Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Jul 2010 (Monday) 20:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens for Reputations

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 12, 2010 22:15 |  #31

AdamC wrote in post #10525019 (external link)
Well, my philosophy was this:

1. Buy once, buy right
2. Glass before bodies
3. Allow for the possibility of upgrading away from crop body

Hence, I started with a 400D twin lens kit, and over a period of 3 years replaced the two lenses with 70-200/4 and 17-40. Yet, I do not suffer "L lust" nor am I motivated by my ego in any of my purchases.

The 17-40 goes very nicely on my new 5D2, whereas if I had bought a crop-only lens instead, I would now be up for another $1,200 to replace it with something more suitable.

our philosophies are different...mine is more of a buy for what you have now...

if you had bought a crop only lens i'm assuming you'd just sell it and get something more suitable...maybe you'd be out $100...which isn't that bad over 3 years time...and you'd probably have shots that you couldn't have gotten with the 17-40mm

when i say L lust i don't really mean it as a bad thing...i think people see the 17-40L and think...it's an L, it's the focal range i want...it must be the best option...i'm not sure that it is though

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
gkarris
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 12, 2010 22:18 |  #32

What am I doing in this thread?

I can only DREAM about looking at one from afar...

(runs off crying...)

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 13, 2010 00:41 |  #33

There are plenty of cases where a non-L is "better". And by that I mean more appropriate for me.

Some examples:
- Tamron 28-75, I greatly prefer over the Canon due to size (it's my walkaround so it's size/weight is an advantage)
- Sigma 150 macro (Canon don't make an equiv)
- Canon 70-300 IS, I like being able to rapidly go from 70mm to 300mm in a relatively compact lens which the 70-200 cannot (i.e. need to switch in a TC)

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 13, 2010 01:11 |  #34

phreeky wrote in post #10525814 (external link)
There are plenty of cases where a non-L is "better". And by that I mean more appropriate for me.

Some examples:
- Tamron 28-75, I greatly prefer over the Canon due to size (it's my walkaround so it's size/weight is an advantage)
- Sigma 150 macro (Canon don't make an equiv)
- Canon 70-300 IS, I like being able to rapidly go from 70mm to 300mm in a relatively compact lens which the 70-200 cannot (i.e. need to switch in a TC)

The 70-300 IS is an excellent lens--one that not enough people respect due to the similar pricing of the 70-200mm f/4 non-IS.

My Gearlist

sangjiny
760 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 13, 2010 01:14 |  #35

smilebug wrote in post #10524529 (external link)
So does anyone think getting an L lens will prove them better than other people? ???

I bet there will be some who are in denial and some others who will not confess. :p

Now where do I fit in...?

Leica M9
Pentax 645D
Rolleiflex 2.8FX
Mamiya 7
Zeiss ZI Ikon

mike ­ cabilangan
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 13, 2010 01:29 |  #36

DreDaze wrote in post #10525097 (external link)
our philosophies are different...mine is more of a buy for what you have now...

if you had bought a crop only lens i'm assuming you'd just sell it and get something more suitable...maybe you'd be out $100...which isn't that bad over 3 years time...and you'd probably have shots that you couldn't have gotten with the 17-40mm

when i say L lust i don't really mean it as a bad thing...i think people see the 17-40L and think...it's an L, it's the focal range i want...it must be the best option...i'm not sure that it is though

i had/have the same train of thought.

i was choosing a mid zoom for my crop cam. 17-50 2.8 VC vs 17-40L.
faster + VC vs. L lust + free UWA

chose the tamron (and i already had the FF cam then). am really happy with my decision.

but alas. L lust didn't do me in. gear lust will. i'm researching UWA's now ... and the 17-40L is winning against the 12-24 for FF or 8-16 for crop.

i promise to do comparisons of the 17-50 and 17-40 on crop :D

camera bag reviews (external link)
flickr (external link)gearLust

iwasinvertedx
718 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 13, 2010 01:48 |  #37

i use L lenses because i want to.
but i can quit any time i want.
i dont NEED them.

its not an addiction like nicotine or other substances.

Portfolio (external link)

frankchn
460 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 13, 2010 04:22 |  #38

I buy L lenses because there is usually nothing better in that focal length in terms of lens features or speed from any other manufacturer at the time of purchase.

JaapW
107 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 13, 2010 04:34 |  #39

MOkoFOko wrote in post #10525903 (external link)
The 70-300 IS is an excellent lens--one that not enough people respect due to the similar pricing of the 70-200mm f/4 non-IS.

I see that you have the Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM in your gear. I currently have the 70-300 IS USM, but I can't help thinking that the 70-200 would be much better.

Would you think it would be a good step forward in terms of image quality, sharpness & color to upgrade from the 70-300 IS USM to the 70-200 F4 IS USM or would it mostly be a waste of money?

