Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Jul 2010 (Tuesday) 08:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon lens lust

voka_gsw
58 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 07, 2010 03:17 |  #46

alt4852 wrote in post #10487611 (external link)
no, it's not a "deep, dark, empty cave" or anything to that degree, but it does demonstrate a difference in the lens selection available for each brand.

I'd say it only demonstrates how people on internet forums love to argue how their favorite brand is the best thing ever.

"Man, my 14-24mm kills every Canon wide lens!!!!!!!1"
"My 85L is million times better than the 85/1.4 Nikkor, even if I never compared them!!!!!"

I swear, I read silly posts like this from fanboys from either camp every single day. No shortage in this thread either.

sponsored links
Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Jul 07, 2010 03:20 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

voka_gsw wrote in post #10491071 (external link)
I'd say it only demonstrates how people on internet forums love to argue how their favorite brand is the best thing ever.

"My 85L is million times better than the 85/1.4 Nikkor, even if I never compared them!!!!!"

I swear, I read silly posts like this from either sets of fanboys every single day. No shortage in this thread either.

My 13-37mm lens is the most elite lens of them all.

RobDickinson wrote in post #10489198 (external link)
The digital picture.com now have nikon lenses on their iso crop tool (external link).

I'm not sure I'd trust it 100% as there are resolution differences between bodies and in some instances their results seem to contradict places like slrgear.

The 14-24 at 14 seems weaker than the 16-35L mkII at 16 tho at 16mm it looks superb.

Are we looking at the same thing?! I'm a big fan of the Canon 16-35, but I feel the 14-24 looked better on the edges (much less CA and a bit sharper) and the mid frame was obviously better to my eyes. Also a bit more contrast than the 16-35. (I'm talking comparing 14mm to the Canon at 16mm).

I agree at 16mm it's obviously better than the Canon.

That said. I think the Canon 16-35 is a great lens. Not deserving of the "bad press" it tends to get.

martinsmith
680 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 07, 2010 05:33 |  #48

My 1958 Zenit C with Industar 5cm lens is better than either Canon or Nikon. No sensor dust, no AF problems, no batteries to charge, no crop factor and no metering faults. :)

[SIZE=1]ms-imaging (external link)

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 07, 2010 06:41 |  #49

voka_gsw wrote in post #10491071 (external link)

I swear, I read silly posts like this from fanboys from either camp every single day. No shortage in this thread either.

You know that most the people on this forum that are Nikon shooters were once Canon shooters, right?

It's no matter of being fanboys. It's just facts. There is a difference in the systems. Not so much with the standard lenses like the 24-70mm or 70-200 but more so with the others. How many systems have you shot with?

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 07, 2010 07:44 |  #50

ceriltheblade wrote in post #10490979 (external link)
out of curiosity - I have seen many people - professionals and others weighing the options between the nikon and the canon system (mainly)...and I was wondering - why limit oneself to only one system? If this is what I did all day every day - I would think it would be natural to use the right tool for the job - so if I needed an MPE-65 then canon is the only system for that job....
and if I wanted a Nikon lens (sorry i am not familiar enough with the lenses - but lets say the 200-400 - but excuse the example if it is wrong or there are odd nuances) than I would use that system.

Sure it may be a bit more expensive...doesn't share nicely between systems....but i can't believe that it would be prohibitive for the professional.

I, on the other hand, am a rank hobbiest and have no need to be so picky..I am not making money on my shots...so that could aslo explain my ?naieve? question

i think what you're saying is much less relevant in real world use than you may think. most professionals stick to one primary area of expertise, and consequently choose their primary equipment from the brand that works best for them. basically what i'm trying to say is that a sports shooter with a D3 will most likely never be in a position where they'll need a MP-E 65mm macro for their work.

having had experience using two systems at once (canon 40D on one shoulder, nikon D200 on the other), i can assure you that transitioning between the two is definitely not as smooth as i would have liked. with controls in different places moving in opposite directions, it's just more hassle than it's worth. at least to me, both brands put out very high quality products, and the difference in quality isn't significant enough to necessitate an investment in two systems.

there are people like lloyd out there who have opted to use both brands concurrently, but i don't think it's for everyone. :p

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 07, 2010 07:51 |  #51

The one that I really like from Nikon is 24-70mm (I have two copies)... don't ask me about 14-24mm :p it's over-hyped. Canon seems to start taking over the zooms with its 70-200mm IS II. Primes no contest...Canon rules.

So to recap if you like lenses...stay with Canon.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 07, 2010 10:22 |  #52

ceriltheblade wrote in post #10490979 (external link)
out of curiosity - I have seen many people - professionals and others weighing the options between the nikon and the canon system (mainly)...and I was wondering - why limit oneself to only one system? If this is what I did all day every day - I would think it would be natural to use the right tool for the job - so if I needed an MPE-65 then canon is the only system for that job....
and if I wanted a Nikon lens (sorry i am not familiar enough with the lenses - but lets say the 200-400 - but excuse the example if it is wrong or there are odd nuances) than I would use that system.

Sure it may be a bit more expensive...doesn't share nicely between systems....but i can't believe that it would be prohibitive for the professional.

I, on the other hand, am a rank hobbiest and have no need to be so picky..I am not making money on my shots...so that could aslo explain my ?naieve? question

I'm in that boat. I've been a bi-shooter for a couple of years now. And probably will continue to be until Canon brings out a better 5D that can actually compete with the D700 in an operational sense. In my case, the D700 was the best tool for the job so I got it. I don't believe that there really is a clear winner between the big two, and I don't really believe in brand loyalty or fanboyism either. Some products deserve praise, some don't, regardless of the brand.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 07, 2010 10:35 |  #53

picturecrazy wrote in post #10492515 (external link)
I've been a bi-shooter for a couple of years now.

hahaha, if you didn't have an funny title already, you'd probably have one now. :p

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 07, 2010 12:05 |  #54

alt4852 wrote in post #10492581 (external link)
hahaha, if you didn't have an funny title already, you'd probably have one now. :p

Yeah, it all started with a couple years of being bi-curious. ;)

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

6,056 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon lens lust
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.