Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Jul 2010 (Sunday) 01:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Editing Assistance - "Stack" 13 photos on top of each other

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 11, 2010 01:15 |  #1

Picture a parking lot with 15 cars in 15 spaces. We used those cars to 'fill up' the whole parking lot by moving them. Snap photo. Move them. Snap photo.

Now how can I edit it? Essentially I need to grab the cars from each layer and place it on the 'main' image. Auto-Blend is terrible. Simply erasing parts or the top layer to let it show through will then be over the edge into the next layer and does not look right?

Any assistance? Ideas? Thought? Strategies?

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

sponsored links
Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 11, 2010 01:37 |  #2

Have you acquired the images yet?

If not, mount the camera on a tripod and shoot your 15 shots, then yes, you can just cut and paste them in. As you tidy up the edges, if you find the are too sharp, then increase the feather of the eraser tool.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

dinanm3atl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 11, 2010 01:57 |  #3

I shot it already. On a tripod. No problem at all!

"Cut and paste"? IE take what parts I want and paste them in?

1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC

spuddevans
111 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 11, 2010 02:16 |  #4

Sounds like a job for Layer Masks, just get all the pictures on seperate layers, then apply layer masks to all layers, then just paint in required cars with a soft edged brush on each layer mask.

Tim

Canon 400D, 7D, EF50mm 1.8, EFS17-85mm, 135mm pentax m42 2.8, 2 sets of m42 extension tubes, 1 m42 macro bellows. Ps elements 1,5 & 8
My gallery: www.velvet-art.co.uk (external link)

dinanm3atl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 11, 2010 02:18 |  #5

spuddevans wrote in post #10514556 (external link)
Sounds like a job for Layer Masks, just get all the pictures on seperate layers, then apply layer masks to all layers, then just paint in required cars with a soft edged brush on each layer mask.

Tim

Where is the 'soft edge brush'. And set the brush color to black? Select the layer mask on each layer and paint it in essentially?

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 11, 2010 02:38 |  #6

If the Layers Mask Routine is too complicated then:

Pick any image at random for your "initial" image and load it into Photoshop.

Load a second image at random.

Copy/Paste the second image into the first, which creates a second layer of the second image on top of the first.

Using any method you feel comfortable with, loosely (precision not needed here) select just the car and it's shadow on the second layer.

Invert the selection.

Cut the inverted selection.

If done right the second layer now consists of just the car and nothing else. The now gone cut areas of the second layer (most of it) allow the first layer to show through, so you should see two cars.

Use a soft edge eraser tool to "tidy up" the cut edge on the second layer.

Repeat 14 more times.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

broadcast_techie
180 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 11, 2010 02:41 |  #7

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=DA8TgyTruV8 (external link) should answer your questions

dinanm3atl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 11, 2010 02:42 |  #8

Thanks guys... I will get there...

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 11, 2010 06:43 |  #9

It sounds like you want to make something like a "realistic looking collage" rather than just trying to blend layers together. In other words, correct me if I'm wrong, but you want to be able to place each car in a chosen spot at a chosen size that would not overlap the others, at least in an obtrusive way. If that's the case, you want to select each car and place that selection on its own layer so you can move it, size it, do processing on it at will.

Or maybe I'm missing your objective here...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Edsport
662 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 11, 2010 07:55 |  #10

To make it as simple as possible. Open 2 or more pics in photoshop, go to select and choose all, go to edit and copy. Now go to the other pic and click on edit and paste. Use the eraser or history brush from and erase the car into the pic. Do this with all the other pics, just paste into the main pic and you're done...

Cameras - Canon 350D, 5D
Lenses - Canon 18-55mm, 75-300mm, 50mm f/1.8, 24-105L, 24-70L
Flashes - Yongnuo YN460 II, YN468
RF-602 transmitter and 2 receivers

PhotosGuy
75,898 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 11, 2010 08:40 |  #11

broadcast_techie wrote in post #10514602 (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=DA8TgyTruV8 (external link) should answer your questions

More: Need to remove a background from something?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

dinanm3atl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 11, 2010 11:23 |  #12

I will upload a handful of the photos here so you get an idea... There are 15 or so cars in each photo. We moved them and took another shot. So using 15 cars and 13 photos we 'filled up the lot'.

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 11, 2010 13:57 |  #13

dinanm3atl wrote in post #10515952 (external link)
I will upload a handful of the photos here so you get an idea... There are 15 or so cars in each photo. We moved them and took another shot. So using 15 cars and 13 photos we 'filled up the lot'.

Good idea - I look forward to seeing them.

Rad

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 11, 2010 14:28 |  #14

My understand of your original post is that you want to create a composite giving the impression of a full parking lot. I don't see how opening the image in layers will work since it wouldn't show the entire span of the parking lot....which I think is what you want to show.

Here's how I would do it.

1. Start Photoshop and create a new file (File > New). for the dimensions you can input the total width and height of ALL the images you want to use. So if you have 13 images that are 300 x 200 each; the dimensions for your new image will be 3900 x 2600.

2. Now open the photos of the cars in Photoshop and use the Move Tool (V) to drag each photo individually and drop them into place on the large canvas you created. Presumably the parking lots has the spaces marked by lines so you can use the lines to line up the photos correctly. As you move each image; they will be placed in their own separate layer. You can also use the Nudge command (the arrow keys) to line them up precisely.

3. You may need to do some cloning and/or edge blending to finalize the composite.

Obviously you can tell from the steps I described that you can't open all the photos in layers then try to move them around because the canvas would not be large enough and if you attempted to add a new layer and increase its size it will also increase the size of the layered photos. Doing it like I described would be similar to putting a jigsaw puzzle together. If the table isn't large enough for the puzzle it will never fit. And stacking the puzzle pieces in layers means that you aren't putting the puzzle together.

dinanm3atl wrote in post #10514374 (external link)
Picture a parking lot with 15 cars in 15 spaces. We used those cars to 'fill up' the whole parking lot by moving them. Snap photo. Move them. Snap photo.

Now how can I edit it? Essentially I need to grab the cars from each layer and place it on the 'main' image. Auto-Blend is terrible. Simply erasing parts or the top layer to let it show through will then be over the edge into the next layer and does not look right?

Any assistance? Ideas? Thought? Strategies?

Gear List

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 11, 2010 14:49 |  #15

PixelMagic wrote in post #10516706 (external link)
My understand of your original post is that you want to create a composite giving the impression of a full parking lot. I don't see how opening the image in layers will work since it wouldn't show the entire span of the parking lot....which I think is what you want to show.

OHhhh! [Where's that damned "light bulb" smiley?]

dinanm3atl, are you saying that each of your photographs is of a different area of the parking lot? As in, move the cars and move the camera (or at least, move where it's pointed)?

All of my post have been assuming that the entire parking lot was visible in each of the photos, that the only thing changing was the car placement.

Please help me understand what you have going on.

Rad

sponsored links

6,455 views & 0 likes for this thread
Editing Assistance - "Stack" 13 photos on top of each other
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.