Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 09 Jul 2010 (Friday) 09:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first time shooting kids - so difficult

Big ­ G
332 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 09, 2010 09:34 |  #1

Kudos to those of you that do Children's photography. Those that do this regularly how do you keep their attention? I am used to older kids and teenagers - essentially those that will take direction :)

The main thing is Mum and Dad were happy. I did this as a favour for a friend of mine.

Anyway three from the hour.

C&C welcome.

1. Added a slight tint to the B&W

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: script
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: script
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4776769339_49144223fc_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4077/4776769451_8a6a9f0e18_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4776769611_f6a8219987_o.jpg

S100, 1000D (My first DSLR) plus 5D and various lenses
Full Gear List
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Buckieh
220 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 09, 2010 09:44 |  #2

Shooting... Kids... Whats not to love!

Gear: 450d, 18-55mm, 17-85mm, Canon 50mm f/1.4 Tiffen 67mm CP, Dolica AX620B100 Tripod, CS4, DA camera bag
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/buckieh/ (external link)

LizzieJ
214 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 09, 2010 14:38 |  #3

Yep, kids are tough! But you are off to a great start. I will say that 1 hour of continuous shooting in a studio setting is quite a long time for those ages. They might need breaks and a change of scenery every now and then. My one suggestion here would be to get rid of the logo on the shorts in #3, it's distracting. Good work though!

www.meganjohnsphotogra​phy.com (external link)
Stuff I have: 5DII | 24-70 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 | 85 1.8 | 430ex & 580ex

chilli710
511 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 09, 2010 14:51 |  #4

I am a 100% children only shooter. It does take some practice:) You have to be willing to interact with them and not focus so much on the shot. I promise, if you act silly with them, talk to them make funny noises and ask ridiculous questions "the" shot will happen on it's own. I always have parents leave the room (unless the child is fearful), I let them know that I want the kids to interact with me and not preform for them. The parents usually talk to the children about "picture day" days before our session- I let my clients know that they should not tell the kids beforehand. Just let them come and be relaxed and ready to play:)

It looks like your lights are a bit high. You can tell especially in #1 where the older boy has no catchlight from your lighting. The b/w look a little muddy and flat to me (just my opinion though, you might prefer less contrast to your b/w) and the color looks like the red channel is blown.

I like #2 best because of the crop. Watch for chin crops as seen in number one as well as cropping at joints such as knees in number three.

It looks like you are using 2 lights. Have you tried a single light and a reflector for fill? If you look at my website (www.carilynphotography​.com (external link)) I use that setup for at least 85% of my shots. I prefer a touch more shadowing to contour those cute faces:)

Hope you don't mind the CC:)
Cari

Canon girl turned Nikon
Nikon D700
50mm 1.4g,85mm 1.4d, Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro
www.carilynphotography​.com (external link)

Big ­ G
THREAD ­ STARTER
332 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 09, 2010 16:05 |  #5

chilli710 wrote in post #10507056 (external link)
Hope you don't mind the CC:)
Cari

I don't mind at all, in fact its really good feedback.

When you say "your lights are a bit too high" do you mean too far off the ground or the power output is to high. I think you mean the first. Just want to check. I had them at about 8' - I do not own a reflector.

Love the shots on your site. I like the "unsaturated style". I did a few with the colour desaturated, my friend did not like them :( As usual, what photographers like and what Mum wants are not the same :)

S100, 1000D (My first DSLR) plus 5D and various lenses
Full Gear List
Flickr (external link)

HeleneD
Goldmember
1,822 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 09, 2010 17:23 |  #6

#2 is adorable.

I recommend bribes. I also watched a photographer in studio use bubbles with the little ones. He would set focus and use his remote trigger while he would blow a bubble and catch it with the wand. The second he got their attention and smiles he would hit the remote. He got some great shots.

Canon 5D3
35L, 85L, 24-70L, 70-200L
FACEBOOK (external link)
flickr (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)

sponsored links

1,293 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first time shooting kids - so difficult
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.