Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 23:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D M2 with 580EX2 and 430EX2

drdimento
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 07, 2010 23:21 |  #1

Ok, I just a month ago purchased the 5DM2 and a 580EX2 and am slowly learning this genre over my former 100% Nikon for decades. However, one of the issues I recall seeing but now can't find anywhere is this . . how can I get the camera to...

- Control the 580 when NOT mounted ?
- Control the 430 when NOT mounted ?
- Control a 430 from a mounted 580 ?
- Control the power from the respective lights (groups) ?

As I say, I could swear I watched a video on this subject and I thought the camera could somehow signal the two lights independently or together and control their respective power levels.

Thanks in advance to those who respond.

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 07, 2010 23:26 |  #2

you cant control any flash remotely unless you have some sort of controller mounted on the shoe. You need either the st-e2 controller or a canon flash capable of acting as a master. The 500 series of ex flashes can do this. THe 7D has a built in controller but the 5DII does not. to control a 430 using the mounted 580 you need to put the remote flash in slave mode, the mounted flash in master mode but basically you should read the manuals of the respective flashes to learn their control menus

robbug
212 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 07, 2010 23:29 |  #3

1 - cannot (7d can(finally Canon caught up)) - Canon has lagged behind Nikons to control a single OCF without an add on accessory

2 - cannot - same as above

3 - (not sure don't own) but I believe it can be set to slave mode so the 580 can set it off.

4 - cannot unless you purchase the newer pocket wizards that support ETTL via wireless. Otherwise it's manual control.

As to the "video", you may have been watching a video for the Canon 7d which can do 1,2, and 3.

dunno about #4

Refractive Photos (external link)
Stuff that gets me the exposure
When asked if there were too many people taking pictures today, Elliot Erwitt replied, "All you need is a pencil and a piece of paper to write a novel, don't you?"

drdimento
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 07, 2010 23:37 |  #4

Great. Sounds like the 580 will control another 580 or 430 or multiples then?

slr_noob
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 08, 2010 01:45 |  #5

To make it short:
-Only 7D can control off-camera flash (your 580EX II and 430EX II). The body is master and all flashes are slave. Can control in groups.
-a mounted 580EX (or EX II) can control a off-camera 430 EX (or EX II). The 430 can only be a slave.
-Bodies with Digic III and newer can control mounted flashes from the body.

Canon 7D
-580EX II
-24-105 f/4L IS USM (Now fixed!)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 08, 2010 08:51 |  #6

drdimento wrote in post #10496818 (external link)
Great. Sounds like the 580 will control another 580 or 430 or multiples then?

Yes. The remote flashes can be arranged in 2 groups with adjustable power ratios.

drdimento
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 08, 2010 19:11 |  #7

gonzogolf wrote in post #10498427 (external link)
Yes. The remote flashes can be arranged in 2 groups with adjustable power ratios.

Definitely super !!

slr_noob wrote in post #10497251 (external link)
To make it short:
-Only 7D can control off-camera flash (your 580EX II and 430EX II). ...

Sounds neat but I definitely won't be getting a 7D as I really want to stay away from a crop camera and only have an inexpensive one for back up only . . like the T2i. I really would prefer not to have it but it just doesn't make good business sense not to have a 2nd camera for those "have too" situations were I to have a fall out and thus from all I read the T2i will use my regular lenses that I will have for my 5DM2.

Also, I really don't have any problems running the the 580 on the camera to trigger other flashes.

sponsored links

2,334 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D M2 with 580EX2 and 430EX2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.