Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Jul 2010 (Tuesday) 12:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What improved your work the MOST?

gkarris
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 07, 2010 12:13 |  #46

There are 3 things you should do to improve your Photographic Work - unfortunately, no one knows what they are...

LOL...

My take: uUe a Pentax K-1000 for at least 10 years. ;)

I don't know your equipment list, but if you have any EF lenses - go and by a used Rebel film camera body (I managed to buy one off e-bay for $25 shipped to replace one I had sold off back in the day).

Use it in MF mode and Manual Exposure for a bunch of rolls, both B/W and different color (Fuji, Kodak) - throw some slide film in.

You'd be surprised what you get when you switch back to digital.. :D

sponsored links
LauraBella
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 07, 2010 13:50 |  #47

gkarris wrote in post #10493161 (external link)
There are 3 things you should do to improve your Photographic Work - unfortunately, no one knows what they are...

LOL...

My take: uUe a Pentax K-1000 for at least 10 years. ;)

I don't know your equipment list, but if you have any EF lenses - go and by a used Rebel film camera body (I managed to buy one off e-bay for $25 shipped to replace one I had sold off back in the day).

Use it in MF mode and Manual Exposure for a bunch of rolls, both B/W and different color (Fuji, Kodak) - throw some slide film in.

You'd be surprised what you get when you switch back to digital.. :D

On gear: I have Rebel XSi (digi) and a Rebel Ti (film). Kit lenses from both. Two primes (Canon 35 f/2 and 50 f/2.5), a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Plus an older Canon zoom (70-300). One speedlite (430 exii) and an older Vivitar flash. That, various and a sundry filters, and cheap tripod pretty much constitutes my gear. (Well, I also have a Nikon N55 and it's kit lens...but that camera has been unreliable.... Hence, I became a Canon girl.)

I haven't really shot film in a while...but all this advice has me thinking about it. Especially since I have some on hand. Hey, if I use it up...even if I don't get amazing shots, I'll have more room in the fridge, right? I've NEVER shot slide film.

I HAVE been trying to climb out of the Av hole, and stay in Manual more often. My weakest link is probably post processing, but I have learning room in every possible area. I know I'm discarding A Lot of what I shoot.

If I'm honest, and I might as well be, even though I've always loved photography (I remember crying for my Mom to buy me film when I was tiny)... and I've been shooting with an slr for about 5 years (dslr for about 1 year)... I've only gotten serious about learning in the past couple of months. I know it will take time...but I WANT to learn!

Thank you all. This is an awesome (knowledgable, welcoming, talented...) forum.

~L.

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 07, 2010 13:55 |  #48

Shooting modes don't really matter, use whatever it takes to get the shot. I think Joe McNally shoots in Av like 95% of the time according to his literature.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 07, 2010 14:13 |  #49

mikekelley wrote in post #10493808 (external link)
Shooting modes don't really matter, use whatever it takes to get the shot. I think Joe McNally shoots in Av like 95% of the time according to his literature.

yes.. because he already knows how exposure works. for those who are not well-versed in photography, one of the easiest ways to learn is to manipulate individual variables free from automation so you can directly see the effects of each function on a frame. it is much harder to become more versatile with your photography in P mode rather than M mode. so yes, shooting modes do matter.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

emmalish
353 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 07, 2010 14:21 |  #50

LauraBella wrote in post #10493775 (external link)
I've NEVER shot slide film.

Shooting slide film will really make you think about every frame. It's very unforgiving.

I started out shooting b/w and doing my own darkroom work, and if a shot didn't quite turn out, I could do a little extra in the darkroom to make it work. And with colour processing, whoever is doing the developing can do a bit of tweaking for you. But slides? They're developed as-is. Definitely a learning experience!

50D
24-85 | MP-E 65 | 60 Macro | 100 Macro | 70-200L f/4 IS | Tamron 90 Macro
420EX | 580EX | MT-24EX

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 07, 2010 14:29 |  #51

alt4852 wrote in post #10493915 (external link)
yes.. because he already knows how exposure works. for those who are not well-versed in photography, one of the easiest ways to learn is to manipulate individual variables free from automation so you can directly see the effects of each function on a frame. it is much harder to become more versatile with your photography in P mode rather than M mode. so yes, shooting modes do matter.

