speed and need a good, reasonably priced, training video. Also, purchased a 580 Speedlite.

Would love to be pointed to one or two good training videos and/or user guides/manuals that are relatively easy to understand and use for both the camera and speedlite.

Thanks in advance for the kind help.

sponsored links
bmwm3csl
78 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 01, 2010 23:16 |  #2

Check these out....

http://www.bluecranedi​gital.com/5DMarkII.htm (external link)
http://www.bluecranedi​gital.com/5D_50D.htm (external link)
http://www.bluecranedi​gital.com/580EXII.htm (external link)

promocop
223 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 01, 2010 23:31 as a reply to  @ bmwm3csl's post |  #3

Right. $25.00 for an app. Please!!!

robbug
212 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 02, 2010 01:24 as a reply to  @ promocop's post |  #4

probably have already seen this but just in case:

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

Refractive Photos (external link)
Stuff that gets me the exposure
When asked if there were too many people taking pictures today, Elliot Erwitt replied, "All you need is a pencil and a piece of paper to write a novel, don't you?"

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 02, 2010 06:17 |  #5

Not sure why you need a training video - all your information is in the manual :)
And if you come from a Nikon, things like metering and f-stops don't really change.

Just play with it :) I think that would gain you more and ask here on POTN if you have a problem.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 02, 2010 07:48 |  #6

drdimento wrote in post #10463650 (external link)
OK, so after years (I mean decades really) of being 100% Nikon, I've switched to the Canon EOS 5D Mk II and so far love the camera but I need to get up to speed and need a good, reasonably priced, training video. Also, purchased a 580 Speedlite.

Would love to be pointed to one or two good training videos and/or user guides/manuals that are relatively easy to understand and use for both the camera and speedlite.

Thanks in advance for the kind help.

Shouldn't be too much of a learning curve going from Nikon to Canon in regards to the speedlite/speedlight :)

Basically, depending if you're in Av mode, the camera will ignore the fact that you have flash and set a shutter speed appropriate for the ambient light (unless you set a custom function to restrict the shutter speed to 1/60-1/200 if I recall) If you're in Manual, well you have all the control.

Other than that, you can set FEC if you're in ETTL, or just go Manual on the flash.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 02, 2010 07:49 |  #7

DetlevCM wrote in post #10465311 (external link)
Not sure why you need a training video - all your information is in the manual :)
And if you come from a Nikon, things like metering and f-stops don't really change.

Just play with it :) I think that would gain you more and ask here on POTN if you have a problem.

Ditto. There wasn't much of a learning curve going from a Pentax K10D/540 flash to a 40D/580EXII. Just had to remember which button/dial set ISO, f/stop, and shutter speed and I was golden!

drdimento
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 02, 2010 10:31 |  #8

Thanks to all. I did spend some goofing off time with the camera and enjoying it immensley. I really like the images with this nice glass it came with. I'm going to add a couple primes I think (10 or so, 50 or 85 or 100 [all f1.2 to f1.8] or a combination thereof) definitely the 70-200 IS USB f2.8 (ouch expensive) and maybe a 300 or so prime. i like this camera so far and have already shot some movie stuff which is part of what sent me to a canon. As a full time videographer who added photographer 2 years ago, I like having this one camera replace the necessity to have two different shooting style cameras. Coupled with the T2i I think I will have a wonderful experience.

Now if I could just find a USA sold "GlideTrack" at similar or reasonable pricing . . (http://www.glidetrack.​com/products (external link)) I'd be in sweetness.

I really like how the Speedlite is mounted how solid it is on the camera instead of the "wiggle" effect of the nikon flash. wow. that's a sweetspot with me. the nikon always felt like it was going to break off or that it was supplied by a 3rd party vendor and didn't have the exact right mount.

I picked up a small easy read book from magiclantern yesterday from B&N and think with that and the help from you all so far, and may just meet a local near Pittsburgh PA or Youngstown OH and go from there instead of the vid.

Thanks again and wow, what a camera . . image. Yowee!!

sponsored links

1,560 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Training Videos 5D Mk II & 580 Speedlite
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.