Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 06 Jul 2010 (Tuesday) 11:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mac Users (not fanboys) Give Me Some Insight

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 06, 2010 19:54 |  #16

As the owner of both Mac and PC, that PC is going to give you better performance for sure.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

sponsored links
theshape
THREAD ­ STARTER
228 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 07, 2010 13:19 |  #17

I decided to go against the "laptop" all together and just replace my desktop. I ended up purchasing a Dell XPS 8100. Intel Core i7 860, 6gb RAM, 1Tb HD, Bluray burner, Nvidia G310 for $999 That should last me a long time. Thanks everyone for their input, it was very knowledgeable.

My flickr (external link)

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 07, 2010 13:35 |  #18

theshape wrote in post #10493584 (external link)
I decided to go against the "laptop" all together and just replace my desktop. I ended up purchasing a Dell XPS 8100. Intel Core i7 860, 6gb RAM, 1Tb HD, Bluray burner, Nvidia G310 for $999 That should last me a long time. Thanks everyone for their input, it was very knowledgeable.

Awesome setup!

Try doing that with Apple hardware for under $1K......

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

dakboy
62 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 07, 2010 13:57 |  #19

enrigonz wrote in post #10493690 (external link)
Awesome setup!

Try doing that with Apple hardware for under $1K......

Apple chooses to not attempt to compete in the market segment of super-cheap computers where there is zero profit margin (Dell gets those prices down by getting money from the vendors of all the garbage that comes pre-loaded on the system). This is where much of the "Macs are expensive" misconception comes from.

When I purchased my MacBook, I spec'd out an identical Dell XPS1300. Less than 10% price difference.

Also, corners have to be cut somewhere in Dell's factory to get prices down. The build quality on the $600 Dell I bought for my wife is nowhere near as good as on my MacBook which is 2 years older.

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 07, 2010 14:19 |  #20

dakboy wrote in post #10493817 (external link)
Apple chooses to not attempt to compete in the market segment of super-cheap computers where there is zero profit margin (Dell gets those prices down by getting money from the vendors of all the garbage that comes pre-loaded on the system). This is where much of the "Macs are expensive" misconception comes from.

When I purchased my MacBook, I spec'd out an identical Dell XPS1300. Less than 10% price difference.

Also, corners have to be cut somewhere in Dell's factory to get prices down. The build quality on the $600 Dell I bought for my wife is nowhere near as good as on my MacBook which is 2 years older.

But Apple also doesn't upgrade their offerings as often. If you would wait and compare prices 6 months from now, that MBP would be the same price as a 15" i7 notebook.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 07, 2010 14:21 |  #21

I wouldn't consider the Dell he bought to "super-cheap" and I can certainly understand Apple's position to not enter the market in the "super-cheap" category. But how can you in one sentence talk about comparing like subjects and then turn around and compare two dissimilar products?

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

petriej
83 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 07, 2010 14:30 |  #22

The Dell has more horsepower, but I prefer the reliability of OSX. You could get a MBP with an i5 as well.

Canon 5DMK4 | Canon EOS Rebel T1i | Canon ELF SD1000 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 II | Canon EF 50mm 1:4 | Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS | 580EXII | Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 | Manfrotto 488RC4 | PW MiniTT1 | PW FlexTT5 | Black Rapid Sport

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 07, 2010 14:59 |  #23

petriej wrote in post #10494031 (external link)
The Dell has more horsepower, but I prefer the reliability of OSX. You could get a MBP with an i5 as well.

Or he could attempt to put OS X on the Dell. It would quite possible be a pain, but it may be worth it.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

lhughey
650 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 07, 2010 15:06 |  #24

The processor and memory in the Dell you have listed below is far superior. As others have stated, the I5 much better than the Core2 Duos. Also, if you are running photoshop or a memory hungry app, you will benefit from 6gbs of memory
What is the video card in the Mac?

flickr: link (external link)

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 07, 2010 15:58 |  #25

Well no point in advising laptops now guys he's bought a desktop. I personally think he did the right thing, if you're looking for power on a budget then it's quite clear where to go.

I'm not looking forward to the day when I can decide between a powerful Mac and powerful PC... I'm honestly on the fence and I think I'll have buyers remorse either way.

dakboy
62 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 07, 2010 18:59 |  #26

Village_Idiot wrote in post #10493954 (external link)
But Apple also doesn't upgrade their offerings as often. If you would wait and compare prices 6 months from now, that MBP would be the same price as a 15" i7 notebook.