I don't really care about the fact that the 70-200 is an L lens or that it is white (;)), I just want nice and sharp pictures :)

7D | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 60mm Macro f/2.8 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II

Rsyx
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 13, 2010 04:45 |  #40

To me, the rendering of a lens is at least as important as the focal length or maximum aperture. If a lens is great on paper, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's producing the "best bokeh" (you can only qualify this for yourself as this is highly subjective) and renders the nicest (also highly subjective).

I personally don't like the way the Sigma lenses render for example, so decided not to buy a 70mm macro or 105mm macro. The lenses I do like are generally L primes, Zeiss primes, some of the other fast Canon primes and only a few zooms to be honest. I might buy a Canon 50mm f/1.4 soon, and would personally pick this lens over the Sigma counterpart any day.

5D II + ZE 50 MP

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jul 13, 2010 05:19 |  #41

smilebug wrote in post #10524529 (external link)
After posting my "master plan" thread, a question popped up in my head.

Do people buy L lens because they want a good reputation, and be proud of putting an "L" lens in their gear? There are great third party lens, some even better than the Canon brands, so I'm just curious.

Yea, this was definitely me. I wanted the reputation in having an L lens. Well, I had many L lens, and they all have come and gone. Partially, because I suck at picking lens, but the other part, because I missed having an L lens in my gear. But compared to having it as a something just to look at, I would rather have something to use. I might just get the tammy.

So does anyone think getting an L lens will prove them better than other people? ???

My choice to use Canon's "L" lens family had absolutely nothing in the world to do with what other folks would think about them.

When I bought my 20D (my first Canon SLR), I got it with the 16-35 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8L, and 70-200 f/2.8L IS lenses. My reasons were rather simple. These lenses are TOOLS. I wanted the following features which this set of three lenses gave me:

1. All of these lenses are constant-aperture lenses, allowing me to change focal lengths without worrying about changing exposure limitations.

2. All of these lenses have a maximum aperture of f/2.8, allowing me to occasionally work with lower light levels than I could with consumer-grade zoom lenses.

3. All of these lenses have very similar controls (particularly the focus and zoom rings being in the same relative positions and turning the same way for the same action), so I don't have to "re-learn" anything when changing lenses.

4. All of these lenses have full-time-manual focus capability which matches my mostly-manual style of shooting.

5. All of these lenses have much better manual focus controls - with a greater movement for small focus changes - than many of the consumer-grade (especially the "kit") lenses I had tried out.

6. All of these lenses have optical qualities, build qualities, and feel that are on a par with my old Nikkor lenses that I used with my Nikon F cameras (circa 1967 or so) for many years.

7. All of these lenses have the same 77mm filter threads, allowing me to use only one polarizing filter (and any other types I may buy in the future) for all of the lenses.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 13, 2010 05:49 |  #42

I was testing out a Sigma 120-400mm OS lens.

The results seemed *OK*, especially considering the price but I wasn't quite satisfied.

I went and tested out the Canon 100-400mm IS L lens, I even asked the dealer to let me use one of their Rental Copies for the test. They brought out the worse rental copy they had and I went about doing some shooting.

Now my testing is informal but 'real world'. What I did was shoot a person with the lens at 400mm. I was using SPOT single center focal point and the person was no bigger than the AF target in the lens.

The idea was to see in that shot which lens gave me a better looking person when I 'pixel peeped'.

Even on the cameras LCD sensor I could tell that the Canon image was better.

When I pixel peeped there was no competition.

Canon gave me a sharper image, and the better color rendition added to that as well.

But again you have to decide for yourself. ....

Sigma 120-400mm OS @ $899
Canon 100-400mm IS L @ $1500

In my opinion, and for what I want to shoot it is worth every penny I had to steal to get the Canon! :lol:

So my kids will be eating Corn Flake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a while. If they get bored with that, I have some Cheerios as well !!!!

Every once in a while, to make it special I buy them some milk. They get excited seeing milk in the cereal instead of tap water!!!

Oh the sacrifices we must make to have what we must have!!! :lol:

FWIW: I had a recent experience with Canon Service in New Jersey - that experience has given me even more confidence in Canon!!!

The images you produce we give you the reputation you deserve ...
not the camera around your neck or the lens attached to it !

ErnieT
717 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 13, 2010 05:59 |  #43

I've bought lenses of all makes and models, and i've settled with L's because they are what i need to get the job done. I would like though a Sigma 30mm 1.4, seems like a great lens!

Many non-L's that i've had have been great! 85mm 1.8, MP-E 65mm, even my first kit lens was good for what i wanted at the time.

Canon 5D MKIII, Canon 7D MKII, Canon 16-35 F4L IS, Canon 70-200mm F2.8, Canon 100-400 MKII, Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art

satuman
52 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 13, 2010 06:00 |  #44

+1 harkosparky

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 13, 2010 07:52 as a reply to  @ satuman's post |  #45

jwcdds wrote in post #10524880 (external link)
I buy "L" lenses because it boosts my internet-ego (as some would call it "E-peen") and makes me feel more important than I really am.

Someone has to say it, right? ;)

ZOMG! you're soooooo 1337!

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

sponsored links

6,865 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens for Reputations
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.