I've seen some consistently amazing photographs from people in full auto. If you know how the mode works and can utilize it to it's fullest, use whatever it takes.

the ability to 'see' is far more important than the ability to spin dials.

both are important but i wouldn't say it's a shortcoming to not really use full manual all the time. if you understand how a mode works and why you're not going to have much trouble getting the images you want. just use whatever works best for you in a given situation.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 07, 2010 14:31 |  #52

mikekelley wrote in post #10494022 (external link)
I've seen some consistently amazing photographs from people in full auto. If you know how the mode works and can utilize it to it's fullest, use whatever it takes.

both are important but i wouldn't say it's a shortcoming to not really use full manual all the time. if you understand how a mode works and why you're not going to have much trouble getting the images you want. just use whatever works best for you in a given situation.

Key Point .. Well Said

The more I really study the work done by those I admire most, the more I find that they are much more into the moment and the quality of the light and far less concerned with how to get from Lens to Screen or Page.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 07, 2010 14:50 |  #53

mikekelley wrote in post #10494022 (external link)

i'm not saying that automated modes don't have their place (i probably use Av 40% of the time), but from personal experience, i've found that the best way to learn how each dial affects your final result, the easier it is to translate what you "see" into what shows up on your screen later. for me, manual mode was the most efficient way of really understanding the exact consequences of changing a particular setting.

i don't think anyone has even implied that not using full manual all the time is the ultimate goal, but i do think it's one of the most useful tools we have at our disposal to learn how to use our equipment to record what we see.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

echo
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 07, 2010 14:55 |  #54

I'd say having your work published is the most useful thing. It makes you really think about what you're doing and why.

http://www.RecordProdu​ction.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/RecordProduction (external link)

petriej
83 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 07, 2010 15:08 |  #55

So far for me it has been books, tripod, 580exII and classes.

I took a semester long class at the local community college and it was priceless. We were to shoot a minimum of 200 shots per week and assemble 36 into a contact sheet for review. I work full time and take care of my son when I am not at work so 200 shots a week can seem a little brutal, but it was well worth it. He pushed us to do studio, landscape, portraiture, experimental and gave valuable feedback. If it was a crap portfolio or contact sheet he would tell you and typically you would realise that yeah I took the easy road on that one.

I would like to join a local photography club but they all meet during weeknights when I work.

Find a class and take it if you can.

Join a photography club.

Get a book - the library is free!!

Canon 5DMK4 | Canon EOS Rebel T1i | Canon ELF SD1000 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 II | Canon EF 50mm 1:4 | Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS | 580EXII | Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 | Manfrotto 488RC4 | PW MiniTT1 | PW FlexTT5 | Black Rapid Sport

ckckevin
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 07, 2010 15:14 |  #56

for me, reading books and going to forum to see what other people do and learn the good from them and take the bad (that you perceive) away have helped me a lot.

Kevin life= learning
500D, Canon 10-22mm, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 60 macro, Canon 85mm 1.8, Sigma 8mm 3.5, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 50-150mm 2.8, Kenko SP300 1.4x, efs extension tubes, 580EX, and lens that i don't like

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 07, 2010 15:38 |  #57

I started putting more interesting things in front of my camera. My cats and kids are much happier as well!

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Jul 07, 2010 15:42 |  #58

irishman wrote in post #10494432 (external link)
I started putting more interesting things in front of my camera. My cats and kids are much happier as well!

:lol:

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 07, 2010 15:47 |  #59

Funny...

There is something to be said though for making the effort to go to where the photo ops are and not settle for what's immediately around you.

Your "Arches" shots prove that...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

LauraBella
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 07, 2010 15:54 |  #60

Hilarious. Especially since I swear my golden "rolls her eyes" when I take her picture!

sponsored links

6,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
What improved your work the MOST?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.