Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 05 Jul 2010 (Monday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I am done with my 7D... PS suggestions PLEASE

MrLA
727 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 05, 2010 16:03 |  #16

i'm thinking of ditching dslr and get a fuji hs 10.

Body: Canon 5Dc, (Coming soon <<<6Dc, maybe I shall wait for 6Diic with TouchScreen!).
Other Favorite Camera:
Flash: YN560
Lenses: change all the time!

sponsored links
ScootersDaddy
398 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 05, 2010 16:07 |  #17

I bought an S90 recently and it is outrageously nice. Love this little camera! I'm still learning all the controls on it but it's amazing what you can do with it. More pocketable and on par with my also excellent Leica D-Lux 4 and much cheaper.

Also, this past week I picked up a Panasonic GF-1 with the superb 20mm f1.7 pancake lens. I'm in love with this thing too. Similar to it's little brother, the D-Lux 4 (panny makes it for Leica) so I'm already generally familiar with the menus and functions. I'm looking forward to checking out some of the other available m4/3 lenses and with adaptor rings you can even use Canon, Leica and many other brands of lenses. I can't wait to throw my Lensbabies on this for an ultra light special effects kit.

I can't get over these wonderful new choices that we have. This is an exciting time to be a camera enthusiast.

--Peter
Bodies may come and go but L glass is forever.
PhotoBlog (external link) Gear List

corndog ­ cabernet
369 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 05, 2010 16:22 as a reply to  @ ScootersDaddy's post |  #18

Though I have an S90 and think it's pretty good and maybe THE best pocket camera, I'd go straight to M4/3. They have some very cool lenses for these cameras and the IQ will be FAR better than any pocket camera.

Look into it a bit, before you jump. ;)

MrLA
727 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 05, 2010 16:51 |  #19

have you held and tried any of the 4/3 camera systems? to me, they look really nice in pics, but they are very clumsy to hold when i tried them, imo.

Body: Canon 5Dc, (Coming soon <<<6Dc, maybe I shall wait for 6Diic with TouchScreen!).
Other Favorite Camera:
Flash: YN560
Lenses: change all the time!

Rmitchell248
THREAD ­ STARTER
368 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 06, 2010 03:25 |  #20

corndog cabernet wrote in post #10481761 (external link)
Though I have an S90 and think it's pretty good and maybe THE best pocket camera, I'd go straight to M4/3. They have some very cool lenses for these cameras and the IQ will be FAR better than any pocket camera.

Look into it a bit, before you jump. ;)

I will look into those today! Thanks for the great tips guys

gherrry
346 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 06, 2010 03:39 |  #21

G11 or G12

30D | Tonka 11-16 2.8 | 24-70 2.8L | Think Tank Retrospective 20 | Lowepro Fastpack 350 | Lr3 | PS CS5

Rmitchell248
THREAD ­ STARTER
368 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 06, 2010 06:17 |  #22

i am liking the 4/3 cameras they are cool. I have some research to do now.

a ­ lamp ­ post
45 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 06, 2010 12:18 |  #23

Rmitchell248 wrote in post #10481058 (external link)
It did not bother me when we were living in Turkey as much but here when we do travel around a bit differently so it makes it more of a pain, a lot more walking and more people so it gets bumped around more. Then when riding our bikes it is annoying as well. A PS would be a lot easier to use on a bike cause it can just go in my pocket. Also when we were living in Italy we did not ride bikes as much so that was easier to use the DSLR I had then.... I get where your comment was going and its cute but not that cute.

Oh, but I thought it's quite cute. I'm curious why don't you think it's not that cute? Reason I'm asking is I'd like to improve my cuteness and your opinion would be appreciated. Thank you.

p.s. m4/3 cameras are still relatively big and you'll still need a bag to carry them, especially since their zooms are big and, imho, the whole package is not smaller enough (at least it wasn't for me) compared to a DSLR. D90 with 35mm/1.8 or 550D with similar small prime is really not much bigger and gives you noticeably better IQ.

