Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jul 2010 (Tuesday) 11:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good Reasons for a Landscape Shooter to move from 40D to 5D?

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,534 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 13, 2010 11:26 |  #1

Ive had my 40D for almost two years and although I started off using my camera fo more general purpose, Ive come to really only break it out for nature/landscape photography - I dont do much wildlife at all.

Ive been satisfied with the images out of the 40D, realizing that most of the shortcomings in my images are my own. However, we all get that "gear lust" from time to time and I get it every time I hear that FF and landscape were made for each other.

Ive seen some fantastic images coming out of the 5D and 40D here on POTN, but I can say I seem to notice there are more from the 5D.

My questions are:

• Are these differences real or imagined?
  • What benefit would a landscape photographer get from going FF given we can get just as wide with crop UWA's as FF UWA's these days and I dont care about thin DOF?
  • Will a person who does landscape images 95% of the time notice that much of a difference by going FF?
  • Given what I shoot, would I be just as well suited to going with the newer tech of the 7D? (5dII is out of the picture now due to price and lens lineup changes required, I have the 15-85 and sigma 100-300 f4)

Thanks everyone!

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
R6, EF16-35 f4 IS, EF 50 1.2, EF 100 2.8 IS Macro, 150-600C

sponsored links
snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 13, 2010 11:48 |  #2

I don't know and understand all the technical differences between the crop and FF sensor sizes, etc. Can tell you however that the 5D is incredible compared to even my 7D at resolving detail in what we term a 'landscape' image. Just incredible and can't be described until you see it.

That said, people are selling off 5D classic models at alarming rates making them what I'd consider a great buy and good foray into FF dslr. Picked mine up about 3 months ago with < 5k clicks for a great price.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 13, 2010 12:11 |  #3

The extra detail on a 5D is very real. There are sites that compare pictures taken from a 5D vs one from an XXD with the same lens. I'm not sure what part the sensor plays (maybe because of the lower noise?) but the weak AA filter definately allows sharper details to come through. Noise is also much nicer at higher ISOs than your 40D. Pretty much a no brainer if all you do is landscapes. You do lose live view though, in case that's a consideration.

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 13, 2010 12:22 |  #4

ingraman wrote in post #10528189 (external link)
The extra detail on a 5D is very real. There are sites that compare pictures taken from a 5D vs one from an XXD with the same lens. I'm not sure what part the sensor plays (maybe because of the lower noise?) but the weak AA filter definately allows sharper details to come through. Noise is also much nicer at higher ISOs than your 40D. Pretty much a no brainer if all you do is landscapes. You do lose live view though, in case that's a consideration.

Crop sensors have stronger AA filters, for one thing, and FF cameras have a stronger signal to noise ratio, for another.

It's also just like in the film days--an image from a larger sensor needs not be enlarged as much as one from a smaller sensor, all else being equal. Therefore, you have more detail.

|Fuji X-E2|Fuji X-E1|Fuji 18 f/2|Fuji 35 f/1.4|Fuji 60 f/2.4 macro|Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4|Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

http://www.newschoolof​photography.com/forum/ (external link)Where I Hone My Skillz (external link)
Where My "Serious" Stuff Is (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 13, 2010 12:31 |  #5

The real benefit of crop frame cameras is that the extremely long (and expensive) telephoto lenses needed for some subjects can be swopped for less extreme (and thus less expensive) ones by effectively swopping quality for reach.

It is rare for landscape photography to require these extreme lenses, a typical landscape lens is much more moderate, as is the price. So there is no need to give away the higher full frame quality.

Landscapes are also unlikely to move fast, so higher fps as offered by the croppers is not an advantage.

To be honest, we landscape 'togs would all be better off using medium format. The trouble is that the costs get ridiculous and what happens when we want to shoot a different subject, like motorsport as in my case? So its all a compromise.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 13, 2010 12:33 |  #6

Lowner wrote in post #10528323 (external link)
To be honest, we landscape 'togs would all be better off using medium format. The trouble is that the costs get ridiculous and what happens when we want to shoot a different subject, like motorsport as in my case? So its all a compromise.

