Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 23:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do I buy a 20D now or go camerless until December?

rhettbigdaddy
29 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 07, 2010 23:39 |  #1

Hi all,

I'm completely new to DSLR world. I've done quite a bit of reading about different bodies and lenses over the past couple of weeks so I've got a basic understanding of things (in theory anyway). My wife has agreed to making a DSLR my Christmas present this year. However, as I read more and more, the body I want gets more and more expensive. I was fairly certain that I wanted 7D (maybe a 50D). However, I realize that it doesn't do me any good to have a great camera and to not have any lenses. I'm thinking my total budget will be in the $2000 range for gear (starting out). Now I've decided that maybe I ought to purchase a used 20D here (looks like I can get one under $300 if I'm patient) and a nifty fifty in order to begin learning and occupy myself until December. I'm not sure if there are any known issues with the 20D I should watch out for.

In December I'm thinking now that I can get a 50D at a pretty reasonable price new (I'm hoping less than $700 by then). That should leave me $1300 or so for glass, tripods, extra memory, batteries, etc.

My question is does this sound like a reasonable plan? (keep in mind it's a lot of planning considering I've taken exactly 0 shots with anything other than a p&s on auto). Is the 20D worth buying or should I just wait until December? Also any lense recommendations are helpful. I will be shooting landscape/cityscape, candids of my dogs and my wife, and probably a trip to the zoo now and then for some animals.

Thanks!

"It is uncool to wear shades after sunset unless you should be wearing shades after sunset, in which case it is uncool to take them off."
Gear - 40D/28-135IS

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 07, 2010 23:44 |  #2

The basics of photography are the same on a 20D or 50D, and the 20D has good picture quality, so that sounds like a fine plan. Batteries, memory cards, etc, will work on the 50D, too.

However, you may find the 50mm a bit long for general use.. I might suggest grabbing an 18-55 IS or a 28mm f2.8 instead.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

That_Fox
"In the Witless Protection Program"
1,386 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 07, 2010 23:49 |  #3

The 20D is a good camera and the resale value won't go down too much between now and then so it sounds like a good plan to me. The fundamentals will be the same, you just won't have many of the modern toys that you will on the 50D. I'd say go for it, although for the lens I would not recommend the 50mm as your only lens, get something wider like a 24mm or 35mm.

Apparently I've been dubbed Foxy.
Alamy (external link), website (external link) and gear

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 07, 2010 23:55 |  #4

The only issue with a 20D is it is, supposedly, the Yongnuo flashes are not compatible with a 20D. Not sure if it's true or why it wouldn't, since it's a Canon camera. With that being said, I would go with a 50D instead. Yongnuo flashes are just another one of the cheaper alternative to the Canon brand speedlite flashes.

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 07, 2010 23:57 |  #5

^^^^ That sounds like an issue with Yongnuo flashes, not the 20D. It's been out for about 4 years longer than Yongnuo.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,488 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 07, 2010 23:59 |  #6

Seems like a pretty good plan to me.

The 20D is a great camera, however you may find you can get a 30D for close to the same price, and if the difference is small it's worth it. Both of these will produce much higher image quality than any of the most recent point and shoot cameras, so you may even find yourself wanting to focus more on glass than a body for awhile. :)

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

That_Fox
"In the Witless Protection Program"
1,386 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 08, 2010 00:10 |  #7

Bob_A wrote in post #10496881 (external link)
Seems like a pretty good plan to me.

The 20D is a great camera, however you may find you can get a 30D for close to the same price, and if the difference is small it's worth it. Both of these will produce much higher image quality than any of the most recent point and shoot cameras, so you may even find yourself wanting to focus more on glass than a body for awhile. :)

I dunno, there really isn't that much difference between the 20D and 30D. The 30D has a slightly bigger screen and spot metering, but not much else over the 20D. You'll get identical image quality between the two and that's what matters most.

Apparently I've been dubbed Foxy.
Alamy (external link), website (external link) and gear

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,488 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 08, 2010 00:15 |  #8

That_Fox wrote in post #10496924 (external link)
I dunno, there really isn't that much difference between the 20D and 30D. The 30D has a slightly bigger screen and spot metering, but not much else over the 20D. You'll get identical image quality between the two and that's what matters most.