I'd stick with S90. You will get a truly small camera that can go into your packet and a camera which IQ will be amazing, unless you print really big, and lets face it, most of us don't. S90 will bring a joy to your photography in a whole different way. m4/3 is only ok, size wise, with the pancake prime lens and even then it's not that small.

There are rumors that the next Panasonic LX4/5 will be a m4/3 compact camera not (much) bigger than the LX3 and that might be the way to go, but at the moment consider S90.

“The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed.” - William Gibson.
Canon 35mm f1.4L, Canon 17-40 f4L, Canon 100 f2.8L

corndog ­ cabernet
369 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 06, 2010 13:26 |  #24

a lamp post wrote in post #10486652 (external link)
Oh, but I thought it's quite cute. I'm curious why don't you think it's not that cute? Reason I'm asking is I'd like to improve my cuteness and your opinion would be appreciated. Thank you.

I think I might be able to help a bit here. It's not that cute because you sound like a precocious 10 year old. Never much cared for spoiled children ;)

We also get that you like pocket cameras and that is all fine, indeed so do I. They are not however, a substitute for a full size DSLR. The M4/3 cameras are much closer in this respect and IMO offer the best compromise of size, IQ, power features, and lens choices.

I see a viable middle ground between a 7D with a 24-70 L lens and an S90.

Rmitchell248
THREAD ­ STARTER
368 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 06, 2010 14:06 |  #25

a lamp post wrote in post #10486652 (external link)
p.s. m4/3 cameras are still relatively big and you'll still need a bag to carry them, especially since their zooms are big and, imho, the whole package is not smaller enough (at least it wasn't for me) compared to a DSLR. D90 with 35mm/1.8 or 550D with similar small prime is really not much bigger and gives you noticeably better IQ.

I'd stick with S90. You will get a truly small camera that can go into your packet and a camera which IQ will be amazing, unless you print really big, and lets face it, most of us don't. S90 will bring a joy to your photography in a whole different way. m4/3 is only ok, size wise, with the pancake prime lens and even then it's not that small.

There are rumors that the next Panasonic LX4/5 will be a m4/3 compact camera not (much) bigger than the LX3 and that might be the way to go, but at the moment consider S90.

Thank you for the input! I went to a store today and did not get to look at any 4/3s but did get to play with the s90 a bit and it was a nice camera. I agree with where you are coming from in terms of the 4/3s being a bit big to put in pocket so that may be my only issue there. But as said above the 4/3 may be the perfect balance in terms if IQ and size..... LOL I think I have gotten nowhere.

How long has the s90 been out? It seems theres several happy users here on the forum.

Gnhntn
554 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 06, 2010 14:37 |  #26

a lamp post wrote in post #10480960 (external link)
Have you considered carrying your 7D with 24-70 lens in some other country then? If you're tired of carrying it in Germany, it might be different in Switzerland, for example? Perhaps Austria?

I was waiting to see something like this. I would keep the 7D, and your current lenses, and buy a P&S to go with it. I have never used it, but have heard many wonderful things about the G11. A buddy at work recently asked about a P&S and I recommended it to him, and he has been nothing but happy with it. It has has a view finder, has a hot shoe, and still gives the capability for RAW files, where most P&S don't.

My P&S is a 5 year old 5MP HP that I picked up at Walmart as a store return being sold as is for $15, so I took a chance and it worked fine, and still does. Not that great of a camera, but serves the purpose.

"Why is it that children know how to forgive and forget...But adults forget how to forgive?"

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 06, 2010 14:44 |  #27

If lugging around the 7D & 24-70 is annoying & cumbersome have you considered different methods of carrying the gear?

Personally I can carry my 24-70 or 70-200 on a gripped body body hands free without the expected neck pain or annoyance of having to put the gear down and pick it up numerous times. Check this thread out for a possible answer.

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

Edshropshire
336 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 06, 2010 18:17 |  #28

Rmitchell248 wrote in post #10487320 (external link)
Thank you for the input! I went to a store today and did not get to look at any 4/3s but did get to play with the s90 a bit and it was a nice camera. I agree with where you are coming from in terms of the 4/3s being a bit big to put in pocket so that may be my only issue there. But as said above the 4/3 may be the perfect balance in terms if IQ and size..... LOL I think I have gotten nowhere.

