Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Jul 2010 (Friday) 09:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 1st SLR - Help Please!

Ashley8053
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 02, 2010 09:18 |  #1

Hi Everyone!

I have been a point and shoot user all my life and I want to try out some more serious photography, particularly because next year I will be going to Alaska and I want to take some good pictures while I am there.

I recently came across someone selling a 3-4 year old Canon Rebel XT with the stock EFS 18-55mm lens, an Ultrasonic 28-135mm IS lens, a 75-300mm lens, and 2 different bags. He is asking $600 for everything.

I know lenses can be expensive, so I liked that I could start off with 3 different lenses right away (Although, I'll be honest, I don't know how good these lenses do or what they will do exactly!) I also know the Rebel XT is the older version of this camera, but again, I am COMPLETELY new to SLRs so I'll be taking some classes and starting from scratch.

Do you think this is good deal for my first DSLR?

Any advice would be helpful, Thanks so much everyone!

- Complete SLR Newbie :)

sponsored links
mplezia
429 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 02, 2010 09:46 |  #2

Buying new, the camera and lenses would probably run you a little over $1,000. So, from that perspective it's not a bad deal at all. If it all is in good condition, that's not a bad way to get started with an SLR and you will be perfectly able to take good pictures with that set-up. Actually, it's much more than you need, but for the price it's a good deal.

Canon 60D | Canon 500D | Canon 430EX II | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM 'A' | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,277 posts
Gallery: 299 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 02, 2010 09:49 |  #3

The XT is worth maybe $250, the kit lens $50, The 28-135 around $250, the 75-300 can be found for $125 or so (not that you would really want one if it wasnt part of the kit). So its about its used value.

napolar
260 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 02, 2010 09:57 |  #4

$600 looks like a fair price to both the seller and the buyer. Take a look at the condition of every piece and if they all function then go for it and get out and start taking pictures

Art
5D MKIII
16 - 35 L 24 - 105 L
70 - 200 F4 L 100 - 400 L
P.O.T.N Op-Tech Strap

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,287 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 02, 2010 09:58 |  #5

$600 sounds like a fair price for all the gear. Maybe offer $550 and see if he'll budge on price.

To get yourself started there is lots of good reading material here on POTN. Might start with the following threads to get you started.

Great primer
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=414088
Lots of tips and tricks.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=52418
The basics of lenses.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=249006
More lens stuff
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=86975

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,287 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 02, 2010 09:59 |  #6

BTW.. Noticed that this was your first post. Welcome to the forum. Kick your feet up and stick around for a while.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Ashley8053
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 02, 2010 10:04 |  #7

Thanks Everyone, Your opinions are highly valued! Like I said, I am completely new to this so you have all helped me a lot and made me rest easier on my (more-than likely) decision to get it. I'm a big traveler and want to take pictures of landscapes and buildings, and from what I've seen and heard, this will be good for me to start on.

napolar - I will be taking my no-nonsense Father along, who was big into photography before cameras went digital, to take a look at everything and make sure it is in the good condition I was told it was, Thanks for the tip! :)

Ashley8053
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 02, 2010 10:05 |  #8

Thanks for the welcome and reading material gjl711! I've been looking for good, helpful articles to start me off. (I have SO many questions, haha)

I don't think I'll be going anywhere, I'm always interested in conversation on my interests, so this will be great as I take on this new hobby :)

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 02, 2010 10:10 |  #9

Welcome! The XT will do fine as your first camera; I just upgraded from mine a few months back after several years of use. Here's a sample shot from the XT and 28-135 lens, for what it's worth (which may not be much): https://photography-on-the.net …?p=10462970&pos​tcount=958

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

dipps
538 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 02, 2010 10:15 |  #10

Ashley8053 wrote in post #10465991 (external link)
(Although, I'll be honest, I don't know how good these lenses do or what they will do exactly!)

75-300mm
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …-III-USM-Lens-Review.aspx (external link)

28-135mm
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …6-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx (external link)

make sure you know how to operate the dslr prior to going on your trip, or you could wind up sorely disappointed. opinions vary, but i like "understanding exposure" as a "starting out" type of book. discusses the topics, and shows sample images along with aperture, ISO, shutter speed information, which i found helpful when i was starting out.

5DIII, 7D, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 24-105 f/4L, 40 f/2.8, 135 f/2L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L macro, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 430EX II, POWERSHOT S95.... i'm your huckleberry.

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

Ashley8053
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 02, 2010 10:19 |  #11

Thanks stsva, Very nice picture! It's seeing those great shots that inspired me to get into this :)

Thanks for the reviews dipps - And yes, I plan to be very comfortable with the camera and functionality before the trip. I am actually going to take Beginner Canon SLR lessons at a local camera shop, and then take some community college classes on "Digital Photography for Travel". I'm a planner, what can I say? lol

And good news to share - I just talked to the seller and he agreed to sell it for $550! Thanks for that suggestion gjl711!

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 02, 2010 10:38 as a reply to  @ Ashley8053's post |  #12

I don't think it's a good package, to be frank. You can get a used XTI (less than $300) + 18-55mm IS ($100) + 55-250mm IS ($200) for the same price, and it would be a vastly superior setup.

gte357s
489 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 02, 2010 10:39 as a reply to  @ Ashley8053's post |  #13

Well ... OP, you posted your last reply in 14 mins, I will still give my opinion.

Even though the price sounds right, I won't buy it if I were you. First of all, as a beginner, you don't know what lenses you want. The 3 lenses in this deal are just so-so. And the range overlaps alot. You may find yourself never need those lenses, then why would you buy it in the first place?

And I won't take the class. There is nothing you can't learn by yourself. Just read the manual and try out different functions.

If I were you, I will buy a camera with 1 kit lens. then play around, and you will learn what lenses you need. And you can spend the money to buy a newer body, like the XS or XSi.

Just my opinion.

Canon 5D MK I | Canon 24-70 F2.8 L | Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS I | Sigma 85 F1.4 | Tamron 1.4x TC | Canon 430 EXII

Ashley8053
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 02, 2010 10:54 |  #14

Hmm, Got some things to consider now. Thanks ingraman & gte357s, I appreciate everyone's opinion and I think you both have pretty valid points. I really appreciate the opinion about not taking a class, I will definitely read everything and try it out myself first.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 02, 2010 10:57 |  #15

ingraman wrote in post #10466397 (external link)
I don't think it's a good package, to be frank. You can get a used XTI (less than $300) + 18-55mm IS ($100) + 55-250mm IS ($200) for the same price, and it would be a vastly superior setup.

This is my suggestion as well. If you were starting from scratch, you would not get the combination that you are looking at, but you would, for a budget, be likely to get this combination. You wouldn't get the bags and any extras, but you would cover a nice range with only two lenses and get the newer technology in the newer IS and these lenses do not have a bad reputation. You could do a lot of shooting with this kit before you feel a real need for something else.

But you will need a good bag, and for travel shooting you will want to look at a decent tripod.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

2,063 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 1st SLR - Help Please!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.