Agree, which is why I said "for close to the same price". I figure if the difference is only $20 to $40 bucks, why not? :)

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

rhettbigdaddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 08, 2010 00:17 as a reply to  @ Bob_A's post |  #9

Bob,

If I see a 30D for $300 and a 20D for $275, I'm picking the 30D. I just haven't seen one that cheap yet.

"It is uncool to wear shades after sunset unless you should be wearing shades after sunset, in which case it is uncool to take them off."
Gear - 40D/28-135IS

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 08, 2010 00:17 |  #10

I have a 30D and a couple other bodies -- That 30D is fully capable of taking a photo just as well as my 'pro' gear -- Get the 20D, spend your money on lenses/lighting and learn to use it. But, most of all, enjoy it!

Tempus fugit.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

robbug
212 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 08, 2010 00:18 as a reply to  @ Bob_A's post |  #11

The plan is sound. I just moved beyond my 20D as of yesterday after over 4 years of faithful service. I learned so much on this camera and will not ever let it go until it dies as my backup camera!

If you can land a good deal (good condition) you will allow yourself quite a bit of latitude for lenses.

While shooting for the Navy, I have not had any complaints over resolution etc for any events I shot.

The 20D is a solid camera. Use the extra cash to get yourself a nice mid-range lens (prime or zoom)

Save the rest until you find your limitations. Then use the rest of your funds to focus there.

My upgrade process went as follows:

1. 20D with kit 18-55 - great learning lens. Light in weight. And honestly I still use it from time to time.

2. 100mm macro f2.8 - I like closeups - worked out to be a good portrait lens.

3. 50mm f1.4 - started taking pics of low light and needed a faster general lens. Worked great.

4. 17-40 + 24-70 - went on a 30 day cross country trip and thought "what the hell" get good glass to make sure I get the best images from a potential once in a lifetime trip.

5. 70 - 200 f2.8 IS - needed longer reach in low low light during previous events and got tired of trying to execute perfect skills after running 4 miles. (photographing running formations and obstacle courses)

6. 580 ex II - to supplement the above and indoor events

7. More flashes and studio equipment to support wife's business

8. 5D Mk II to prevent failure of older camera during critical events and also to supplement low light shots.

I posted the above as an example of how you may progress. Mastering the basics etc may save you cash and heart ache in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Refractive Photos (external link)
Stuff that gets me the exposure
When asked if there were too many people taking pictures today, Elliot Erwitt replied, "All you need is a pencil and a piece of paper to write a novel, don't you?"

BobbyDigital
176 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 08, 2010 00:21 as a reply to  @ That_Fox's post |  #12

As far as lenses go, seeming as though your new to DSLR, you may want to skip on the prime. Get a zoom, something in the range of 17-50mm. After using this lens for 6 months to a year, then decide on what prime to go for. It took me some time to find my ideal focal length and 50mm is definitely not on my ideal FL list. Considering you are interested in landscape/cityscape, some thing wide is essential.

.:. Flickr (external link) .:.
.:. Facebook (external link) .:.

Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 08, 2010 00:21 |  #13

If you can live with a smaller LCD screen and MP then go for it.
I can't comment on the picture quality vs. a 50D, but I wouldn't think there would be much difference.

Trevor

rhettbigdaddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 08, 2010 08:22 as a reply to  @ Lone Rider's post |  #14

Thanks all, I think I'm going to go ahead and pick up a 20D. :eek:

Gear - 40D/28-135IS

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 08, 2010 08:57 |  #15

BobbyDigital wrote in post #10496973 (external link)
As far as lenses go, seeming as though your new to DSLR, you may want to skip on the prime. Get a zoom, something in the range of 17-50mm. After using this lens for 6 months to a year, then decide on what prime to go for. It took me some time to find my ideal focal length and 50mm is definitely not on my ideal FL list. Considering you are interested in landscape/cityscape, some thing wide is essential.

This is what I would do. I would never recommend a prime lens to a new photographer, as I've done so in the past with my friends and the prime ALWAYS gets left in the camera bag. An 18-55mm IS will run you ~$100 used, and you'll get a sense of what focal lengths you use the most. If you're at 50mm most of the time, then get the 50mm prime.

sponsored links

4,625 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do I buy a 20D now or go camerless until December?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.