Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 00:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is dust on 24-70L covered by warranty?

jclaveria
546 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 10, 2010 00:48 |  #1

I went to Antelope Valley Slot Canyons last weekend and was not prepared for what's coming. In short, I ended up with a 24-70 with the focusing ring sounding screechy when I rotate. Otherwise, everything is fine.

I live near the Canon Facility in Irvine. My lens is dated August 2009. Will this be covered by the warranty?

Also, I need to know whether I can just walk in?

Gear List

sponsored links
MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 10, 2010 01:20 |  #2

jclaveria wrote in post #10509429 (external link)
I went to Antelope Valley Slot Canyons last weekend and was not prepared for what's coming. In short, I ended up with a 24-70 with the focusing ring sounding screechy when I rotate. Otherwise, everything is fine.

I live near the Canon Facility in Irvine. My lens is dated August 2009. Will this be covered by the warranty?

Also, I need to know whether I can just walk in?

Absolutely. That is outside of the operational norm. Take it in before the warranty expires and ask that they remove any dust and note the focus ring issue. If you walk right in, you're bound to get MUCH faster (and likely better) service.

You need to bring in a dated receipt proving it is under warranty--bring the warranty card along if you have it, but the receipt is an absolute necessity.

My Gearlist

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 10, 2010 01:21 |  #3

I would send it in. That lens should be dust sealed and should be able to handle some extreme conditions.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

jclaveria
THREAD ­ STARTER
546 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 10, 2010 01:29 as a reply to  @ SiaoP's post |  #4

Thanks for the response.

I bought the lens from another photographer who was not able to provide me the receipt although obviously the lens as well as the warranty card shows the date stating 3rd week August 2009.

I wonder if they let it pass without the receipt.

I have the same impression that L lens are sealed very well for extreme conditions. Maybe not for very fine dust. It hurts to hear that sound when you adjust the focusing ring.

Gear List

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 10, 2010 01:32 |  #5

jclaveria wrote in post #10509534 (external link)
Thanks for the response.

I bought the lens from another photographer who was not able to provide me the receipt although obviously the lens as well as the warranty card shows the date stating 3rd week August 2009.

I wonder if they let it pass without the receipt.

I have the same impression that L lens are sealed very well for extreme conditions. Maybe not for very fine dust. It hurts to hear that sound when you adjust the focusing ring.

Sadly, no. You will not get by without a receipt. I would attempt to contact that photographer to get a copy--it really should be no skin off their backs, especially if it was purchased through an online retailer.

Without a receipt, you will pay out-of-pocket. The easiest of jobs will run around $75. Note that in SOME instances, people have reported walking in with lens outside of warranty and getting free service. You might luck out--but don't go in there expecting it. The only surefire way to get free service is with the original receipt in tow.

My Gearlist

jclaveria
THREAD ­ STARTER
546 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 10, 2010 02:05 as a reply to  @ MOkoFOko's post |  #6

Thanks. I have emailed the original owner. Hopefully he'll get it to me. Thanks for the response again.

Gear List

phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 10, 2010 03:54 |  #7

I'd be pissed if they said they need a receipt, the date code is proof that it must be under warranty.

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jul 10, 2010 04:30 |  #8

phreeky wrote in post #10509843 (external link)
I'd be pissed if they said they need a receipt, the date code is proof that it must be under warranty.

This is true but the date code does not indicate the original owner.Canon warranties are not transferable.

Gear List

supraman2133
118 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 10, 2010 04:33 |  #9

Yeah. How could the lens be outside of warranty when the life of the lens is still under 1 year. There are probably lens that's been sitting on the shelf for some time and then was bought, so a receipt is the needed for proof.

Gear List + Feedback

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jul 10, 2010 05:13 |  #10

supraman2133 wrote in post #10509920 (external link)
Yeah. How could the lens be outside of warranty when the life of the lens is still under 1 year. There are probably lens that's been sitting on the shelf for some time and then was bought, so a receipt is the needed for proof.

The lens could be stolen. I can understand Canon requiring proof of legitimate ownership.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

woehlerking
456 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 10, 2010 06:53 |  #11

SkipD wrote in post #10509999 (external link)
The lens could be stolen. I can understand Canon requiring proof of legitimate ownership.

This may sound nieve but why would canon care if it is stolen.Also I have many lenses that have no receipt none are stolen.

gear
https://photography-on-the.net …p=10063848&post​count=2316

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,302 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 10, 2010 07:10 |  #12

phreeky wrote in post #10509843 (external link)

The date code is the date of manufacturer, not of purchase. It is possible that the lens was made some time before it was sold especially in this instance where we are only 3 weeks away from August. Heck, the lens could have been sitting in a warehouse for weeks or even months before it was sold.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 10, 2010 11:12 |  #13

woehlerking wrote in post #10510186 (external link)
This may sound nieve but why would canon care if it is stolen.Also I have many lenses that have no receipt none are stolen.

They care, apparently. If an owner provides proof of ownership and reports it to Canon, it is flagged. There has been at least one report in these forums of a person buying a used lens and having it confiscated when they had it sent in for servicing.

SkipD wrote in post #10509999 (external link)

You're the only one. The vast majority of people do NOT keep receipts for their purchases. They must all have been stolen.

malla1962 wrote in post #10509906 (external link)
This is true but the date code does not indicate the original owner.Canon warranties are not transferable.

Incorrect. Read the terms of the warranty--warranty will transfer in cases where it is given as a "gift". In other words, all you need is a copy of the original receipt. It's amazing how many people get this fact WRONG.

My Gearlist

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 10, 2010 11:22 |  #14

MOkoFOko wrote in post #10510986 (external link)
They care, apparently. If an owner provides proof of ownership and reports it to Canon, it is flagged. There has been at least one report in these forums of a person buying a used lens and having it confiscated when they had it sent in for servicing.

You're the only one. The vast majority of people do NOT keep receipts for their purchases. They must all have been stolen.

Incorrect. Read the terms of the warranty--warranty will transfer in cases where it is given as a "gift". In other words, all you need is a copy of the original receipt. It's amazing how many people get this fact WRONG.

And you know that how? Most people that I know keep receipts for big-ticket items such as expensive camera gear. Helps for warranty purposes, and also for insurance and sales tax deductions, as well as depreciation if used professionally. Blanket statements such as yours are generally unsubstantiated in fact.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,302 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 10, 2010 12:07 |  #15

MOkoFOko wrote in post #10510986 (external link)
You're the only one. The vast majority of people do NOT keep receipts for their purchases. They must all have been stolen..

People should read what they sign up for. Nearly all warranties I've ever read require proof of purchase. What better proof is there than the receipt?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

2,983 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is dust on 24-70L covered by warranty?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.