Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 02:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help! keep my 5DII or my 1DIV?!

ReflektionsPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 08, 2010 14:36 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

wow. I really didn't expect the votes for 1d4 to be so overwhelming. :)

Anyway, I've only shot one event (non-wedding) with both so far. I've got a wedding this Saturday.
I'll try them both out there.

thanks for all the input everyone!

Canon 5D Mark II, 1D Mark IV, 580EX II x2, PW Flex TT1 & TT5s (x2), Canon 17-40L (for sale), 24-70L (for sale), 70-200L 2.8 mark ii, 135L, 100 usm macro, Sigma 50 1.4,. Software: Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS4. WTB: 16-35 2.8 ii, Sigma 85 1.4

sponsored links
tsw910
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 08, 2010 14:58 |  #17

if $$ isn't holding you back .. I would go with IV as well .. I love the images it produces and AWB is far more superior than 5D2 .. which in a wedding can save you tons of time when editing and it can mean alot !

but for me personally .. i went with the 5D2 for the cost and shockingly .. AF in low light .. BUT, if i had 5K to burn, IV would definitely be the main cam i use

Scuba Tom
http://tomwangphotogra​phy.com (external link)NYC Wedding Photographer (external link)http://www.tomwangphot​ography.com/ (external link)

robbym
112 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 08, 2010 15:37 |  #18

I own the 5D2 and have rented a 1D4 and fully understand your dilemma. They are both incredible cameras. However, for portrait, candid and such I'd probably keep the 5D2 and sell the 1D4 to invest in some high-end glass. If I were shooting sports or anything that required speed it would be the 1D4 without question. Good luck!

-----------

Edit -- Your post made me curious to revisit the differences and after playing with a 1D4 again I'd keep the 1D4 no question. Way more candids in focus, I love my 5D2 but it isn't the quickest and yields more soft images from the street (vs 1D4). I'm starting to think the 5D2 is better suited to slow controlled situations like in a studio.

Cheers,
Robbym
5D 85mm f/1.2 | Sony RX1 Zeiss Sonnar 35mm f/2.0

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 08, 2010 16:16 |  #19

1D4 without question.

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jul 08, 2010 16:31 as a reply to  @ HKGuns's post |  #20

I have both and there is no way I would pick the 5d over the mk4.

Gear List

joseph ­ paul
21 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 08, 2010 17:03 |  #21

Hmmm.. Weddings, portraits, landscapes. No brainer-- 5D II

Unless you're shooting a bride that can run a 4.2 40 yard dash down the aisle.. You're wasting your $$

I cant believe all the replies.. what happened to glass before bodies people??

Sell that $4500 "sports" camera and get some glass/lighting. These will improve your pics 10x more than the 1D4.

For $4500, you could get..

5d(backup) $1000
135L. -- $900
35L. --- $1300
AB1600 -- $350
AB800 -- $275
Vagabond - $300
PLM's -- $200

And..
Still have a couple hundred to celebrate the best decision you ever made!

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 08, 2010 17:28 |  #22

What is this about a 1d4 that can't handle portraits, weddings and landscapes all of a sudden?

JP, he already has plenty of good glass. And if he has to shoot anything that moves, the 1d is going to be the go-to.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

joseph ­ paul
21 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 08, 2010 18:50 |  #23

There's nothing wrong with the 1d4, but does it produce better image quality than the 5d2?

Also, the OP is using the center AF point. It's total overkill for their shooting style. I just think the 35L and 135L would benefit the OP more than the 10fps and 1000 Unused AF points. Not to mention the DOF advantage of the FF for weddings and portraits.

The OP has really nice glass, but only has one lens faster than 2.8.(50 1.4). The 1.3 crop 1d4 and 50 1.4 ... is NO comparison for the 35L and 135L with a FF 5d2 when it comes to portraits and weddings.

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 08, 2010 19:01 |  #24

The 1D MK can do everything the 5D MK2 can with the right lenses, and personally not a lot of difference in IQ/ISO.

The 5D MK2 cannot do everything a 1D MK4 can, except bigger files.