How long has the s90 been out? It seems theres several happy users here on the forum.

Not sure how long the S90 has been out, but I recommended the camera to my Sister and she loves camera. My sister travels around the world for work (she runs a non-profit group helping kids) and uses the camera to document the work of the organization. She has tried several cameras but the s90 is her favorite.

I understand your issues, I love my cameras but when I go to Europe on business, unless I know that I have a lot of extra time, I will just bring a small P&S camera with me.

Ed

R5, 5D MK2, 7D, 40D, RF 800 f11, 70-200 f2.8 II, 24-70 L, 70-200 f4 L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 28-135 IS, Sigma 150-600 c, 580 MKII, 430 MKII, Alien Bees for studio work

a ­ lamp ­ post
45 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 06, 2010 19:57 |  #29

corndog cabernet wrote in post #10487083 (external link)
I think I might be able to help a bit here. It's not that cute because you sound like a precocious 10 year old. Never much cared for spoiled children ;)

We also get that you like pocket cameras and that is all fine, indeed so do I. They are not however, a substitute for a full size DSLR. The M4/3 cameras are much closer in this respect and IMO offer the best compromise of size, IQ, power features, and lens choices.

I see a viable middle ground between a 7D with a 24-70 L lens and an S90.

I think that I'd like to know who are "we" you're talking about? Are you speaking for a specific group and you're their viable representative? Or, what I'd like even more, you are not alone in your head? I gotta tell ya, either option is cute in my book, even though I'd prefer few other voices in your head to be the case, for it's always interesting to see a result of "not being alone" openly in a public forum.
Me being a psychologist can certainly appreciate your "we" and can't wait your second post and so called "the child in you" to come out even openly. And, believe me, it will come out - always does. :lol:
Unlike you, I care for all people, even spoiled children and believe me when I tell you: it's ok to let it all out. I will hear you and not judge you. Don't be afraid to speak up, for since you gave your best shot and tried to help here, least I could do is return a favor and be there for you.

Rmitchell248 wrote in post #10487320 (external link)

It seems that the Canon will introduce the successor of S90 in a month or two, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Who knows when will it be available. m4/3 is a perfect balance between compact cameras and DSLRs in terms of IQ, but the whole concept need more time to develop I'd say. It's still too bulky, trust me. Especially with any of the zoom lenses available. You'd be much better with 550D and small prime then.

Look at the S90 galleries this guy has produced and you'll see how capable this little bugger really is in a good hands: http://nickbland.zenfo​lio.com/ (external link) (you'll find photos from a m4/3 EP-1 camera there too).

You should check out for yourself whether m4/3 cameras are small enough for you or not and decide for yourself, though.

I always carried DSLR with me, annoying everyone around me by switching lenses, mounting tripods, paying too much of attention to the equipment and that perfect shot... rather than enjoying the moment with my friends and family, without being pressured with the heavy and expensive equipment to make that amazing shot. Not worth it most of the time, if you ask me. Lugging DSLR with you brings a pressure of using it or what's the point. With S90 (for example), the camera is with you if you find something interesting to shoot. If you don't feel like it, fine - you wont even notice it for it's small to fit in your jeans pocket - heh. No pressure whatsoever. S90 (and other small compacts) really brings a new joy to your photography - well, at least it did that with me.

“The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed.” - William Gibson.
Canon 35mm f1.4L, Canon 17-40 f4L, Canon 100 f2.8L

meanwhile
129 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 06, 2010 21:22 as a reply to  @ a lamp post's post |  #30

This could be interesting in a couple of weeks time.

http://43rumors.com …sor-to-come-by-late-july/ (external link)

Basically, it's rumoured that there is a compact, 3x zoom, m43 camera on the way late July.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

12,444 views & 0 likes for this thread
I am done with my 7D... PS suggestions PLEASE
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.