Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 07:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma EF-530 DG Canon Super Flash E-ETTL

photome09
92 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 03, 2010 07:37 |  #1

Hi, there folks.

I am new to this forum & a novice in photography.

Was wondering if you could share your input about the Sigma Flash EF-530 DG for Canon. I am looking into getting a flash & the Canon Speedlite 580 EX II is quite expensive.

Will the Sigma EF-530 do its job or be comparable with Canon's 580 EX II?

Would you recommend to just wait & save some more money until I can afford the 580 EX II than buy the Sigma flash?

Any inputs, much appreciated.

sponsored links
lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 03, 2010 08:15 |  #2

I have a Sigma EF-500 DG Super and I also have the 580EX II. They are both quite powerful (the 530 would be in between the two). I would go for the "Super" model of the Sigma rather than the "ST" version as the Super can work with the Canon wireless E-TTL system. The build quality of the 580EX II is definitely better. It feel more solid in my hands, but I think that the Sigma is built just fine. My Sigma has taken a fall or two and still works just fine. As Canon introduces new bodies, there is a risk that the Sigma may have compatibility problems down the road. My EF-500 DG Super works just fine, but I have heard that the early units of the same line (which are now getting reasonably old) had issues with the 50D (IIRC). Sigma, I believe, will rechip a flash for free to update compatibility while it is still considered a current model. The EF-500's are not still considered current, so I may be stuck using my flash off-camera if I ever run into a future body that has compatibility problems. For me, that shouldn't be too big of a problem as I primarily use my Sigma as backup in case the 580EX II fails and for a second, off-camera flash. I don't know if this helps, but these are my own experiences...

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

ImRaptor
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 03, 2010 15:06 |  #3

Two different classes of flashes in my opinion.
I've got a couple of the Sigma DG Super series flashes and they have been quite good, but they aren't quite as good as the 580 ex ii.
Of course you can buy 2 of the EF-530 DG Super flash for the price of 1 580 ex ii. For me I'd rather have a multi flash setup than a single flash setup.

http://imraptor.devian​tart.com/ (external link)
Why yes, I am a jerk. Thank you for asking.

pellepiano
520 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 03, 2010 16:36 |  #4

I have the previous model the 500 Super. I like it a lot. I also use Vivitar 285HV and a old Canon 430EZ. I use them all ( non TTL ) with a Cactus radio transmitter and set the output manually, which works just fine. I like to use the radio transmitter as I can then use Nikon flash or Canon, does not matter as much. Opens up bargain possibilities, buying used flash guns.

The Super models has more levels of output, from full to 1/128. They also have a built in slave sensor, and a stoboscopic mode.

- Pelle Piano
// Websitei
www.pellepiano.com (external link)
// My Invented Gallery Site, for all my alias
Gallery Browalls (external link)

photome09
THREAD ­ STARTER
92 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 04, 2010 08:09 as a reply to  @ pellepiano's post |  #5

Thnx for your input, folks. I will still weigh things further...I recently upgraded from my Xsi body to 7D....never bought a flash ever since, always depended on the built flash & ISO settings of the Xsi. I am now thinking of getting a flash for my 7D, but not really at that point, meaning, not yet at that lesson to learn, but wanted to have a flash when I get there soon....geez, this hobby is really expensive :roll:

digadv
427 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 07, 2010 21:50 |  #6

I would suggest you stick with the 580 if you shoot mainly in ETTL. If you shoot in manual, there are many more inexpensive options. I was in your position a couple of years ago and went with the Sigma 530 Super. Wishing now that I went with the Canon.

ImRaptor
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 08, 2010 08:48 |  #7

digadv wrote in post #10496374 (external link)
I would suggest you stick with the 580 if you shoot mainly in ETTL. Wishing now that I went with the Canon.

Why exactly?
ETTL metering is done by the camera and just tells the flash what to do.

http://imraptor.devian​tart.com/ (external link)
Why yes, I am a jerk. Thank you for asking.

digadv
427 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 08, 2010 10:32 |  #8

I've experienced inconsistent results with ETTL and I've tried two copies of the Sigma. The first copy was absolutely horrible and overexposed every shot by at least 2 stops. Returned it to the factory to have it completely replaced with my current copy.

As you probably know, there is a preflash that the camera measures for exposure then the actual flash itself. Although the camera is controlling the flash, if the flash is not able to consistently produce the cameras command, there is a problem. Hence my advice to stick with the Canon, which from my experience produces more consistent results.

jdouglas003
392 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 08, 2010 13:12 |  #9

I have two 500 DG Supers (one since 2005), my biggest complaint is the battery compartment. The door thing just comes off sometimes. On one of them I always have to re-seat the batteries because the flash won't come on.

As for the ETTL it's not that great, but I rented a Canon 550 I think and it wasn't that great either.

http://www.movingexpos​ure.com (external link)
Portrait, Event, Sports Phtography (external link)

sponsored links

4,264 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma EF-530 DG Canon Super Flash E-ETTL
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.