I would love to shoot MF digital for portraits, as well, but it's still too cost prohibitive.

|Fuji X-E2|Fuji X-E1|Fuji 18 f/2|Fuji 35 f/1.4|Fuji 60 f/2.4 macro|Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4|Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

http://www.newschoolof​photography.com/forum/ (external link)Where I Hone My Skillz (external link)
Where My "Serious" Stuff Is (external link)

omer
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 13, 2010 12:39 as a reply to  @ Markitos's post |  #7

the 40D is a great Camera!
your 15-85 is a very good lens for crop body - but will not work on a FF
so you will have to buy new lense (e.g 17-40 - is great for landscape but you will need also a mid range such as the 50mm )

i have used 5D at it is a very good camera for landscape but I say stay with 40D and invest in more glass

R6 | 80D | 7D | M6 |RF24-105 STM|RF35 1.8| EF-S 15-85 |EF 70-300 L |Sig 150-600 C| Sig 10-20 | 50 1.8 |100 2.8 macro|28 F2.8 | efs24| efm 15-45| 270EX | 430EXII |

AMWC
38 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 13, 2010 12:39 |  #8

Not sure about the technical side, but I recently switched from 40D to 5D (II) and am very very happy. I shoot mostly landscapes and a good UWA on the 5d is magic. You WILL be happy with the change.

1D Mark III | 40D
16-35 2.8L II | 24-105 4.0L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 50 1.4 | 50 2.5 Macro

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Jul 13, 2010 12:45 |  #9

I wish I could find some solid information on AA filter strengths - it's extremely difficult to know that any difference seen in a comparison is due only to the AA filter.

Nevertheless, for a given print size, the image from a FF camera is enlarged less (by 1.6x) than from a crop camera. Thus, imperfections in acquisition parameters (focus, blur, shutterspeed etc, operator skills) will be 1.6x less "visible". Also the lens will be 1.6x less challenged. These are more important tfor larger prints.

My picture galleries (external link)

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 13, 2010 12:47 |  #10

http://digital-photography-school.com …or-which-is-right-for-you (external link)

This gives some insight on FF vs Crop. It indicates that for landscape FF is far better on IQ, but does not go into detail. I have the 5D and the IQ is as good or better than my 1D MIII. Most, if not all, experts seem to agree that FF is better than crop for shooting landscape. I'm sure there is something out there you can Google that will give details on the diff between the two.

kuvhmoob
293 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 13, 2010 12:56 |  #11

Going from the Rebel XT to the 5d is like night and day. It's like going from a Corolla to a Lexus. Trust me and the rest here saying it's a BIG difference...a decision I did not regret...pair it with a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and you got a winner !!

5D + Tamron 28-75, T2i + Tamron 17-50 non-VC, Panasonic Lumix LX7

luigis
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 13, 2010 12:59 |  #12

The big advantage of going FF is noise, if you like to shoot night landscapes then you need a FF body b-a-d-l-y.
For daytime landscapes your 40D will be more than enough.

I wouldn't recommend a 7D for you unless you really need the new AF system and since you almost don't use AF for landscapes it will be an overkill.

I know it will sound strange but did you consider a 550D ? You get the same sensor as the 7D without the bells& whitles, the IQ will be slightly better than the 40D and you get a 18mpx sensor for bigger prints and HD video.

www.luisargerich.com (external link)
Landscape Photography & Astrophotography
Follow me on Twitter (external link)
My Awesome Gear List

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 13, 2010 13:00 |  #13

It was true in the days of film and remains true today:

"A good big'un will always beat a good little'un". The reasons may be different with the different medium, but nothing has changed the facts.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 13, 2010 13:01 |  #14

The resolving power is real. At one time I went from a 40D to a 5Dc and looking at 100%, you can really see the resolution come through in landscapes. The trees in a distances, the little details, they all come to life.

Flickr (external link) ~ Instagram (external link)

MNUplander
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,534 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 13, 2010 21:09 |  #15

Interesting...Ill have to decide if its time to dump the 40D now...

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
R6, EF16-35 f4 IS, EF 50 1.2, EF 100 2.8 IS Macro, 150-600C

sponsored links

2,637 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good Reasons for a Landscape Shooter to move from 40D to 5D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.