Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 Jun 2010 (Monday) 17:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what do you guys think of transcend & adata CF cards ?

picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 28, 2010 17:39 |  #1

Are they fast enough ?

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,121 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 28, 2010 17:41 |  #2

Adata I don't know.... Transcends been around for a long time now..

Of the "off brands" I prefer Ri-Data, but I do own a lot of Transcend cards too.

Both Transcend and Ri-Data make cards in various speeds from dog slow to very fast,..

There have been times when both have had fast cards that rival the fastest Sandisks and Lexars,. but the slow ones are REALLY slow.

“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

bfinta
855 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 28, 2010 17:52 |  #3

I have a adate 32gb 533x card and it works just fine... Whether its as fast as the advertised speed I can't confirm, but it doesn't lag when doing videos

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 28, 2010 18:36 |  #4

I'll stay away from Ri-data.

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #10442886 (external link)
Adata I don't know.... Transcends been around for a long time now..

Of the "off brands" I prefer Ri-Data, but I do own a lot of Transcend cards too.

Both Transcend and Ri-Data make cards in various speeds from dog slow to very fast,..

There have been times when both have had fast cards that rival the fastest Sandisks and Lexars,. but the slow ones are REALLY slow.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

bfinta
855 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 28, 2010 18:38 |  #5

also Adata is a computer memory manufacturer, i've had their ram in my computers for years without problems... i cant imagine you having any issues with their CF cards

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 28, 2010 21:14 |  #6

I have been using Transcend cards almost exlusively for the last couple of years. About 20k's worth of RAW files. I recently bought a couple of the new Sandisk cards because I could get them cheaper. I have no hesitation recommending Transcend. I have cards from 133x to 400x.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 28, 2010 21:21 |  #7

I've been using the Transcend cards for 6 or 7 years now. And have no problems recommending them to people. With about 17 cards of various sizes and speeds, in 4 differnt bodies, to date I have never had a problem. Several of my friends are using them as well. A couple of us just upgraded to the 7D and ordered the 64G 400X cards to go with them. For the price, they are a steal when compared to the equivalent SANDISK cards. And Ironically SANDISK are the only cards I have ever had a failure with.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

jaredgomez
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 29, 2010 11:56 |  #8

I have had an A-data cf card for 5 years now. Bought it in Japan with the 400d when it was first introduced. The card is a solid performer. No problems no mishaps whatsoever.

kja
Cream of the Crop
5,923 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 29, 2010 17:37 |  #9

+1 for great results with Transcend. No problems at all and I've gotten some very good deals on them, so that's always nice :)

Kristin

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 02, 2010 21:32 |  #10

My Transcend class 10 cards tested 1 megabyte/second higher than my sandisk class 10 SDHC cards. They are a "trusted manufacturer" to me.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

Shellback
119 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 02, 2010 22:58 |  #11

I have several Transcend cards, both CF and SD, never a problem. In fact I just bought another. I've had two Lexars fail on me, one shortly after buying it (replaced free by Lexar I'll add) and one after a couple of years of only occasional use. I have no problems recommending Transcend.

Somewhere between Woebegone and Faraway.

ilikeglass
74 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 05, 2010 00:45 |  #12

The last CF card I got was the Transend 16GB 400x. Works great with my 5d II.

See - http://www.robgalbrait​h.com/bins/multi_page.​asp?cid=6007 (external link)

5D II and 5D III
50mm f1.8 Mk I~85 f1.8~17-40L~Canon 70-200L~430 exII

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 05, 2010 05:39 |  #13

I've been using 2 X Transcend 32GB 133X cards for over 18 months in my 50D, 7D, 1D3, 5D2 and never had a hitch whether taking photographs or shooting video.

I have a Transcend 16GB Class 6 SD card in my 1D3 and an 8GB card in my compact. No problems with any of them.

LotsToLearn
Goldmember
2,290 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 05, 2010 07:39 |  #14

I have a couple of each brand but they're older versions and not modern speed demons... but realiability wise I've never had any problems with either brand. Because of that, I will be buying their fast versions as my next cards though as they're so much more affordable than Sandisk.

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 05, 2010 22:40 |  #15

has anyone dealt w/ warranty issues w/ transcend?

Sandisk Elites (or maybe extremes and up?) have what seem to be a very good minimal questions asked warranty exchange. My boss got swapped just like that. Granted, you don't want to have to deal with it, it's bound to happened eventually. Also, sandisk comes w/ some nifty recovery software I've used to help some folks retrieve stuff.

now, with that said, I only buy sandisks when massive rebates are active =) I have some transcend's for my GF1, and my brother has for his GH1 as well. No problems so far. I plan on picking up an 8GB CF card later though, and maybe a 16GB card for my old ipod mini

sponsored links

4,905 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.