Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 03 Jun 2010 (Thursday) 10:11
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What would you do?"
Tell them the truth
19.3%
Half truths
14%
Keep it a secret
66.7%

57 voters, 57 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If you found a secret place...

this thread is locked
RichSoansPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 06, 2010 14:36 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

CannedHeat wrote in post #10308567 (external link)
Why does it have to be limited to wildlife spots?

I shot a landscape situation (well off the normal beaten track) that had special circumstances about it.

I shot it on many different occasions, in different seasons for about 18-20 months while the opportunity existed. It's gone now.

The shots were great and are hanging in many different locations. I have yet to see a single other picture posted anywhere of the opportunity.

Did I tell anybody while available? Does a prize-winning cook give away secret recipes? Do magicians reveal their methods? Does Dave Hill give a detailed, step-by-step layout of the full flow of his methods from lighting thru post processing?

Photographers are no different and may choose to or not to keep their cards close to their chest just like anybody else.

Isn't landscape part and parcel of the wildlife? There are animals in the landscape

sponsored links
res
895 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 06, 2010 18:00 |  #17

400dabuser wrote in post #10295170 (external link)
..that noone knew about, would you tell your fellow photographers, tell them half truths or keep it secret where the location was.

I am talking about specifically a wild life locations that maybe hardly anyone knew about. Tbh, I would tell them half truths about my secret location(s)

Since the op has stated mainly wildlife locations, I have to say I would not share much. Some exceptions would be those areas that are fairly known already but those aren't really secret are they. I am thinking of sites like the locks and dams on the mississippi, wildlife reserves that are public,etc. I will admit, even when people I know ask me where I shot a picture, I only tell them a basic direction or area (out near this town). Just protective I guess.

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 07, 2010 11:35 |  #18

After showing one photographer where an owl was, and him chasing the owl all through the woods and subsequently driving it away, I never tell anyone where my spots are now.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,310 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 07, 2010 12:00 |  #19

400dabuser wrote in post #10312991 (external link)
Isn't landscape part and parcel of the wildlife? There are animals in the landscape

Yes. However, I think you may have misinterpreted my meaning and looking at my post, it appears to be poorly-worded and my fault. I will edit it. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Website (external link) |

RichSoansPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 10, 2010 15:33 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

CannedHeat wrote in post #10318122 (external link)
Yes. However, I think you may have misinterpreted my meaning and looking at my post, it appears to be poorly-worded and my fault. I will edit it. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

No probs

I think manufacturers shouldn't allow GPS info to be stored on the EXIF info, this will lead to unscrupulous people to find where you have been

tk421ek
24 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 07, 2010 00:00 |  #21

Wildlife spots are certainly not permanent. Take the shots while you can and pray it stays the same. Maybe tell a good friend or two in confidence.

BradM
Goldmember
1,508 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 09, 2010 08:00 as a reply to  @ tk421ek's post |  #22

Wildlife are creatures of habit as much as people are, find them someplace for a particular reason you will find them there again for the same reason.

But it depends on the reason, if a bear is in a huckleberry patch in late summer looking for it there in the spring is probably a waste of time. Understanding the reasons and the animal means a much higher percentage of locating the animal.

As to sharing locations I always have several locations for the same species that I might shoot. I never share my favorites but will share some locations.

Want to shoot owls, bears, coyotes or just about anything native to the PNW I can put someone in a location to get a shot, however they rarely have the patience to wait for the subject.

It ain't a zoo out there and most people feel 20 minutes is a waste of time let alone often the hours or days it takes to get a shot.

Shaking like a hypertensive squirrel on meth? Buy IS, cheaper than detox & it works.

www.bradmanchas.zenfol​io.com (external link)
The gear list

RichSoansPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 09, 2010 08:26 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

BradM wrote in post #10504812 (external link)
Wildlife are creatures of habit as much as people are, find them someplace for a particular reason you will find them there again for the same reason.

But it depends on the reason, if a bear is in a huckleberry patch in late summer looking for it there in the spring is probably a waste of time. Understanding the reasons and the animal means a much higher percentage of locating the animal.

As to sharing locations I always have several locations for the same species that I might shoot. I never share my favorites but will share some locations.

Want to shoot owls, bears, coyotes or just about anything native to the PNW I can put someone in a location to get a shot, however they rarely have the patience to wait for the subject.

It ain't a zoo out there and most people feel 20 minutes is a waste of time let alone often the hours or days it takes to get a shot.

If I knew a secret place, I would stay all day I would love to be surrounded by the fact that this is exclusive to me, in order for me to stop coming back to it I would have to stay in the same place for as long as possible

RichSoansPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 09, 2010 08:27 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

tk421ek wrote in post #10490477 (external link)
Wildlife spots are certainly not permanent. Take the shots while you can and pray it stays the same. Maybe tell a good friend or two in confidence.

Maybe I would tell a good friend, but I would have to know that person's feelings about wildlife before I could tell them. It would suck if they then turned around and told their friends without regards to the local environment

Youngback
135 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 10, 2010 08:58 as a reply to  @ RichSoansPhotos's post |  #25

I second what Canonloader had to say. Too many idiots out there who won't appreciate the rarity of a place and either ruin it themselves or tell someone else who will ruin it.

The Mafia have a saying about this. Seems they are pretty knowledgeable about how the secret industry works.

"3 people can keep a secret if 2 of them are dead"

My Gear List

BradM
Goldmember
1,508 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 10, 2010 09:46 |  #26

Youngback wrote in post #10510512 (external link)
I second what Canonloader had to say. Too many idiots out there who won't appreciate the rarity of a place and either ruin it themselves or tell someone else who will ruin it.

The Mafia have a saying about this. Seems they are pretty knowledgeable about how the secret industry works.

"3 people can keep a secret if 2 of them are dead"

Never realized that Benjamin Franklin was in the mafia? A Freemason certainly but the mafia.... what do you know?

Shaking like a hypertensive squirrel on meth? Buy IS, cheaper than detox & it works.

www.bradmanchas.zenfol​io.com (external link)
The gear list

RichSoansPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 10, 2010 12:01 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

canonloader wrote in post #10317998 (external link)
After showing one photographer where an owl was, and him chasing the owl all through the woods and subsequently driving it away, I never tell anyone where my spots are now.

Yup, glad you have seen it for yourself

Youngback
135 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 11, 2010 00:37 as a reply to  @ RichSoansPhotos's post |  #28

Maybe the Mafia are big fans of Ben Franklin? ;)

My Gear List

mtndo
235 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 17, 2010 08:36 |  #29

I learned a long time ago there are few people you can trust when it comes to secret hot spots. Before long they're telling their friends about these spots as well. Though I wouldn't lie or tell half truths there are VERY few people I would EVER tell about any of my secret spots.

Larry

Gear List: 5D II w/grip, 7D Mk. II, 50 /f1.8, 50/f1.4, 85/f1.8, 24/f3.5 II TS-E, 90/f2.8 TS-E, 135/f2, 180/f3.5 macro, 300/f4 IS, 300/f2.8 IS, 400/f5.6, 500/f4 IS, 17-40/f4, 28-70/f2.8, 24-105/f4 IS, 70-200/f4 IS, 70-200/f2.8 IS, 100-400/f4.5-5.6 IS, 1.4x II ext, 2x II ext, 2x III, 5-580 EX II & way too much other gear to list.

sponsored links

5,062 views & 5 likes for this thread
If you found a secret place...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.