Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 16:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G11 Best aperture for landscape ?

peejayw
45 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 03, 2010 16:24 |  #1

I know that small aperture will give greatest DOF but I recall reading somewhere that small apertures on small sensors can give problems.
I will shortly be spending 5 days on a once-in-a-lifetime trip and I want to record the scenery to the best of my ability :). The shots will include foreground (other people) and distant background (mountain ranges !) and hopefully some stunning scenery in between.
So, is there a "sweet spot" in terms of aperture, focal length and focus that I should look at using?
Many thanks.

Canon 650D | Sigma 18-250mm Macro HSM | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 100mm Macro 2.8 USM | Yongnuo 568 EX

sponsored links
Peterm1_Canon
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 04, 2010 04:17 |  #2

Its not so much the small apertures on small sensors per se, its more that the lenses designed for small sensors tend to be physically smaller - which means that so is the physical size of the aperture at every setting. For this reason many small sensor cameras have a minimum aperture size of f8. (smaller apertures tend to produce less sharp images due to diffraction as I guess you know from your question.)

DOF is a function of physical size of the aperture so in a camera like the G11 larger apertures (e.g. f5.6) may do the job for you although in a 35mm format camera I would normally use f 8 at least. You can also maximise DOF by using hyperfocal focusing - so instead of focusing at infinity you focus at a closer distance such that everything from around half that distance to infinity is sharp. As your lenses are not marked for this you have to guess however and use trial and error.

Rankinia
449 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 04, 2010 05:15 |  #3

Many smaller cameras are optimised for their wide open aperture.

1ds, 30d, 17-40/4 180/3.5, mt-24, 580ex2
http://adamrose.wordpr​ess.com (external link)

David_S
201 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 04, 2010 07:25 as a reply to  @ Rankinia's post |  #4

I don't have a G11 (yet ;)) but I would suggest you go out and take some shots and see what settings work the best for you to get the desired results. As already stated though compact cameras have a pretty large dof so it's probably not going too matter much. There may be an aperture setting that yields sharper images. I know on dslr lenses this is true but am not sure about compacts. You may even find the landscape scene mode works for you which would make things easy.

http://davidsprague.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)

h14nha
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 04, 2010 17:53 |  #5

Hi Peejayw,
Somewhere, I'm not sure where, I read the sweet spot on the G11 is F4.0 to F4.5.
I do shoot at these apertures, but, if I was you, and time permits, then I would take several shots at each location at differing apertures anyway.
This is what I do when I shoot waterfalls at several shutter speeds, as often when I get home and upload my pictures, the one I thought was a sure fire winner turns out to be a dud when viewed on a large monitor.

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

bkdc
888 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 04, 2010 17:54 as a reply to  @ h14nha's post |  #6

f8 - which is the minimum aperture.

RF 24-70 f/4L IS | RF 50L | EF 35L II | EF 40 f/2.8 pancake | EF 85 f/1.4L IS | EF 100L IS Macro | 600EX-RT x 3

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 04, 2010 17:57 |  #7

If you're thinking of diffraction; it usually occurs on very small apertures
http://www.cambridgein​colour.com …ffraction-photography.htm (external link)

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 04, 2010 20:22 |  #8

I've always thought in the f4.5 to 5.6 range and I've read that. I know the engineers will say it doesn't work that way but apparently someone working for Canon informed a friend of mine that the f8 on her G10 was equivalent to f64 on a full frame camera, I do know the things have amazing depth of field and why I love them for close up flower work when shooting fairly wide angle, the combination of the two can be amazing.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 05, 2010 22:07 |  #9

Rankinia wrote in post #10474604 (external link)
Many smaller cameras are optimised for their wide open aperture.

FWIW, I find this true with my SD960IS. It's sharpest at f/2.8 (widest)....Nice Blog BTW

sponsored links

6,851 views & 0 likes for this thread
G11 Best aperture for landscape ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.