Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Jul 2010 (Monday) 23:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I just wonder where some of you people get the money, wow!!

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 06, 2010 16:37 |  #61

Just this month I actually stopped my tv payments. I'm just on the internet plan now.

30 bucks a month. You can watch almost everything you want online these days, even live news and sporting events. I'm not a big TV person (hardly ever watched it anyways) but it was a nice chunk of change saved.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 06, 2010 16:54 |  #62

mikekelley wrote in post #10488331 (external link)
Just this month I actually stopped my tv payments. I'm just on the internet plan now.

30 bucks a month. You can watch almost everything you want online these days, even live news and sporting events. I'm not a big TV person (hardly ever watched it anyways) but it was a nice chunk of change saved.

Yep, and $30 a month could buy you a nice semi-pro lens every 12-36 months. I also see people who have a coffee from starbucks every morning, but say they can't afford any large purchases. $4*240 workdays is a $1000 a year. That's a nice lens you are drinking slowly each day.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 06, 2010 16:59 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #63

ten year old MAzdas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 06, 2010 17:00 |  #64

Well as much time as I spend thing about what I can add to my little bag of tricks, LadyWonder, I thank you helping me appreciate what I already have by reminding me how lucky I am to have what I have and to work even harder at developing my skills using what I have.

I would also like to say that my first real experience with my camera was 3 wks in beautiful FL starting in Bonita Spring, from there onto all the Disney theme parks and the grand finale, of course, was watching the space shuttle launch. I only regret not getting to see the Keys. You live in a beautiful state. Hope you get to take tons of pictures while enjoying the ones on this forum.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 06, 2010 17:17 as a reply to  @ zerovision's post |  #65

I'm fortunate enough to have maintained a job that I enjoy, which pays well, and I try to keep my "other" activities to things that don't cost an arm and a leg.

And a girlfriend/SO that doesn't wig out when I spend my own money helps keep the buyer's remorse at bay ;) We bought a house last year and the rebate plus tax returns for that have paid for some high priced toys on their own. I don't pay the cable man for anything more than the bottom rung, basic channels and I don't drink hardly at all, anymore. Those last two easily paid for the 100-400 :D

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

ladywonder
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 06, 2010 18:04 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #66

I love all of your responses. It is inspirational to read how all of you have been able to fulfill your passions.This thread is turning out to be quite motivational.
All of these little toys do help to focus up close, far out, in between, and technically make images bettter and more clear but an image only becomes a photo if there is someone that knows how to capture it behind the camera. ;)
From what I have read though I guess my plans are off for tonight. I was going to take my credit card, go have a beer, buy a few packs of cigarettes, buy some coffee, come back home, and watch full cable haha! I am just kidding. :lol:
I don't drink alcohol, smoke, use credit cards, have full cable, or drink coffee so I am off to a good start. ;)

Rock31
337 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 06, 2010 18:28 as a reply to  @ ladywonder's post |  #67

I don't have much gear but the way I saved is to cut back on things that I don't necessarily need. Like others have said inviting friends over for drinks is cheaper than going out. I also started packing my own lunch for work 3-4 times a week, I never realized how much I spend on breakfast and lunch when I order out at work.

And anything I make photography wise goes right into my equipment fund.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/raypeterson/ (external link)

sidg
326 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 06, 2010 20:20 as a reply to  @ Rock31's post |  #68

I just didn't bother getting into this hobby until the kids were all done with school. After paying tuition for 11 years with a couple of those years all four of us in school suddenly it feels like there is some money to play with.

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Jul 06, 2010 20:39 as a reply to  @ sidg's post |  #69

My signature line pretty much tells the tale--2 income empty nesters.

Join a local POTN or FLICKR group--make friends and network.

I'm going to work and sweat my A double S off tomorrow--but my gear will be shooting the game at Wrigley Field in the hands of a talented young aspiring pro I met here--and she lives just around the corner.

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 06, 2010 20:49 |  #70

Photography is my main hobby, which I spend most of my "spending money" on.

Me and my wife each take $200/mth from our main account for out own personal spending.

Over a year that is $2400 (not all of it goes into photography, but could)

I buy most of my gear used, save $$$. 3 years ago I thought the 40D was "the cat's meow", but it was $1400+tax new, I bought mine used earlier this year for $550. Also when you want to upgrade a lens, you can sell it and not really lose much money.

Shooting portraits or weddings etc. on the side is a great way to help fund the hobby. :)

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 06, 2010 20:52 as a reply to  @ DStanic's post |  #71
bannedPermanently

I went to war, and the money built up. That. and Iraq ate my Xti ha. I needed to upgrade =]

ladywonder
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 06, 2010 20:58 |  #72

merp wrote in post #10489567 (external link)
I went to war, and the money built up. That. and Iraq ate my Xti ha. I needed to upgrade =]

Makes sense. You deserved to upgrade for serving in Iraq not to mention you needed to anyway because Iraq ate your camera:lol:

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 06, 2010 22:09 as a reply to  @ ladywonder's post |  #73

Spent 14 years in school, worked hard and went without for a long time. But I now have a decent income, a recession-proof job that I enjoy, and can afford what I want....that is, until the tax hikes go into effect in January.... :cry: I'm supposedly one of those who doesn't pay their fair share.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

GuitarFreak
894 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 06, 2010 22:10 |  #74

I got my 300D as a birthday gift, the 50D and 28-105mm as a christmas gift, and I traded the 50D for the 1D :D Though any future upgrades I'll have to pay for.

1D MkIII | A2E + VG-10 | 430EX II | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | Σ 14-24 f/2.8
DA (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 06, 2010 22:37 |  #75

Slow gradual accumulation of pieces, watching for the 20% off and clearance sales on over stocked items and older stock. And E-Bay ;-)a Ocasionally being able to splurge on something once a year, when the moon phase is just right. And going without that cup of coffee in the morning, and squirling the $1.50 away into a jar and saving up.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

sponsored links

29,000 views & 0 likes for this thread
I just wonder where some of you people get the money, wow!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.