So if I had to choose 1D MK4.

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 08, 2010 19:05 |  #25

ReflektionsPhotography wrote in post #10497519 (external link)
I'm not sure I have enough experience/technique to make full use of the 1DIV's vaunted focusing system.  :p I use it almost the same way as my 5DII - I pick a point, and push the button halfway.  :p

It makes no difference how you use it, fact of the matter is you will get shots with 1D MK4 that the 5D MK2 cannot focus quick enough, especially for wedding candid's, the focus system is what the 1D MK4 is all about and it is far far quicker to lock than a 5D MK2, especially with the 85L

The only reason you sell 1D MK4 over 5D MK2 is you need more Cash

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:

joseph ­ paul
21 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 08, 2010 19:38 |  #26

MaDProFF wrote in post #10502031 (external link)
The only reason you sell 1D MK4 over 5D MK2 is you need more Cash

The only reason you sell 5D MK2 over 1D MK4 is if your NOT a wedding/portrait/lands​cape photographer

The other reasons you sell a 1D MK4 over 5D MK2 are:

> better IQ for less than half the price
> don't shoot fast moving subjects
> don't shoot sports or wildlife
> ridiculously thin depth of field / subject isolation
> Full frame goodness and huge prints
> take the $2300 you just saved and buy 2 of the best lenses ever made to take advantage of that thin DOF, and the best IQ Canon ever produced.

ReflektionsPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 08, 2010 19:49 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

I'm not so sure I would sell a body for more glass. I've very satisfied with my current glass line-up. Zooms make it very easy for me to change composition. I know with a prime, you can use the old feet zoom, but it's hard when there is a rock, a pew, people, etc. in the way. Without a zoom lens, I would probably replicate the video shown on youtube - wedding photographer FAIL! :D

I did notice that I had a lot of in-focus candids on my 1D4 though. I wonder if y'all are on to something.

Hrmph. I think I'm gonna end up keeping both anyway, and then just buying my GF something shiny to compensate. I wish she didn't know how much my camera stuff costs - I think she's adding it up in her head deciding on exactly how big the shiny bling should be.

Canon 5D Mark II, 1D Mark IV, 580EX II x2, PW Flex TT1 & TT5s (x2), Canon 17-40L (for sale), 24-70L (for sale), 70-200L 2.8 mark ii, 135L, 100 usm macro, Sigma 50 1.4,. Software: Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS4. WTB: 16-35 2.8 ii, Sigma 85 1.4

kja
Cream of the Crop
5,923 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 08, 2010 19:57 |  #28

Did I miss it - why do you think you need to get rid of one? Two bodies of some sort are essential for paying gigs and I'd think these two would compliment each very well.

Kristin

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jul 08, 2010 20:18 |  #29

Keep the 5D2, send the 1D4 to me ASAP. :)

Seriously, you'll have to weigh each body's strengths and weaknesses against your shooting situations and then decide.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 09, 2010 03:53 |  #30

joseph paul wrote in post #10502226 (external link)
The only reason you sell 5D MK2 over 1D MK4 is if your NOT a wedding/portrait/lands​cape photographer

The other reasons you sell a 1D MK4 over 5D MK2 are:

> better IQ for less than half the price
> don't shoot fast moving subjects
> don't shoot sports or wildlife
> ridiculously thin depth of field / subject isolation
> Full frame goodness and huge prints
> take the $2300 you just saved and buy 2 of the best lenses ever made to take advantage of that thin DOF, and the best IQ Canon ever produced.

I disagee with all of those points except cash, and I own both bodies, the time I would only use the 5D MK2 now, is a studio under lights.
I did forget a reason, UWA lenses more suited for 5D MK2 due to FF, but I think that problem will be solved soon with Canon New Lenses out soon.
As for fast moving targets, 5D MK2 does dam well, used it loads of time for football, and car racing, but although it does really well, it is not as good as a 1D MK4.
IQ both very very similar,

sponsored links

3,514 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help! keep my 5DII or my 1DIV?!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.