That part I don't like. The best time to get a high-value purchase of new (not refurb) Mac hardware is the day an update is released. The "no changes in 9 months but we won't drop the price even though newer, better, cheaper parts come out" is a sore point for a lot of Apple owners.

dakboy
62 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 07, 2010 19:06 |  #27

In2Photos wrote in post #10493972 (external link)
I wouldn't consider the Dell he bought to "super-cheap" and I can certainly understand Apple's position to not enter the market in the "super-cheap" category. But how can you in one sentence talk about comparing like subjects and then turn around and compare two dissimilar products?

I wasn't. I was pointing out that A) Apple chooses not to compete in that space and B) when you opt to pay less for a computer, there are very noticeable tradeoffs. I would much rather pay more for a higher-quality build (regardless of brand).

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 07, 2010 22:30 |  #28

dakboy wrote in post #10495597 (external link)
I wasn't. I was pointing out that A) Apple chooses not to compete in that space and B) when you opt to pay less for a computer, there are very noticeable tradeoffs. I would much rather pay more for a higher-quality build (regardless of brand).

Apple, Dell or who ever, use practically the same stuff in their system components, not sure where you get the idea of Apple using quality build and it being better than any other Win PC counterpart but I've opened and exchanged parts in iMacs, Mac Pros, Mac Minis, etc, etc and there's nothing in these machines I could not do for less and build myself. One thing I must admit is that Apples are built very well and perhaps their QC is much better than most other PC manufacturers.

My iMac is 4 years old and still runs great, very usable but not for the heavy CPU hungry stuff just like any other PC would be after 4 years. For the price of an Apple you can buy 2 awesome Windows/Linux machines and be very happy. Any Apple you buy today is way over price no matter how you see it, you can try justifying it by saying it has a better built or parts but at the end money talks and bullcrap walks.... sorry!

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 08, 2010 01:12 |  #29

enrigonz wrote in post #10496553 (external link)
Apple, Dell or who ever, use practically the same stuff in their system components, not sure where you get the idea of Apple using quality build and it being better than any other Win PC counterpart but I've opened and exchanged parts in iMacs, Mac Pros, Mac Minis, etc, etc and there's nothing in these machines I could not do for less and build myself. One thing I must admit is that Apples are built very well and perhaps their QC is much better than most other PC manufacturers.

My iMac is 4 years old and still runs great, very usable but not for the heavy CPU hungry stuff just like any other PC would be after 4 years. For the price of an Apple you can buy 2 awesome Windows/Linux machines and be very happy. Any Apple you buy today is way over price no matter how you see it, you can try justifying it by saying it has a better built or parts but at the end money talks and bullcrap walks.... sorry!

Sorry, that just is not the case. What parts exactly are you speaking of? HDD & RAM? Those have been interchangeable for a while now. Pretty much everything else is custom, permanently attached or hazardous to interchange with a PC (like CPU in Mac Pro's). Even parts from HP & Dell computers are often not interchangeable; increasing as the computers get smaller or more stylized. Then, add to the array of different chipsets, CPU pin-outs and so on... This is called a fallacy (generalization). Example: You say, "Mac's use the same parts as PC's, therefore, Mac's are PC's."

As far as building a faster machine, sure, no one's arguing that. However, you can put $150,000 in a Ford Focus but that will not make it a Ferrari 458 Italia. I'm not saying a Mac is a Ferrari, just that if you do not care about the things that actually make a Mac a Mac then your arguments are just fallacy (just because something is cheaper does not make it necessarily better). I think you should do some investigating, particularly on All-In-One computers, premium PC's (HP ENVY & Alienware), and workstation's. I think you would be surprised that Apple's really are not that much more expensive.

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 08, 2010 07:12 |  #30

dakboy wrote in post #10495597 (external link)

Actually you did! ;)

So here you say that a comparable Dell was about 10% less than the MAC. But then:

So now you are comparing a cheaper Dell to the build quality of your more expensive MAC.

MaxxuM wrote in post #10497154 (external link)
As far as building a faster machine, sure, no one's arguing that. However, you can put $150,000 in a Ford Focus but that will not make it a Ferrari 458 Italia. I'm not saying a Mac is a Ferrari, just that if you do not care about the things that actually make a Mac a Mac then your arguments are just fallacy (just because something is cheaper does not make it necessarily better). I think you should do some investigating, particularly on All-In-One computers, premium PC's (HP ENVY & Alienware), and workstation's. I think you would be surprised that Apple's really are not that much more expensive.

But at least you would be the only person with a $150,000 Ford Focus. :lol: I mean how many Ferrari 458s are around? I bet more than one. ;) Not to mention that most Ferrari's sit in some multi-million dollar garage. What good is that!? The guy that built the Focus is driving his, I guarantee it!!! ;)

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

sponsored links

7,984 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mac Users (not fanboys) Give Me Some Insight
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.